Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1933 - 1936 Willys, picture thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by WillysRule, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Weasel

Weasel

A note here on 1933/34 vs. 1935/6 rear fenders. The 1933/34 fenders drooped at the rear and were wire bead reinforced around the wheel cut out. The 1935/36 type runs parallel to the ground and do not have the wire bead - they are simply folded over.

1933/34 fender on Mike Nordahl's coupe - note how it droops downward:

[​IMG]

1935/36 fender parallel to ground - note blind head bolt for new fender brace to replace wire bead around fender opening. These holes are often welded up for aesthetics, but this is factory correct:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. Weasel

Weasel

Here's the 1935 (wire wheels make it a 1935) factory brochure picture showing the parallel to the ground 1935/36 rear fender:
    [​IMG]

3. Weasel

Weasel

I have been looking for a while for these images which I had stored on an old computer which died. Here they are courtesy of conceptcarz.com. This stock 1933 standard rumble seat coupe (single wiper, painted not chromed hood doors, painted not chromed windshield frame, single tail light make it a standard) is a stunner:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Weasel

Weasel

5. Weasel

Weasel

1935? with 1933 rear fenders - seems more likely a 1933 or 1934 (wire wheels only in 1934 and 1935) that had been robbed of it's front clip....

[​IMG]

6. Weasel

Weasel

Another stock 1933 sedan....

[​IMG]

7. Weasel

Weasel

1936 sedan....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Weasel

Weasel

Jim Jerzak's steel coupe....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Weasel

Weasel

Another shot of that stock 1933 coupe from Indiana - this time with the owner....

[​IMG]

10. Weasel

Weasel

When I grow up I wanna '33 Willys....

[​IMG]

11. Weasel

Weasel

12. Weasel...Keep 'em coming...those are great sedan pictures, and mine is the same as Nordahl's Minerva. I knew about the fenders, but had not seen them as you showed...thanks for that. Like I said, need a few more sedan pictures for inspiration. The frame difference makes sense to me now also. Thanks again.
    g-willys

p.s. ...saw that pickup in a movie!

13. jn

jn
    from sweden

the cars are not at home but in a couple of weeks. i will put many pictures here then. one of the 3 willys are in great condition with maybe 1 hour welding, thats it. =) incredible find today!

14. Weasel

Weasel

Okay it must be 'Thirty Three Thursday' - here's one with 1936 wheels....

<center> [​IMG] </center>

15. Weasel

Weasel

Model 99 Coupe Artist's rendition from the factory brochure I have....

[​IMG]

16. Weasel

Weasel

This hasn't been posted yet I don't think. This roadster is now slightly past it's 'sell by' date - how very sad....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Man Weasel, what an incredible collection of images you have! Gotta say I appreciate you posting them. This thread is really cool and informative thanks to your input. Dig all the variety and various years of Willys shown in the two ongoing threads (okay, with the possible exception of the coupe race car in the other thread with the roof removed!).

18. 35willyspickup

35willyspickup
    from Hawaii

Reguarding the Edmission Brother's Willys that was also the Willys that Larry Moore (Desperado) ran, it still has the '81 and '82 southern California pro gas stickers on the dash. Yes it is in Hawaii, I got it from Eddie Taylor who ran it under the name "WW" (wicked willy) in Texas 5 years ago I took out the BBC put back a 426 hemi like the Edmission bro's ran it but this time blown, took out the olds rear sorry i had to cut the S&R (Steve Plueger) chassis and by the way it was still square, I added a fab 9 with 40 spline to handle the 1600hp. made a new bed and before it would race again Honolulu's only race track closed for good. So now i'm turning it into a street car till we get a track that everyone in Hawaii is waiting for. I added a chrome grill and working lights radiator in the bed etc. you know street car stuff. Take a look on youtube under ratcamaro or bbfc7397 or hawaiianch3no2 for some pics/video more comming..And if any one can help me I need a pair of the top windshield hinges for my truck Aloha. Timo

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  19. Weasel...still looking for a suggestion, idea or two regarding headlights for my '36 sedan. What are you using, how do they work for viewing at night? Anything you know of that has worked well in early Willys headlights? In my 39 coupe, I have halogen seal beams behind original glass...plenty of light, but the double prism effect throws it all over the place, and not necessarily on the road. Very easy to over drive your headlights. On my 41 pickup, I had original reflectors with a (Ron Francis) bright bulb in the original set up. It worked ok, but didn't cast the light out far enough like modern day lights. I have some reflectors for halogen bulbs that I will try to secure in original 36 buckets, and see how that works...they are bright, but I don't know how they will shine through original 36 glass. I am sure there are other Willys guys out there who have tackled the same problem...any ideas, pictures, products???
    g-willys

Attached Files:

20. Weasel

Weasel

Willys 77 headlights are notoriously poor. When my 1933 roadster was still running the original 6 volt setup, if there was a gap between street lamps in town, I would often stop and get out to see if the lights were on. A man with a lighted match walking in front of the car would have been an upgrade! You might look for a suitable sealed beam halogen unit and silicone it into the original headlight bucket or look at adapting your original reflectors to install a halogen bulb. I think Mike Nordahl at Willys Repacement Parts offers a shallow reflector which fits the original headlight bucket at $315 pair and I think these take a halogen bulb. As for the glass there is little you can do without changing the look of the car - installing pre '67 VW bug lights as I have seen done looks like crap IMO.

A note here - I use superbrite LED tail light bulbs from Jamstrait in my original Willys tail lights - both in my '1940s and Model 77s and the light output is clearly visible - a major improvement and lighting is a critical safety issue, as I value my original sheet metal!

www.jamstrait.com

Whatever you try I doubt if the solution is going to be up to modern car standards - I just try to avoid driving too much at night.

www.willysreplacementparts.com

21. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Didn't see this one on here so thought I would post it.

[​IMG]

22. Weasel

Weasel

^^^ I really wish you hadn't. I was hoping someone would post some more pictures or comments so that when I refresh this thread I do not have to keep seeing this totally inappropriate plastic clown car mutant freak that has absolutely nothing to do with traditional and must be making John North Willys turn in his grave.

In fact the sooner this thread runs to an additional page the happier I will be....

23. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

BTT hoping for that new page for Weasel...

24. Weasel

Weasel

25. Weasel

Weasel

Still desperately seeking more Model 77 photos to get that friggin frightmare:eek::eek::eek: out of my head - thanks for the bump rrbrucea.

This really nicely done 1936 sedan was recently sold. I saw it at Goodguys Del Mar in 2009. The Torq Thrusts look great....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Weasel

Weasel

Bob Sharp's all steel 1936 coupe - I see this car once in a while at the NHRA Museum Twilight Cruise in Pomona. Note the widened and modified rear fenders and the way they blend with the stock running boards - look like they came that way from the factory.....

[​IMG]

27. Weasel

Weasel

This one is currently for sale on that auction site - needs a lot of help....

[​IMG]

28. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Really love the look of the 36 front end! That 4-door sedan is a beaut too.

29. Weasel

Weasel

Woohoo - made it to the next page....:) This sedan is for sale for $1000 - price is not bad but the problem is that it it is located in Argentina....

[​IMG]

30. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

That grille and those (what are they '40 Ford?) headlights are a real shame...