Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '53 Chevy truck - My crazy project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by orula, Mar 8, 2011.

1. orula

orula

Thanx JustJoey, passion always reward :)

2. orula

orula

Hello guys,

I would like to ask you a question about the engine.
    The one pictured is the tri-power that I bought but I did not understand that I can install on the 350 or 327 are required to install it on? I have the oil filling tube from the top of the intake.

[​IMG]

You advise me to install a 327 or 350? Perhaps a 327 engine more value to my pick up?

Please advise where you can buy a good 327 (or 350) Turn Key Chevy SB engine?

Thanx

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A 327 might give a bit more "wow" factor for a lot of the guys in that many feel that the 350 in any form is too common in hot rods and early trucks.

With that intake you do need to stay with a pre 1988 set of heads on your engine though due to the change on bolt patterns on the later heads.

If you have a GM new car and truck dealership in your area that sells new American cars you might be able to go in to the parts department and order a new crate motor there. It may not be that exciting to some on here but you would have a new engine without the hassles of trying to get a single engine shipped to you from the states as it would be shipped with their parts order.

This is an engine that guys here think is all too common but with your intake on it it would turn your truck sideways in the street pretty easily. http://sdparts.com/category/gm-performance-parts-350ci-290hp-economy-engine It is a popular replacement motor here in the states for trucks and street rods who's owners don't feel the need for a mega dollar custom built engine.

4. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

5. orula

orula

Hi Mr48chev, thanks for your advice and link you gave me. Buy a new Chevy engine here would cost me too much, maybe $ 10,000. The right choice is to buy in the U.S., I do not think you spend more than $ 6.000 including shipping.

I contacted enginefactory but do not have a 327 Chevy engine available and would be forced to take a 350 with aluminum heads , but it would be too modern for my project. How about this? http://www.phoenixengine.com/Chevy-24.html .

This seller is reliable enough? Does anyone know its engines or had experience with them?

I'd like to make an engine like this but with the tri-power:

[​IMG]

Thanks to all

6. RDO_23

RDO_23

your project looks great - keep up the good work!

7. dropped53

dropped53
    from Hanford CA

I am also a fan of the 3 window, but I hate the fact that everyone that I tell I have a 53 truck the first thing they ask me is if it's a 5 window, then seem disappointed when I tell them no. Keep up the good work

8. orula

orula

Hi dropped53, I also prefer the 3 window but if I had to think again in the future, with little work will come back in 5 window. Thank you so much :)

9. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

That's a good motor. With the right valve covers & intake, you should be able to give it a vintage look. If you are planning on a single 4BBL carb, look for an old Weiand WCVSQ intake or an Edelbrock C3B or C4B.

10. orula

orula

:) Hi Tjet, thanks for the information, but I will install the tri-power shown in this page. I want to do something different from the usual 350.

11. cicciobilly

cicciobilly
    from italy

Bel lavoro Orula!
    you can find some other customized trucks around Italy, give a look at Romano (Rumblers cc Milano) chevy!

12. orula

orula

Thank youy so much CiccioBilly, but mine will be unique, just trust me :):D

13. madgrinder

madgrinder

Beautiful work, mio amico :)

I'm happy you are fixing the rear leaf-spring lowering blocks. That looked like a very unsafe setup with round U-bolts on square pads mounted sideways.

14. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Wow man, you do some real nice work. Truck looks awesome.

15. orula

orula

Many thanks to all :)

16. orula

orula

Hello guys, I'm very happy today, just got my long awaited Tri-Power. Is wonderful and I can not wait to see it installed. Now I have to buy the engine ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. willymakeit

willymakeit

Nice work and thread. Found out this week that my son wants me to come and get my 50 I gave him. Will build it for my wife.

18. 1955 LEDSLED

1955 LEDSLED
    from LONG BEACH

Great work. im really diggin your build. keep us posted.

19. pottsie454

pottsie454

Awesome truck build! Looking forward to the updates. I have a 53' myself, have had a lot of fun messing around with it!

20. sinticket

sinticket

Beautiful Work...keep it up! Subscribed

21. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

very nice. I am too building a truck now. Installing a fully built 327. Bought it from a hot rodder that had it for the past 38yrs. Keep up the great work. Looks AWESOME!

22. orula

orula

Guys, thanks to all

23. orula

orula

Guys, I'm still trying to buy a good 327 Chevy Vintage Engine and I'm trying proformanceunlimited. They seem very serious and competent. Have any of you had experience with them? Please help me to choose the best. Thanx :)

24. orula

orula

Hello to all, today I bought the wiring harness for my truck, 18 circuits.
    Is an American Autowire, what do you think? I made the right choice?
    Thanx

25. orula

orula

Is coming to the Power Brake Booster with proportional valves.
    I should not have braking problems :)

[​IMG]

26. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

That is one AWESOME build you got there
    keep up the good work

Grommet

27. orula

orula

Hello guys, there is a great upgrade for my project is coming in the heart of my truck. Chevy engine 350 SB/350 Hp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prepared for me by Matt and Bruce Enginefactory. With their kindness and competence have realized my dream and I am very happy to have chosen them.Thanks Matt and Bruce.

I guess I just decided to have the color of my Chevy. I want to paint it white, like this one. What do you think?

[​IMG]

Thanks for your comments

28. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

GREAT looking truck. Keep up the good work

Grommet

29. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

I have missed this thread somehow but saw another thread of part of your build...amazing job bro!! I have a truck build going on too but not to your extent! Congrats on amazing craftsmanship!

30. orula

orula

Many thanks Chevy54. I hope to finish my project for next year :)