Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects engine poor thanks to the H.A.M.B and my dad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saints, Mar 29, 2011.

1. saints

saints

I remember being little and my dad saying he was project poor and I finally get what he was saying:D

Well about 2 weeks ago I was sitting in my chair wondering what I was going to put in my model a when I pull the banger out and I posted in the wanted that I was looking for a engine..... I was amazed how many people offered up to help my cause THIS IS A GREAT ONLINE COMMUNITY
    I jumped at the chance to get a 292 y-block from povertyflats and while I was sealing the deal and he was shipping I got a killer deal on 3 283's and 2 flatheads.... have to pick the other flatty up tomorrow as I didnt have enough room in the truck for the y-block and the 2 flattys but I have picks of my garage floor that is nothing but engines.....
    one of the 283's im tearing down and a flatty
    [​IMG]
    2 more 283
    [​IMG]
    the y-block 292
    [​IMG]
    the flatty
    [​IMG]

2. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

So you needed one engine and now you have five? What does engine poor mean?

3. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Looks like engine RICH.

4. brady1929

brady1929

if that would only work for 1932 fords

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a severe case of way more engines than he has vehicles for. But I have a bad case of that too so I can't pick on him.

6. Weasel

Weasel

So now that you are engine rich and project poor, you build the engines and then look for something to stick them in....

7. Pick one as the primary builder.

Pick another for a backup in case something turns out to be bad with the primary.

Sell the others and use the cash to support the primary build.

The y-block looks pretty cool.

8. Now you just need more cars for those motors!

9. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

well if it follows the language regarding being "house poor" I think engine poor, and project poor mean that you have all your money rapped up in projects, (or engines) , so your essentially poor because you won't buy anything but cheap beer and hotdogs and keep the heat at 60F because you got to pay that 2,500$ chrome bill and 3,000 machine bill this month.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  10. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I know what engine poor means! I have 12 on engine stands and four under the bench!!

Attached Files:

11. Ter409

Ter409
    from NE Oregon

I can understand where you are coming from!! I keep coming up with more and more engines. I guess I'm a hoarder. Ter409

Attached Files:

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Engines are cool. In the last few years I have been getting rid of engines so that my heirs don't have to. But before that I had 4 Hemis, 3 Packard V8s, 3 Ford GAA 1100 cid tank motors, two Lotus 907s, two Fiats, four Nissan 3 liter V6s and a Studebaker OHV 6. Plus a bunch of Ford V8s. But while I have owned my Vega I have run it on the salt with GMC 6 power, Ford 460, Pontiac 455 392 Chrysler and a Packard V8. I have run my Roadster with a Pinto an Lotus 907, a 1932 Plymouth ohv conversion and a 1932 Plymouth flathead. One of the Nissians went 231 in my friend Jack Costella's 'liner. So grab those engines while you can. Then think of some way to run them.

13. Ter409, You are not a hoarder, I can see the floor...LOL

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I have 4 laying around all sbc and a couple of trans cores,I actually have 5 if my boat dont sell.All Sbc ,

15. Paul

Paul
    Editor

a few Olds'

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  16. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Be careful what you wish for!:D

17. rcoffey

rcoffey

:rolleyes:Ok for all of you with this illness I am willing to help you out. First you have to understand that you have a problem.and second send your extra's to me.

18. fosheezie

fosheezie
    from las vegas

my dad used to buy chevy big blocks like they were going out of style.. i remember every inch underneath the workbench and outside was big block chevy engines.. and i never saw him build a car with a big block in it lol

19. saints

saints

well its like you need a engine and then every where you look theres a low priced engine that you cant pass up and then poof you spent all your fun money and your garage floor is full of engines.... score is 3 flatheads, 3 283's, and a y-block

20. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

all that tasty engine eye candy , awesome ,

21. saints

saints

well I picked up the other flatty
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. saints

saints

yea and the upper rad. hose was full of cat food figure that one out....thank god the thermastat was in

23. tylersloan

tylersloan
    from baytown tx

mice ? :D

24. Just a little something to think about. If (slim chance but...) your "banger" engine # number matches your ownership VIN, (it should if it is the original block, although chances are pretty slim of it being the original engine in a car as old as a Model A) I would suggest that you keep it. With all the crap going around regarding VINs and ownerships not matching etc, I think you would be wise to keep that block just incase, down the road, the gov't decides to check your VIN against your chassis/body. Model A's used the number off the engine as a Vehicle Ident number.

Just saying ... it's one of those things that you just might kick yourself real hard for not keeping.

25. saints

saints

thats what I thought but they usually have a nest some where and theres no nest

26. saints

saints

You know that is a great idea....I havnt yet pulled the body to check the frame numbers but your right I may need it to title the car.....Im getting the banger running first so I can drive it, ITS ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE right
    Im waiting on some points from macs and a wire kit

27. saints

saints

here is how the old girl sets now
    [​IMG]

28. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I like this thread, old engines are cool

29. Good idea to get it titled/registered now BUT even after it has been inspected and tagged, I would keep that engine around (only if it matches your title/ownership papers) because you just never know when it might get inspected again ... (you sell, you sell to out-of-state, you move to another state or the gov't just changes old car titleing requirements and you need to re-prove the cars history ... don't laugh peeps, it could happen).

30. Deuces

Deuces

Wanted: A nice 283 steel crank and a early style 327 block....:rolleyes::D Maybe a good set of truck rods to if ya got'em... :)