Register now to get rid of these ads!

’28 Tudor update #5; “Yeah, it’s got a Hemi”

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Gary, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I took my ’58 354 Chrysler Hemi truck short block and a set of ’55 331 automotive heads to Carl Bills at Black Mountain Hemi www.blackmountainhemi.com. Based on a bunch of research, I provided the recipe (compression, induction & cam specs) and many of the parts. I also polished the valve covers. But Carl did all the real work; machining, assembly and breaking it in and I’m thrilled with his results.

The parts were delivered in my Subaru- the block in back, strapped to a hand truck; the heads in the passenger seat to distribute the weight. :rolleyes:
    engine 04.JPG

The shortblock is bored 0.060” with stock rods & crank, 340 oil pump and Hot Heads filter adapter. Pistons are cast 392 10:1, resulting in ~10.3:1 in this combo. Cam is a Schneider 280 hydraulic grind: 224*@0.050/0.435” lift/108*LSA.
    engine 09.JPG

The top end has stock rocker assemblies, adjustable pushrods and new ss valves. There’s also a 650 Edelbrock, Hot Heads intake & valley cover, MSD dizzy, SBC water pump, Black Mountain timing cover & tranny adapter. The billet pulley and MSD logo cap won’t last. It had stock exhaust manifolds for initial firing, but I’m fabbing some equal-length headers once it’s in the car.
    hemi_029.jpg

Carl fired it one more time (it sounded like an angry Darth Vader :0)
    DSC05958.JPG

Then we brought it home and celebrated.
    DSC05961.JPG

Lessons learned:
    1. Find an experienced and trustworthy machinist. This engine was/is a major commitment for me. Like choosing a doctor, I wanted someone I could count on, not just a “good buddy deal” or an inexperienced shop hoping to use my project to expand its repertoire.

2. You have to pay to play. I’m on a modest “Dad’s monthly allowance” budget and Hemis are expensive, but it’s exactly what I want for my application and I couldn’t be happier. Once I quit fretting over the cost, I enjoyed the process a lot more. You could do it for less $ if you have the technical expertise to assemble it yourself and use stock (cast iron) parts.

3. Communicate. Carl and I phoned and exchanged e-mails regularly- neither of us got any surprises.

:D :D :D :D

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  2. farmer12

farmer12

That Hemi looks amazing! Looking forward to the rest of the build, going to be watching this one for sure! Good luck with your project.

3. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

4. Nominal

Nominal

Very very nice!

5. madgrinder

madgrinder

I love a "trick" Hemi!

You did very well polishing those sandcast valve covers too... I always hated the bolt-recesses. Most of mine didn't get polished in those grooves ;)

6. Thanks, guys!

7. Holy smoke! I wanna hear it...

8. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

very nice!

If you ever need another set of hands, let me know - I'd be more than happy to help out in any way I can.

9. Gary
    That engine won't fit, will probably ruin your tires not to mention the model A transmission etc. Better just let me trade you my well worn SBC for it before you get really dissapointed. :D:D

Really nice engine would love to hear it run. I have been on a tight budget most of my life and have learned one thing. You can have what you want if you are patient and never ever cut corners. Looks like you didn't cut any corners and patience has one out.

Happy for you.

10. 33pickemup

33pickemup

That looks great!

11. Good lookin' motor!

12. st.rod

st.rod

GAWD, that motor is gorgeous! I want one for my 32PB

13. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

wow...im in envy

14. dead pirate

dead pirate
    from indiana

man i cannot wait to see how that thing looks sitting in the tudor. i am looking for a project right now and a tudor is one of the cars that really catches my eye at the moment.

15. Dave,
    Carl Bills is a wealth of practical Hemi info. Tell him I said "Hi".

He makes his own timimg cover/SBC water pump adapters that are kinda cool, as well as Hemi-to-Chevy tranny adapters:
    http://www.blackmountainhemi.com/afterMarket.htm

BTW, I started this thread when researching options. Maybe it'll help:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408404

-Gary

16. Sweet, congrats!!!

17. Yeah- an electric pump, probably a Carter 4600 or 4070. They put out 6-8 psi so neither a regulator nor a return line is required.

I think the tranny adapter works for either manuals or automatics.

To make room for clutch linkage, you might be able to move the starter to the passenger side, but it'll require a horizontal oil filter adapter instead of one that hangs down vertically.

Tell Carl that Gary Burkholder recommended him. :)