Register now to get rid of these ads!

no brake pedal new disc brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by a35fordlarrys, Mar 29, 2011.

1. a35fordlarrys

a35fordlarrys

just put on a eci disc brake sys. on a 56 ford and cant get a brake pedal i have bled the sys. bench bled the master cyl checked the brake adj. on the rear wheels checked the booster rod i have a proporshing valve camaro type the brakes are one the fire wall but still i put residual valves on the frount but cant get a brake pedal now what thanks larry.

2. If your certain you performed the bench bleeding correctly and don't Have a push rod (or pedal ratio)issue I would suspect a faulty master cylinder. I'd verify by checking pressure at master with a brake pressure gauge and eliminate it as the problem or replace it if it is.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Make sure your new front calipers have the bleeder screw facing upward so they can bleed properly. If so, I would suspect a bad master cylinder. Did you replace it too?

4. Master of None

Master of None

Are you getting any fluid to the front calipers?

5. a35fordlarrys

a35fordlarrys

ireplaced the master cyl you can see the frount brakes working and you can hear the rear brakes working but i cant get a pedal larry

6. GreggAz

GreggAz

If you plug the MC ports, you can tell if it its working, and then work from there. Do you get fluid pressure when you bleed?
    are the residuals in the correct way?
    are your rear brakes (drum?) adjusted?
    if you press the pedal are the calipers clamping the disc?

7. Master of None

Master of None

What are you using for a break pedal? I'm not familiar with the kit. Or did you make your own? the throw of the pedal may be off.

8. a35fordlarrys

a35fordlarrys

i pluged the other m c to check it checked the adj. on the rear brakes you can get a little fluid when you bleed the brakes the valves are in the right dir. rear is drums camaro style pro. valve larry

9. a35fordlarrys

a35fordlarrys

i used the stock pedal it worked fine with drum brakes the problem stared with the disc,. brakes

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Does the master cylinder have enough volume? Did it come with the brakes?

11. a35fordlarrys

a35fordlarrys

no im useing a corvette style m c it has a 1 inch bore thats what they say it needs

12. Master of None

Master of None

stupid question, is this a power brake set up? You might need a longer push rod.

13. nickleone

nickleone

Is the master cylinder for a disc drum set up? If not you will not get brakes because you cant push enough fluid at a high enough pressure.
    Why residual valves on the front discs? The rear drums might need them.
    Nick

14. a35fordlarrys

a35fordlarrys

i checked the rod and its the right distance when you push on the pedal with the m c disconected it has about 1 inch travel

15. nickleone

nickleone

Most modern corvette mcs' are for disc disc setups.
    Nick

16. fef100

fef100

Describe "a little" fluid. If it is not as much as you would expect, I would think the master is the problem. I ran into this years ago, that's when I found out the rear brakes actuate first, then pressurize the front. I pissed away about two weeks of evenings trying to cure this. You can also try giving the master a sharp rap on the front, in the direction of piston travel, with a plastic hammer, the rear piston may be stuck. If it is not a new master cylinder, and you have this problem, just replace the cylinder, it is not worth the chance that it may stick again.

17. Master of None

Master of None

Take the front residual pressure out and try them. I have a feeling their doing their job too well and your not getting enough fluid back to the master.

18. a35fordlarrys

a35fordlarrys

the pro. valve has a built in res. valve built in i have used this type m c before on other brake sys. frount res. vales was just a after thought they wont make any difference i know you use them when the brakes are under the floor i work at parr automotive part time and sell these all the time but i have never used eci brakes before larry.

19. a35fordlarrys

a35fordlarrys

i had the same problem before i put the res. valves in im useing 3/16 lines

20. Master of None

Master of None

So do you have residual valves and a proportioning valve? Or just a proportioning valve? I'm confused...

21. a35fordlarrys

a35fordlarrys

i have both the combination valve im useing is a early camaro style and the m c is a earley corvette style i have used this combo befotre with no problm im pretty well stumped

22. Master of None

Master of None

Are you getting lots of fluid to the front? You may have a air lock in the combo valve,or the piston is pushed to half open . Did you pressure bleed the brakes? Or do it manually at the pedal?

23. a35fordlarrys

a35fordlarrys

i checked the valve with a test light to se if it was stuck one way or the other iused a vacume pump to bleed them first then i did it the old fashion way i have been doing this a long the and never run in to this kind of problem before

24. Master of None

Master of None

Get a rubber mallet and rap on the back of the calipers (both) and then try bleeding them again. I had a pair that used to trap air in the pistons for some reason and that was the only way to get it out.

25. front= rear lines crossed?

26. steves29

steves29

I would confirm master ok by blocking the ports, then check the caliper and pad install. Parts taking up air space from piston to rotor causes a lot of pedal travel.

27. a35fordlarrys

a35fordlarrys

im starting to think of a hammer thats a little more solid

28. a35fordlarrys

a35fordlarrys

its plumed the frount to the back the back to the frount i blocked the ports in the m c to make shure the m c worked

29. a35fordlarrys

a35fordlarrys

i guess every body is stumped like me im starting to think its the disc brakes when the drum brakes where on it every thing worked fine but it pulled left or right when stoping at a hard pace

30. Master of None

Master of None

Not stumped, think you have an air lock some where.