Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What was the most influential Hot Rod or Car magazine cover to you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Mar 28, 2011.

1. drpepperdude

drpepperdude
    from newark DE

2. Skirv

Skirv

It was called the "Flashback 57"

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unlike the rest of you lucky guys, I don't have a copy, but for me, it had to be the one in (April?) 1964 with the Greer/Black/Prudhomme dragster that was the first to break the 8? second barrier. Oh, I wasn't much impressed with the car, but the babe in the red bikini! WOW!!! Spank monkey action!!!:D

Somebody post a copy; I feel the urge!!!

4. Tom Ivo in the Barnstormer on an early 60's Hot Rod cover making a smokey head on run, looked like it was coming right at you.

I saw Ivo for the first time at Sanford, Maine 1963. Not too many years later I was in the other lane racing him.

Lucky kid I was......

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That Car Life with the Dragmaster Dart coming at you with the chute open. Saw that when I was a young kid, didnt know what it was, but I KNEW it was loud and cool.

6. 12 years old. Must've been cashed up from helping mum around the house ( cover price- 75c). Walked down and bought it at the corner shop on a sunny Saturday morning. Checked it out over lunch.:)

I love the buzz this cover gives- I still drive a Falcon (like the van), and I own a yellow FJ Holden (and although not parked in a graveyard like this, it is, however, parked in a yard..:eek:)

Alas, I continue also to lust for that red cover car!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  7. Cant get enough of this coupe....:cool:

Attached Files:

8. This car is one I have always remembered,my dad got me the mag it was in in the 60s..........maybe this is why I still dig METALFLAKE

Attached Files:

9. al8apex

al8apex

The "beater" issue as well!!!

I was hooked on the thought of living in southern California, cool old cars and babes in bikinis ... even on rainy days ! ! !

after visiting there when I was 20 and again when I was 23, I decided the Phoenix area was better ... :)

that 32 tub and the 3 girls in bikinis still rests in the back of my mind after all this time

[​IMG]

10. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

two best ever

11. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

i've got worn out copies of Dad's R&C's from the 70's and the beater one and the vintage tin one stand out for me then...

Now it would haveto be the 1st re issue of R&C in late 80's with pete and jakes 32 and tub recreating he chiekn coupe one...

12. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My Dad was featured in January 1955 issue of "HOTROD" with Jack Webb of Dragnet fame on the cover, had to be the most influential in my young mind..

Attached Files:

13. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

When I was a kid around '72 or '73 (I was 10 years old) my older brother had this magazine Danny Eichstedt's T-Bucket! A few weeks later the Valley Roadsters had their annual Raodster Round-Up in Visalia, California and this car was there in my town. It was like seeing a celebrity. LA Roadsters, Bay Area Roadsters, and Early Times were all in my back yard. For me I always remember this cover and T.

Attached Files:

14. Easy one for me. August '51, Don Ferrara 29 roadster, one of the most perfect A roadsters ever. I keep a color copy of this cover on the cowl of my roadster to keep me pointed in the right direction. Tonight when I was working on my windshield and seal I noticed that the Ferrara car also had a stock windshield gasket.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

15. thanks i knew someone here would know the name

16. GlenC

GlenC

This one for me...

Late 1963, I was about 14 or 15, sitting in the dentist's waiting room, bored and scared. I shuffled through the pile of womens' magazines on the table, and THIS pops up and stares at me! I'd never seen anything like it in my life!

When I left the surgery, it went with me, under my school jumper. I had it for years, and bought plenty more like it along the way. I recently 'rediscovered'exactly which issue of Car Craft it was back in 1963... October, so I tracked a copy down on Ebay US, and bought myself a new one!

Cheers, Glen.

Attached Files:

17. Muttley

Muttley

My favorite book ever:

[​IMG]

18. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

These two covers pretty much sum up my taste! !CE1V65gBWk~$(KGrHqUOKkME0eds0fclBNTJUyv3Tg~~_12.jpg

$(KGrHqMOKkEE1vjFW+JIBNhh6lV)OQ~~_3.jpg

19. Remember Ron Weeks,tudor? it was in the 1st NSRA nationals special edition all photo mag,the inlaid roof and the olds mill.the perfect hotrod............I was in high school when this hit the stands,,,,,,,,,,,heard it burned to the ground

Attached Files:

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

That car is perfect.

21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The Ron Weeks sedan is the reason why I have a '34 sedan today. Ron was in the "Early Times" when all of us took our cars to Oregon for a car show in 1967 when I was 17.
    Now that was a trip, in more ways than one.
    Ron later painted it a bronze pearl.
    He drove the pants off it, too.

[​IMG]

22. mj40's

mj40's

Rod Action May 1977. Only because they did an article on my coupe back then.

[​IMG]

23. my40's LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me

24. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Without a doubt the October 1980 issue of Street Rodder Magazine!
    I was a 10 year old kid when it came out. My Dad subscribed, and I used to get the mail every day after school. That issue came, and I couldn't believe the cool flamed coupe on the cover. For whatever reason, it just grabbed my attention. Then I read the article on it in the magazine, and I was hooked.....I HAD to have a coupe just like that! A couple years later, my Dad and I found one, bought it, built it, and the journey my love for 40 Fords continues over 30 years later, as I still have my coupe. So does the owner of the coupe I fell in love with back then. It's still owned by the HAMB's own "DaveyDeuce".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  25. Greezeball

Greezeball

Don't have a pic of the Cover but the restart of Rod & Custom in the 80s really influnced me.

26. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I could (and have) stared at this pic for hours.

27. KENBUILT79

KENBUILT79
    from NY

[​IMG]

Its not the cover so much, but the little blurb at the bottom "Plus: Build your own sports car for $2500."

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] I've always thought that Nailhead powered T was PERFECT, who has it today?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  29. EVANS and 3 97s

EVANS and 3 97s

I will agree with Deuce roadsters selection of the beach photo on the first large R&C. He chose the Neal East copper one, but I was in love with Murphy Tiffany's Black one. Still near the top of my all time favorites. Gotta get some KELSEY's painted and on mine.

30. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

This has to be the #1 issue for me, I still dig it out of the collection all the time to flip through it.
    [​IMG]