Register now to get rid of these ads!

shifter ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by excaliber_customs, Mar 29, 2011.

1. excaliber_customs

excaliber_customs

im having problems finding a 3 speed floor shifter for my 51 chevy iv looked at them on the net and all of them say 55 or newer does anyone know of any place i can get one or if the ones that say 55 or newer will work any help would be great
    thanks chris

2. they should be the same, but be sure you get one that does not have brackets that move it back from the bolt holes
    a little enginuity is needed, mount arms down on trans , hook up linkage after mounting
    CAUTION FABRICATION MAY BE REQUIRED IF :cool: using newer than antique parts
    surely you should be able to cut weld drill and tap and this will fit:D

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The only real difference between a Hurst shifter for a '55 Chevy and for a '51 is the mounting bracket. If you can't find anything that will work, I can give you a picture of a proper '49-'54 trans shifter bracket.

4. excaliber_customs

excaliber_customs

i would like to find one that doesnt need a lot of fab work if posible but if i have to i will do some fab

5. excaliber_customs

excaliber_customs

a pic would be great heathen thanks

6. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

National Chevy Association sells a floor shifter for 49-54 Chevy's that doesn't require modifications. Not sure what quality is like but I have been thinking about getting it for my car. I sure would like to find a old Hurst though!