Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powertrain Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Damien51, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Damien51

Damien51
    from Austin, Tx

I just bought a brand new engine and dropped it into my project. I got it all put back together and all the wiring and everything tested and hooked up right. It's complete and back in the car but it won't crank. It just clicks. I have bought a new battery and the starter is trying to turn the motor over and it's not turning it over. I have tried to turn the motor over manually and it will now not turn but it did when I first hooked it up to the trans. Can anyone out there tell me what could possibly be causing the motor not to turn over? Thanks.

2. Pro Shifted

Pro Shifted

I would pull the spark plugs and again try to roll the engine over by hand. Try not to use the balancer bolt as it may break. Install two long bolts in the lower pulley mounting holes and put your bar on those.

3. terryble

terryble
    from canada

More detail required; engine/trans type and brand and any other facts you may have

4. 32fordroadster

32fordroadster
    from Wisconsin

Do you have the right starter, it may have the wrong nose on it for the application. I have see them bind against the flywheel. I would oull the starter, then try turning the motor over with the damper.

5. Damien51

Damien51
    from Austin, Tx

I pulled the plugs still not turning. I have a 79' 351w with a c4 auto trans not sure of the exact year. It is the same powertrain I had in her prior I just bought a new long block from the local motor exchange. I am using the same starter, intake, and carb. Everything else hoses, gaskets, wiring, and oil pan all new that I've done and tested myself. I know a bit and been working with a member of my C.C. who knows even more and we are still perplexed by this. Had it been an older motor I would assume there was a problem with the valves or a rod but the engine is new. I assume it may be a Trans issue because I know very little about that. I just can't wrap my mind around this thing. I am just worried about buying a new starter because it seems like the engine would still turn manually. Thanks for any help.

6. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Converter bolts too long?
    Converter snout lined up with the front pump drive properly?
    Wrong or backwards flex plate?
    These and other things like em have stumped good mechanics before you.
    Not every remaned engine is properly assembled.
    Just sayin.

7. Capt Crash

Capt Crash
    from Colorado

Unbolt the converter from the flexplate. Maybe even loosen the bellhousing bolts a few turns so that they are still holding the engine in place but that they are finger tight at best. Now try to turn it over. I have seen where an auto trans can be bad and it can be locked up and the engine wont turn over. Also this will be something to start to narrow it down. Also take off the starter and try to turn it over by hand.
    Brian

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Take the starter off. See if the crankshaft moves either way any distance at all. Next step would be to loosen the transmission mounting bolts and see if it turns.

If the crankshaft turns just a slight amount back and forth it could be the camshaft retainer plate. If it turns about 1/2 turn back and forth it could be something on top of a piston.

9. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Did the transmission go against the block or did you have to help it with the bolts. Sounds like the torque converter is not seated in the transmision.

10. Damien51

Damien51
    from Austin, Tx

Ok so I took all the Trans bolts off and and got behind the flywheel with a flat head and wiggled on the torque converter from the bottom with the screw driver and now the engine turns easily and it is turning the fly wheel. I am assuming the issue is either between the converter and the fly wheel or converter is not seated in the transmission properly. I guess now I'll drop the trans back and try to line it all back up right. Thank you all for the suggestions and the help.

11. Reminds me of an episode somewhat beer influenced back in my younger years when a group of friends helped me install my newly rebuilt 327 in my 65 El Camino. There was a slight gap between the bell housing and the engine block. No problem just tighten the bolts some more. No more gap and engine won't turn over. Tried everything including aircraft nicad batteries I had access to. No help. Finally towed it and got the engine started but no go. Turns out the torque converter on the PG was not indexed into the front pump. Once we got it started we had no more front pump. Expensive lesson but the beer was good..

12. Damien51

Damien51
    from Austin, Tx

HA HA on the bright side the expensive lessons are the ones you never forget.

13. Damien51

Damien51
    from Austin, Tx

Got it figured out I assume that when I stabbed the motor I didn't get the converter all the way on to the input shaft/front pump seal. Thanks for the advice. If any of you are going to the Lone Star Round-up come find me, I'll buy you a beer. My C.C. Is the Kreatures C.C. We have a banner and a huge canopy you can't miss it.

14. You may look at the converter and make sure it is up against the flexplate properly. I had one that I didn't get the nub of the converter into the hole on the end of the crank and that was enough to bind it once. Take you about 10 minutes or 15 prior to dropping the tranny and that makes it worth a try.

15. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I have the same story, but mine was in a monte carlo. better to find that problem now, while the front pump is still in one piece. I ruined a perfectly good th400.