Register now to get rid of these ads!

'63-'67 ford/mercury 427 "r" cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frank spittle, Feb 25, 2011.

1. frank spittle

frank spittle

When I went to the NHRA Springnationals at Bristol in 1965 (the year it opened) it was the nicest drag strip I had been to. It was only the third race NHRA had added to their scheduled, The Winternationals and U S Nationals were the other two. When I went back in '66 I had purchased a Polaroid color camera and for the first time took pictures at a race. I was just another spectator but credentials were not required back then to get next to the track. That's how I shot the Chrisman run.

The Magic Ratchet likes this.
  2. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Here's a pic of my barn find 63-1/2 Lightweight..Sitting since 75'..And a friends 64' R code..

Attached Files:

3. Nominal

Nominal

4. Casting I.D. No C3AE designates design/release 1963 model year.

Casting Date Code(s)-

9-23-3 is 23 SEP 1963
    9-29-3 is 29 SEP 1963

So they are correct for possible very late 1963 assembly or more than likely early 1964 assembly.

Not many understand the date code so having them on a 63 would be passable (if you are not a numbers correct enthusiast).

MORE INFO-

I missed something. If you notice, one manifold is marked C2AE and the other C3AE. The C2AE was released for the 1962 model year and no changes were made so it was carried over to 1963 and 1964 production. The C3AE manifold was released for 1963 assembly/service and was again carried to 1964 production with no running changes.

These exhaust manifolds were also used on the 1962-1965 390 330HP PI engines.

Most 427 cars received the 427LR (street engine) (to 1965 production- 427MR after that). The 427HR was usually included only in the lightweight drag cars (Galaxie-Thunderbolt-Mercury) or you had to know somebody.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  5. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

#94 Kultulz;

I know C3AE means auto engine and TE would be truck engine I think, but what does OE and such found on Falcon and Fairlane motors mean ?
    Thanx; Tom S. in Tn.

6. C3AE (used as an example)

C= Decade (in this example 1960)
    3= Exact Year of Decade (in this example 1963)
    A= Full Sized FORD
    E= Denotes PN is within Engine Group

The Third Character of the PN Prefix Denotes Car Line-

O= Fairlane/Torino or Comet/ Montego
    F= Mustang or Cougar
    L= Lincoln
    S= Thunderbird
    T= Light To Medium Truck

A Service Replacement PN will read differently from either Engineering Numbers or Casting I.D. Nos which is this example.

The system once understood is quite easy to decipher. There was more than one system used over the years so don't let a different sequence confuse you.

7. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

The year code such as C3 designates the year model the part was designed for, 1963 model year. Anytime a change was made to a casting, a new number was generated to reflect the change. So the headers were first designed for the 1962 full size car, C2, which makes sense as there were a few later '62 406 cars with 2x4 setups instead of 3x2's, so the longer headers apparently were in the pipeline, too, but I've never heard of a documented '62 that came with long-branch headers, only shorties- and every set of long ones I've seen, including the ones upstairs, had the C3 number on the opposite side, denoting that a change was made in that one, while the other one was not changed, so retained it's '62 casting number. Then the date codes tell you when they were actually cast.
    Mine is an XL, also a '62-1/2 deal like the 406, and came with 3x2 and shorties

[​IMG]

8. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

OK, I'm getting it, and could usually determine the decade and year, and a darn site simpler than GM or Chrysler.

Now what about the last digit for different component groups (E = engine) like trans or rear axle?
    Tom S.

9. Engineering Department:
    4th Character of Casting/I.D. Part No.

A= Light Truck
    B= Body
    C= Chassis
    E= Engine
    F= Electrical
    P= Auto Trans
    R= Manual Trans
    W=Rear Axle
    X= Muscle Parts Program

These are the main listings, mostly the ones the enthusiast will encounter.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  10. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

Gene,
    We are getting off thread here but my May '62 G-code came with long manifolds. There is a photo in the 1962 Hot Rod annual issue that shows a 1962 car with the long.
    Lars

11. Here is a C2AE long tube right manifold-

Attached Files:

Deuces and droppedstepside like this.
  12. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Thank you so kindly Mr. Kultulz.
    Sorry for taking off on a tangent, but this part # and option coding information has been an educational lesson otherwise unavailable to me through out the years.
    I bet I'm not the only one to learn a little bit here either.
    Tom S.

13. Hey! I am glad it helped.

Getting old and have to pass baton at some point... [​IMG]

14. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

There ya go- a buddy of mine has a LR-type 2x4 manifold with a mid-'62 date code he's been dangling in front of me for a while- I figured I'd put the long manifolds on the car if the Hookers ever rust out
    So that would tell you that there are probably some C2 left-side manifolds out there, the left side one was changed for some reason for '63, making the C2 lefty a bit of a rare piece. As the 406 came out mid-'62, any change made after that would have probably qualified it for a C3 number- so youi could have a C3 casting with a '62 date code, just like any early-production car, as the casting #'s were for the year designed for, not when they were actually cast

15. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Just picked up this one,has owner added ps,pb,ac, let,s see if i can post a picture, sorry not that good at it yet[​IMG].photobucket.com/albums/m547/speedyb2/galaxie/DSCN1165.jpg[/IMG]

16. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

here it is[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
    The Magic Ratchet likes this.
  17. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

18. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

Speedy, Good score on a rare one. How did you find it?

19. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

20. finn

finn

There's a 427 galaxie registry out there somewhere. I'm sure they would like your addition. Good score...my favorite cars.

21. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

On May 25,1968 Bob Glidden set the B/S NHRA national record at National Trail Raceway in a 1965 427 Galaxie 500. He set the record at a 12.23 et.

[​IMG]

droppedstepside likes this.
  22. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

Got to be quite an achievement. All the focus had shifted to the unit body cars by 1966.

23. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

A good friend of mine bought that Glidden car when Bob moved to another one. Raced it for a few years, then sold it. Was sick a few years later when he heard it changed hands again for $125 thousand. He sold it for WAY less than that.

John

24. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Bet $125K$ made Glidden sick too !
    ? What did an average equipped R code Galaxy sell for back in 64' or 65' ?
    Tom S. in Tn.

25. frank spittle

frank spittle

t-bolt.jpg This was taken at Hershey in '89, the first year a T-Bolt was eligible. It got as much attention as the Duesenbergs (from the younger crowd). I won a First Junior with it there and a First Senior at Greenville SC.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    Deuces and droppedstepside like this.
  26. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Ah hah !
    I knew I saw this TBolt jewel earlier today. Just wrong message post :)
    Tom S.

27. frank spittle

frank spittle

'64 LW.jpg A very rare real '64 Galaxie Lightweight. All came with the 427 "R" dual four barrel hi-riser engine. This was one of the automatics.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  28. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

I found this thread last week, became intrigued because I have an R car. It' a '63 500XL fastback, black with black interior, 4 speed. I refurbished its in '92 as a driver, so I wasn't worried about "numbers correct" at the time. It came sans engine, so I put one together from swap meet parts. Block is '66, heads '64, intake and exhausts '63, carbs are Holley but wrong ones, has period Indy mag wheels. As a driver it has probably racked up less than 200 miles, obviously I don't enjoy it as I should.

I enjoy reading all the posts in this thread, thanks to everyone who posts.

John

29. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

A buddy of mine has one of the 50 '64 High Riser LWG's, a 4-spd car- the same one he ran in '65, and is still running today, painted the same way- he's just finishing up an engine freshen right now

30. Igosplut

Igosplut

Back as I just was out of high school, I had a 64 427 Galaxie. Dual quad, those cast long headers, 4 speed, and some kind of (I was told) factory traction bars. The car (minus the rims and tires) was stock according to to the guys father (a ford dealer mechanic). I don't remember much about it, only having it two months and blowing the motor all over the highway.....

[​IMG]