Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

with a 428 Cobra jet

2. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

a good friend of mine Gene Lampshire held the Z/SA NHRA record with a Vega in the late 70's/early 80's. It ran fast I guess, but was very hard to make consistent...and Lord knows he tried about everything to make it so...

3. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Yea Bill, but you always seem to be able to DELIVER the goods.
    ... WATTAGUY -- The one and only Big-Bill Cole, the Heart and the 'Core' of The HAMB's NHRA Junior Stock Thread.

Kudos!

4. bob shirley

bob shirley

andy also had 55 two door stick car that he was runnerup with at indy.
    we ran a match race with him at westhampton with our wagon.
    was a three day race,when we left late sunday night we had 6 trophys and $850 bucks.very good trip

5. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:We all know the Plymouth is Al but does anyone know who the 57 delivery and 58 Pontiac belong to? :confused:

Attached Files:

• al#n.jpg
      al#n.jpg
      File size:
      58.5 KB
      Views:
  6. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

7. bob shirley

bob shirley

i think it was late 1965

8. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Jay was the winner at Bristol in the picture above

9. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

You are correct. Won the 1968 Division 1 Stock Eliminator with that car and flat towed it to the world finals in Tulsa, Ok. Can you imagine anyone doing that today?

10. 57peppershaker

57peppershaker

Hi Guys

I'm planning to build a replica of the 'Tension' 57 Chevy (sadly in 1;25 scale :(*)
    I've got a Revell 2 door sedan kit & decals from Decals by Lucas, as a start. But I can only find 3 pics of the car on here, anybody got any others to post ?
    Also, not sure if the colour is white or off white (based on the 3 pics) ?

Any other info would be great :D

* If I was starting my full size again, I'd be doing a 1;1 Tension :cool:)

Attached Files:

11. Tension was just white as far as I know. I have a few pics of the car loaded up and on it's way to the '69 Nationals. I'll have to post them online. Here's Tension staging at the '69 Winternationals in Pomona.
    -Dean

Attached Files:

12. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:You guys and gals familiar with this car? I know it's a restored nostalgia type but I was wondering if it was an old race car at one time that the owner restored to his own (and mine) liking. :confused:

Attached Files:

13. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

The '57 "Squirrel Town Shaker" is a current build made to resemble (and done extremely well) a vintage Junior Stocker. The fellow that owns it is a true gentleman named Butch ( I won't attempt to spell his last name). Nice car and a nice guy. Until next time..... Dave.

14. 57peppershaker

57peppershaker

Great pic Dean, never seen that before. Any other pics, exterior, interior, engine ect or info would be great.

I always thought it was an old restored car, but then again I'm still learnin' from you guys.
    Looks great, new or old. This thread is a fantastic source of info.

Squirrel Town Shaker is a planned 1;25 build. Again Decals by Lucas can supply a decal set for this & many other junior stocks.

15. 57peppershaker

57peppershaker

If Squirrel Town Screamer is a late build, anybody know if its been featured in a magazine when finished ?
    I found a November '95 Super Chevy, that featured it before it was all sign written as S.T.S., but some of the article is missing. I've got the picture spread, but not much of the information.

16. biscaynes

biscaynes

yup, thks freddie. here's an earlier picture of his '57.....[​IMG]

17. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

If anyone is interested we (Decals By Lucas) have the decals to do this car as well. Also you know of Larry Davis the author of Gasser Wars and Super Stock Drag Racing the Family Sedan he has 1000s of pics if you need reference, and he is always willing to help with models or restoring real cars. He has helped us with many photos and information for doing our decals.

18. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Dave,

Since you fellas are familiar with the book "Gasser Wars", have you considered making decals for the Nick Mayer '39 Chevy gasser on pg. 57 ?

Monogram's kit's been in need of some really good specific graphics for some time. I know you guys could do it justice !

How about it ?

19. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

We have but did not think there would be much interest in that car there really are not many Real 39 Chevys that raced. Also we did make a small effort to contact the people with that car for permission but never found them.

20. Hope to see decals for the In-Bomber done some day! I'm confident a 1:25 scale build would go much smoother than the 1:1 did! Keep up the great work on those decals, really cool stuff.
    -Dean

21. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

john,good lookin out!-i thought somebody would catch that!:)

Attached Files:

22. 57peppershaker

57peppershaker

'In Bomber' decals would be another great addition.

(add another kit to the Junior stocks list :D, I've got 7 or 8 planned at the moment)

Sorry Dean, just realised you & In Bomber. Great rebuild.

23. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

hemiman,

Thanks for the quick response...and for all your efforts for the hobby.

I came up with the art work for the car but I don't have what it takes to make it into decals.

24. Juniorstocker

Juniorstocker

I always loved juniorstockers, watching them at Island Dragway growing up and always wanted to build one. When I started building the Squirreltown Screamer 23 years ago, I could not find an original jrstocker. So I made my own as acurately as I could, I had to put in a Muncie and a 9 inch rear for dependability because my plan was to race it when done, which I have been doing for the past 15 years at nostaglia events. It is a legit 270 horse,283. I have had a lot of success since the build. This car represented jrstockers at the NHRA museum in Pomona CA for 2 years and was on the cover of Super Chevy in 95. It was made into a hot wheels car in 97. Last year I gave it new look by having it lettered and installing the steel wheels. With this car, I have met a lot of great people and love talking about jrstockers. I have included a before and after picture.

Attached Files:

25. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

First time in a long time since I posted on here but many thanks to those who've sent pics. I really appreciate it.

Terry (X-TECH MAN) - had occasion to go through my "scrapbook", such as it is.....it took me about a week to find up in the attic. The benny's of having moved about 6 times in the past 40 years! Anyway, I found the pic that you supplied as well as another. I'll label them '73 and '74. Also found a few pics of my cars starting with the sedan delivery and ending with the 2nd '68 Chevelle in either '75 or '76. It brings back a lot of memories!

Skip Asay

26. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Especially considering what you started with, you did a fantastic job from a restoration standpoint as well as capturing the 'look' of representative Junior Stockers from back in the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

P.S. I hope you don't mind me cropping your pix and reposting them.

27. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Skip, we're ready, anxious and can't wait to see them!

Pete :)

28. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]
    (Lynn W. Morton photo)

Pete

P.S. I love those late afternoon "golden light"-type of shots.

29. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

I agree lol makes me feel better about what i have to go with! GREAT job!

:cool:

30. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Does anybody have pics or info on a '68 Hurst Olds stocker fielded under the name Russ Dunmire? There's a fellow HAMBer that goes by exshelby who posted on the Drag Cars In Motion picture thread, claiming to be the current owner and looking for info on the car. He stated the car came out of the northwest. I'm sure he's appreciate any info that could be unearthed about it.