Register now to get rid of these ads!

what are these wheels called? daisy, cokebottle, s-200 ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by millersgarage, Mar 29, 2011.

1. millersgarage

millersgarage

I see lots of reference to American Racing wheels like these, but these are Western Wheel Company wheels, and I am having trouble finding info on them.

wheel.jpg

Anyone got an idea on what these are called? I am gonna be selling the set, but I want to list them correctly with the correct name.

thanks

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. modeleh

modeleh

I don't think they're cokebottles, Fenton made something similar but the spokes were wider on the rim side. Those look symmetrical, narrow on both ends.

3. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

I have heard of them referred to as the "daisy", but think the actual name is S-200. They have the flat spokes, unlike the Torque Thrusts.

4. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Copies of the American 200S, don't know what Western called their "version"

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Have been known as "Daisy" since they were first made because the spokes strongly resemble the flower or a flower if you like.

The daisy nickname stuck (regardless of who they were made by,original or copies too) even though they may have had another name or number designation.

6. millersgarage

millersgarage

googleing Western daisy wheels gets me nowhere. Odd. I can find all the other descriptions, just not for Western wheels.

Maybe I need to page thru my old Hot Rod magazines from the late seventies and find some ads

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I knew them as Daisy spoked wheels before I learned the catalog number. I always thought the 4 spoke / 4 bolt version for sporty type cars looked the best though. Like a Lola wheel or something seen on a formula car. Gary

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  8. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Lebra, is what i've heard them called.

9. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Weren't coke bottle wheels referring to Convo Pro's? I love those wheels! Not trad but I dig 'em anyhoo.

10. Slide

Slide

A bunch of people in my high school used to call the 200S - style wheels "butterfly mags". Maybe that will help your search?

11. Ive got a pair of CHERRY 15X7 Ford/Dodge bolt pattern American Racing Daiseys if anyone is interested.

12. I had a set for a '55 project but have since sold them and they were the "daisy" style but not Americans as they did not have the "lip" on the back of the spoke, never did figure out what they were for sure but they looked good and I had a full matching set of 15x7s and 15x10s. Also the polished lip is way different from a American with out the extra "step", I personally thought they looked better. Any ideas on what brand they could have been?
    [​IMG]

13. millersgarage

millersgarage

the 4 spoke ones are Libre wheels

14. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

ET also made their own "version" of the American 200S

15. JEM

JEM

The American Racing wheels sold under two different names, the four-bolt/four-spoke version intended for smaller cars was the Libre (I think) and the five-spoke version was the 200S. There was also a composite version with a chromed steel rim (I think) called the CP200.

One of my favorite rim designs.

I don't recall anything about other makes' versions of the design, though.

16. RODMAN58

RODMAN58
    from VIRGINIA

200S. They came in cast or polished. I was pissed my old man would not let me buy them in 73. Instead I got polished ET slots. Now that time has passed and I grown up I have period correct flipper caps on my shoe box but I still love the 200S on the right car.

17. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I originally bought the set that's on my 406 Galaxie in the pic back in '75, for my '69 Mach1, along with G50-15 T/A's, at the old Bay Area chain, Wholesale Distributors, from the San Mateo store- that should jog a few memories- kind of the "Matthews" of tires & wheels back then

18. millersgarage

millersgarage

200s is the American Racing version of these wheels, They have a spoke that gets wider at the rim. AKA cokebottle

these do not do that, these are narrow at the rim.

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I bought a set of these that were painted white, from a 'hip dude'...at a yard sale. $15, all 4!(5 on 5, Chevy pickup pattern)
    No paint remover would strip that white paint, lacquer thinner either!
    I finally took 'em to the Pleasanton swap, sold 'em for a crisp $100 bill.
    Walked around the corner and the guy that bought 'em had put used caps on 'em and was askin' $250!
    I chuckled, and went for a Tri Tip sandwich. Got back and they were SOLD! LOL

20. millersgarage

millersgarage

They are 1 piece, and are cast with Western Wheels on the backside. There is a SEMA 5-1a sticker on them as well, which makes me think they are not that old. Not to mention the bead area is super clean

21. Daiseys...It doesn't really matter who made them. It's just a nickname.

22. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

Maybe some came white, the set of 14s on my 67 442 came white and I cought al kinds of hell getting that shit off .several coats of aircraft paint stripper

23. millersgarage

millersgarage

I once knew a guy who was eating a sandwich, and saw a car with some on it, it was a ham sandwich ......
    :rolleyes:

Really, I don't care what color yours were, or what you have that are kinda like what I am asking a question about. I really just want to know what these are called.

I guess I'll go with Daisy, and hope people will know what I am talking about.
    :cool:

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think I can come up with the proper name this weekend, I have a Western Wheels ad showing those somewhere, will have to dig it up.

25. gosh...think I have one of each.....they are "out and about" - which means they have moved - from thier sleeping gound....will try and get some pics....noticed - there is some heavy MF's among the bunch....

26. millersgarage

millersgarage

I've been told by a wheel guy, that these were called Western Daytona S wheels.

still can't find info with that description

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

They were on Doug Marions Project Econo-Performer Monte Carlo at one point. I was going to try to dig up info on them last weekend, but got too busy and forgot. I will try to remember tomorrow.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I guess this will qualify as confirmation of the "daytona" name.

Attached Files:

• 0441.jpg
      0441.jpg
      File size:
      126.2 KB
      Views:
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

also just found a western wheel ad in april '78 super chevy, your wheel is called a daytona in the ad.

30. millersgarage

millersgarage

Thanks for your help falcongeorge