Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 chevy 4cyl motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RedRodder, Apr 7, 2010.

1. NORSON

NORSON

Well thanks Jimmy. That is as straight as a string. Minds playing tricks again. Do you have a more straight on picture of it. - Norm

2. Thanks Jimmy-that's a HUGE help! Gotta love the HAMB!!!

3. RichFox,

Was looking at your Ford 4.6l SOHC throttle body setup again (of course, I just walked past a half dozen of these at the salvage yard the other day, duh).

What parts are necessary to put a system together to run a pair of these? I heartily admit my total ignorance in this area- please help!!!

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Mine uses a Hilborn metering block, nozzles, hoses and pump. I made my own linkage and mount stuff and bypass that uses Holly jets. Or what ever you want

Attached Files:

5. Thanks Rich!

Hey, how are things going on your Chevrolet engine- any updates?

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I am sorry to say that my work effort has shrunk to really slow. I need to get the Dodge Bros. done before I can think about the Chevy. I am still working on the Pan- front cover for that and waiting for new crank/cam/aux drive gears. The Chevy is almost all there and won't take long to do. Not sure what I will do with it when it's assembled.

7. No worries Rich- I'll send you a pm with some info that might interest you!

8. noboD

noboD

Way to go Rich, keep those priorities in order!!

9. Your no help there Doug :D!

Hey, look for an email in the next day or two Doug- hope you and yours are doing well.

Take care, Bill

10. ebtm3

ebtm3

JimmyB posted a couple of good pictures comparing the '28 C4 and the 3 port heads. Here are some photos of how I moved the rocker shaft over to use 1 1/2-1 Rockers on the three port

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mill part of the old rocker shaft stands. Notice that a small scallop is left of the old rocker shaft mounting. This also removes one of the old clamping bolt holes--note dimple. The depth milled should be flush with the adjacent head bolt boss, and all depths should be the same, even if you have to take a little off one or more of the head bolt bosses.

[​IMG]

Underneath of one of the steel blocks that relocate the rocker shafts. Make the blocks solid (without a separate cap), and assemble by sliding the rockers and spacers made from tubing onto the shaft from the end.

[​IMG]

Top view of blocks

Herb Kephart

11. NORSON

NORSON

JimmyB
    Thanks for the pictures of the outlet. Much different than I thought. Helps a great deal.

Herb
    Like the oil cup in the rockers. Looks like a good way to keep them oiled.
    - Norm

12. NORSON

NORSON

JimmyB
    Was re-reading some of the old posts and watched the videos. My old system wouldn't show some of the pictures and none of the videos. I was doing some of this stuff in the 60's, but to see what they were doing in the 40's makes me feel like I missed it all. Thanks for sharing. - Norm

13. Just a head's up...

flyin-T posted some additonal pics of Gabby Garrison's T on the thread about his car.

Why is that important, because he ALSO posted pics of the Chevrolet Touring that Garrison built AFTER the T!!! It ran a 3 port, Nash rockers, etc...

I'm hoping he has more pics/info! Here's the link (his post is #13):

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6209718&posted=1#post6209718

14. Kume

Kume

who would have thought a 1926 Chev tourer could look that good.

15. Norm (NORSONAUTO),

The package came yesterday- thanks AGAIN for the pattern!

I was hoping for a paper tracing, but Norm scribed it on tin, centerpunched the holes, AND drilled the outer bolt holes!

16. NORSON

NORSON

Mac
    Your welcome. I did it first on paper but the transfer punches don't work so well on it. Five of the larger holes are counter sunk for recessed bolts/screws and a you may need the size of a few others. If so pm me. - Norm

17. WOW!

It's been a month since anyone's posted- ugh! Well, here's a neat pic from the Offy/Miller thread that might be of interest. It's a tubular rod for an Offy... anybody have any more info/how they were (are) made? I know Herb and Norm were thinking in this direction.

[​IMG]

18. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Wheren't they designed after a Peugeot rod?

Ron

19. Michael_e

Michael_e

Hi All- I'm Mike and i've read this thread from start to here several times and i am now committed. I just recently bought a 1928 engine/trans/front suspension/and rear drive line and suspension, but no frame. I'm currently going thru everything to see what i actually have that is usable. And i'm cleaning the engine and trans. It was/is covered in a nice layer of grease and grime. There was a hand crank that was with the engine so you could turn it over. I did and watched all the rockers go thru their motions and it seemed to have a fair amount of compression while turning the crank. I'm wanting to build a speedster with this collection of parts. I'm trying to attach a pic of a vintage racer that got this dream started. I'm planning on using some of the design in my speedster. So, as things progress, the questions will soon follow.

Attached Files:

20. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Wow that ought to be a fun project. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Ron

21. Michael,

I've been wanting to see that "beach racer" in person for a while now- the chassis is nicely done!

Keep us up to date with your progress!

22. Here's a good pic of it from the back- would love to find out where that spring hanger came from! The chassis rails are parallel, which is a nice touch s well.

And if that doesn't work out for you, you can try this alternative from the "extinct makes" thread :)

Attached Files:

23. Unsafe6

Unsafe6

Still watching here. Not much happening on my stuff. Really interested in more stuff on tubular rods.

24. Michael_e

Michael_e

Thanks all.

Mac-Thanks for the rear pic.

What i want is a speedster that can seat 2 people, staggered style seating with the passenger sitting a little further than the driver. I don't really want a pointy, boat style rear body. I'm thinking something a little more roundy. I don't know how to really describe it, but i will know it when i see it.

And some of this tech stuff you guys have been talking about is really interesting. Making your own rods and rocker arms, wow! And adapting Saturn roller lifters, the list of stuff goes on and on. What year and engine are the Saturn lifters from? Maybe i can gather some parts as i go forward with this project.

I'm thinking of just keeping everything relatively stock as i know those parts will work together and i want to enjoy it now, not have to wait several years till i get everything gathered and working. Although i do have a couple of Winfield carbs and a S-10 5 speed tucked away.

25. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I’m still watching this thread too. MrModelT is supposed to be looking for some pictures of Jack Calori’s Chevy-powered ‘26 Ford for me, which should be worth printing and putting on the garage wall for inspiration.

Anybody want to bench race about carburetors for a moment? I like to use parts I have on hand, and since I can’t afford a Winfield, I’ve been thinking about using a Carter YF or an Autolite 1100 I’ve got laying around. The 1100, in particular, has a pretty neat look to it for a ‘60s carburetor.

-Dave

26. Hmmm,

You mean like this? Man, you need to get outa my head- I had this idea first :D... oh, it's Cliff Durant's "Baby Chevrolet" Miller

Attached Files:

• 310.jpg
      310.jpg
      File size:
      534.3 KB
      Views:
    • 314.jpg
      314.jpg
      File size:
      544.4 KB
      Views:
  27. Dave,

Please share those pics when Clayton gets them to you! In regard to carbs, I've got some ideas that I'll be happy to share after I find a pair :)

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

I'm still looking for 'em, just have not been able to find them yet. Don't know where they went :confused:

The Autolight 1100's are a pretty decent carburetor....I have one on my '26 T roadster. It really likes that carburetor and didn't have to do a thing to it except bolt it on :D

29. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Good to hear. Did you fabricate the intake manifold for it, or was it as simple as flipping the up-draft T manifold over?

I don't suppose you've got a pic of that setup in your engine bay handy. I knwo I've seen it, but I can't picture it right off hand.

-Dave