Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage LIVE!!!! Arizona to Austin in real time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Ron, Mar 30, 2011.

1. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

OK, it's 12:39 here. Whats for lunch in El Paso?

2. In elpaso Rudys BBQ then van horn tx[​IMG][​IMG]

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You guys are makin' time!

4. Big Nick

Big Nick

Now Im hungry!

5. perkshotrods

perkshotrods

subscribed....Have fun

6. Van horn tx gas stop . Gonna keep going[​IMG]

7. MissPrint

MissPrint

Y'all are makin' mad time!

Don't forget -- check your speed as you near Ft. Stockton, or you'll have a loverly "present" to bring to Austin, from the Texas Highway Patrol ;) (and I'm not talking about the Jr. Brown song, either!)

Be safe! See y'all when you get here!!!

8. ELDANGEROSO

ELDANGEROSO

This is the exact gas station I went to to fill up my tow rig right after I bought my 59 chevy truck Tuson.. It was so freaking windy that I was almost scared to drive with that truck on my trailer.Interesting

9. Gas in fort Stockton and ran onto few more guys were gonna keep going[​IMG]

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Jesus! You guys are crankin'!!!!! Jerry hasn't broken anything yet?!?! That's got to be a record!

11. Keep the greasier side down!

You're putting down some mileage, good luck guys!

12. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

You are in no man's land now till you see the the hills of Kerrville. Don't fall asleep on that boring leg.

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just talked to Ron five minutes ago... He and Jerry made it as far as Fredricksburg tonight, what, about 60 miles away from Austin. Ron said his head lights had been getting dim on the way in and as they pulled into town, everything went dark and shut down. No restarty. A hotel has been procured, and massive amounts of sleep will ensue. I happen to know that Ron has both a generator and regulator on board the 227 bullet hole coupe, so repairs should be an easy deal in the AM after breakfast at the cool little joint on the main drag.
    On a memorable note, I once did a bit of flirting with a pretty cougar class dame with a great rack out side of that very establishment... The ice breaker? She was wearing a T-shirt with the slogan "Texas... It's bigger than France!!! How could you not?!

14. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

Yep Fredricksburg is a great place. They are just a couple hours away now.

15. thunderplex

thunderplex

"...She was wearing a T-shirt with the slogan "Texas... It's bigger than France!!!"

...now that's funny!!!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Okay gang... Just got off the phone with Hot Rod Ron and he and Jerry are busily changing out to the spare generator as we speak. Ron says he will send a picture of the carnage in just a bit! However, does anybody know of a generator shop in Austin that can handle the rebuild on his original generator? Like today?! He'd like to get in to some for rebuild today if he can so he has it for backup on the long trip home. If you know of such a place, Give me a call at 602 881 0175 or P.M. me and I'll get the info to him. Thanks!

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Okay, so in my bid to relay a funny story about boobs last night,(Best thing about boobs, they usually travel in pairs!) I forgot to mention the other small "break down" for our intrepid crew... Ron's Arizona license Plate made a successful bid for freedom somewhere in Texas last night! Probably laying by the side of I-10 plotting it's next move as we speak. to those that have seen the car, it was not his 1932 AZ copper plate that came off, but the modern one. Always fun to be a couple states away and realize you have no plate on your car! He managed to get an Az 3 day trip pass to get around and get home on down loaded this morning though so not all is lost. You can go along way on an Az three day trip pass though... Right Elpolacko?!?!

18. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

You don't need no stinkin' tags!

On my trip to Austin two years ago, I was running WELL expired tags on my F100 when I got pulled over just before midnight between El Paso and Van Horn. I'm slowing down, and I realize I'm getting tag-teamed by a state trooper AND Border Patrol. Fuck man! I'm suddenly awash with visions of them impounding my pickup, me missing the show, having to pay fines with money I don't have... real doom and gloom!

Well, between the old trooper digging the truck and the INS agent being a HAMB'er, I got off with just a written warning and a "have fun at the Roundup!" God Bless Texas!

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well, things aint going so good at this point! Jerry and Ron left Fredricksburg and were on their way into Austin, got seven miles and the replacement generator called it quits... New plan - Triple A tow to the Gerator rebuild shop recommended by ThunderRocket earlier today (thanks again dude), followed by some good old fashioned horseplay and general carousing with the various Continental members this evening! I love it when a plan comes together?!?! We'll see...
    Now here is the point where I have to say a very public "SORRY" to Jerry! Every post I made yesterday was questioning when he was going to break... turns out he's the rock in this deal! Who knew? P.S. I heard that maniacal laugh in the background on the last call!!!

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, making it to Austin on the hook is better than not making it to Austin at all.

21. Well were here and all is fixed. The shop that the car went too is Texas alternator starter services. Walking into the door with the coupe on the flat bed steve pfertner says you must be the guys that called this morning. Steve says give me all your parts and will test them all. Turns out to be a bad regulator and I ran off the battery till it was dead. I had a back up reg that was good so installed that orginal gen and steve recharged the battery. Fired up the coupe checked the voltage and were all good. Now comes the bill and when I ask steve tells me anyone crazy enough to drive all that way deserves a freebie. I was so shocked I could not take that offer so I bought a new regulator and said thank you. All I can say is Texas rocks with the most down too earth people thank you Texas. Now you all must give as much business to steve as possible who has been in business 30 years. Also special thank you to my fellow road warrior Jerry who's truck has been rock solid and has good jokes and easy laid back attitude durning the whole deal. Well in the hotel room gonna clean up and see what next adventure we can find. Also a big thank you too hamb family for the help and posts.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Wow! Glad to hear you got it worked out, Ron...

23. kisam

kisam

Cool! Looking forward to seeing you and Jerry. I better get working on finishing mine.

24. desertdroog

desertdroog

Jerry can take it and give it right back, I'm sure. He already did his shakedown on the way to LSRU 2 years ago. With the amount of mileage he puts on that rig around town every day, I'm sure it is as rock solid as ever.

Glad to hear you guys didn't get stuck on the open road overnight.

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, but I worry about Jerry's delicate nature and feelings.... Besides, his truck probably has nearly as many miles as my Plymouth! And we probably both hold records for that stuff!!!

26. ElTejano

ElTejano

Cool trip. I love crazy adventures. I bought a 61 Falcon wagon with a 170 sight unseen in Oregon and started driving it back to Austin the same day I got there. Saw it on Craigslist and flew up there to pick it up.

Coop pics.

27. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Cool trip Ron. Glad all worked out for ya.

28. I enjoyed keeping up with the trip and meeting you Ron on the garage crawl. I hope you have a safe uneventful trip home.

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just talked to Ron... He and Jerry made it as far as Demming, New Mexico tonight, and are currently holed up in a cheap motor court ready to crash! No real problems on either car to report save for a broken shock mount on Ron's coupe that he says will fix quickly in the morning. They should be home tomorrow! Happy driving boys!

30. Glad the trip is ending up well.
    Good luck