Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 or 5 window "AD" Trucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shocker, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Hopperstad Customs in Belvidere, Illinois did just that; personally I didn't care for it,...good thing that truck has air cuz there's gonna be a lot of sun/heat comin into that cab. I'jj try to get a pic of it.

2. Billa212

Billa212
    from Milwaukee

for purely aesthetic reasons, I prefer a 3 window

3. rat seeker

rat seeker

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I have driven both ... and I prefer the 5 Window cab. It is easier to see out of. I also like the more DeLuxe features ... I drove a 53 3100 all over the place ( as a stocker ) about 25 years ago. But I really like the 48/52 F1 FORD better. :D

5. I prefer the 5 window

BigMike

6. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

Actually the corner widows were always a stand alone option as well as part of option packages. I had one 5-window 55-1st and two 3-window 50's - all 3/4-tons. I can't say that I prefer one over the other.

7. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

I have a 5-window, which I prefer as it eliminates the blind spot in a 3-window. I actually like the look of the 3-window better, though. A friend installed a slightly larger rear window in his 3-window, and it really helped with visibility, and the proportions were such that it did not detract from the look of the truck. I think that is what I'd do if I were starting again. AD trucks are cool either way.

8. why pick just one?

51- 5 window
    54- 3 window

9. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a pic from Hopperstad's website. Very nice truck, but you are right, the bigger window doesn't improve the look IMHO.

Attached Files:

10. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

I've got a 5. But sometimes I kinda wish it was a 3.
    I don't really care for how the corners don't match the rear glass. I saw someone around here chopped the roof and balanced out the windows so the corner matched the back glass, I thought that looked good.

11. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I used to have a 49 5 window and just couldn't get over the urge to fill in the corner windows, so I sold it and picked up a 51 3 window and I love it.

Attached Files:

12. Big Nick

Big Nick

My 52 is a 3 window. I dig em both though really.

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like the 5 windows, but will take a 3 window in a pinch. had a 3 window a few years back. got it running and it had a dead cylinder so I sold it.

someone ought to sell corner glass with a 3" chop.

14. The Shocker

The Shocker

Neat idea ,but that looks really odd IMO with the bigger back glass ...

15. I had a three window, and everybody said "don't you like the ones with the little corner windows?". I liked the three window just fine, thank you. Kept it 12 years, and sold it when in a sort of bind-regretfully. Last year bought a five window, and now everybody says their dear old grandad had one JUST like it. Damn.

16. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Why pick just 2?!?!
    48 3 window
    49 5 window
    50 5 window
    3 54s 5 window
    49 1 ton panel...DARK AS A TUNNEL!

17. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I can't see the mismatch when I'm driving anyway! 3 windows are easier to chop...
    To each his own...or get a few!

18. krackerdave

krackerdave
    from mt vernon

3 windows better for choppin

19. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I have a '51 GMC five window that I have chopped.

I agree that the corner windows look like an after thought and so I chopped the corner windows but not the center window.

This makes all three windows the same height. It also makes it look like a Dodge.

The chop is done but there are several lifetimes of work left before the truck is ready to drive.

I would put a picture of what the rear of the cab looks like but I don't know how.:confused:

Attached Files:

20. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

apparently I do know how to attach pictures, I just didn't know it!

21. mastadon

mastadon

I like the look of a 3 window but my 5 window is way more practical as a daily driver in for the Houston trafic.I've never had anny issue with the heat from the extra glass.The cabs have great ventalation plus mine is painted white.

22. GhostTown

GhostTown
    from Idaho

I didn't know jack about AD trucks before I bought mine, but, I know I wouldn't have bought it when it presented it's self had it been a 3 window.

Now that I really love'm.. 3 or 5... doesn't matter one bit. I suppose I still like the 5's better for the vision though.

23. Drive my 3 window for 15 years daily but always wanted a 5 window.

24. K10

K10

[​IMG]
    Had a 3 window. Went to a 7 window.

25. jchav62

jchav62

I like em both, but back when I owned my '51 3 window, I always wished it were a 5 window. Probably one of those "the grass is always greener" things... It belongs to my brother now and I believe he is a 3 window fan...

Attached Files:

26. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I've owned both and like them both...5 windows have a little better visibility but if you have shoulder belts installed in your 5 window cab the windows are at risk of breakage.
    3 windows have an older look to them because of the small window opening....

Someone said earlier...get a few of each:):)

27. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

<---- 3 for me.

28. 58 wagon

58 wagon
    from tucson,az

i was into 48-52 f1s with my dad for a while sold um all and moved on and now i have my 50 5 window waiting for its turn but has anyone ever thaught of putting ad corner glass in an old f1? ive never seen one and as far as the 3 windows they look like plain old farm trucks to me

29. Montana 51

Montana 51

Mines a 3 window and I just like the way it looks, 5 windows are nice but I prefer the 3.

30. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I bought a 3 window and didn't think a thing about it, one way or another. A friend also bought a 3 window and went to the trouble of swapping tops with a 5 window.