Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration 59parkwood wagon. I GOT IT!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, Mar 19, 2011.

1. davidh73750

davidh73750

here's some more floor board pics. I got really really lucky only spots are the back passengers. first pics are the passenger side then the exhaust is the drivers side

Attached Files:

2. davidh73750

davidh73750

thanks for the nudge harrison I would've regretted not getting this car. not too bad in other areas here's the worst behind the tire. roof drip rail is fairly clean

Attached Files:

3. You just about didn't have a big enough trailer!!!

That car is gorgeous! I can't believe how good the body is. Looks to me like you need about $200 in patch panels & you've got the rust licked.

I want to see it on the ground. I's easier to steal already loaded up. Unload it already!

JH

4. metalix_421

metalix_421

nice score David. another piece of yard art for ya. haha. time to pull apart that caprice and have a driver?????? when we going to get to work? I bet we could finish mine and get yours on the road for lonestar if we really put our minds to it (and had the beer money)

5. davidh73750

davidh73750

yeah harrison I had to bo duke it at the car wash to vacum out all the dirt. very tight fit on the trailer. A 554dr fit on their easy I forgot these cars are low and wide. its going to be tricky unloading as well.

Kevin, I need to get that pole barn up and we can just hibernate winters in there working on stuff for Lonestar. I bought the caprice for this car then thought I wasn't going to get the wagon but in the end it wall worked out.

Question Harrison. Did elky's have the wider wheels like wagons? or car wheels? I actually have 5 of those wider station wagon wheels now, they have a slightly wider lip almost a mid reverse.

6. Shit man, you got me there. It'll give me something to research tonight though. I'll report back later.

I bought a set of 15x6 Caprice wheels to run on mine. It came from LA (Lower Alabama) with a set of Keystones that looked like they were salvaged off the Titanic.

JH

7. ryno

ryno

the wagons came with 7" wide rear rims, but from what i heard, may or may not be true, they only came in 7" for teh ones with a factory tow pkg or the kingwood for the extra people.

8. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Nice score David. I'm glad you pulled it out of the weeds. The car looks fairly solid and complete. You will have a blast with that thing! :D

9. Toner283

Toner283

The car gods were smiling down on that wagon. That car is solid as a rock. the patch panels that you do need are easy to get. Harrison is right, a couple hundred bucks in panels and a couple of saturdays & you are in business.

If you have the wider wheels they are worth some $$ to the restorers. IIRC, they came on wagons (like ryno said maybe just kingswood/tow package ones), Elcamino's and the 409 cars. If they will clean up enough for the stamped #'s to be read they could fund some of the project if you wanted to sell them. I have seen them go for decent money on the epay site.

10. Tony

Tony

Glad you didn't pass on that car!!
    Looking forward to seeing it brought back to life. :)

Tony

11. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Hey man that's gotta be the most solid 59 I've ever seen I got two one in which I used to drag race with a blown 283 4 spd then it had a Hemi now is in the barn awaiting its turn over the years I've had 15. 59 wagons and elcaminos. Speedway has a great p/s conversion with a little fabrication you could probably use the power booster from your caprice I used a hydrobooster on mine it is more compact and worked real well also I adapted a power box from some gm car it works real well. These wagons make great drivers but I must warn you if you are gonna put any kind of a motor in it that has any power it will blow the spider gears out in the rear end I know from experience. Alas I have the solution to that problem I have a jig to weld all the brackets on a nine inch. After blowing up 17 center sections I just broke down and built a jig and it worked wonders.

12. carlk60

carlk60

David, awesome! Glad you got it. Looks great! BTW, 59 was the first year of the station wagon wheel. In 59 and 60, ONLY the Kingswood (9pass) wagons had a 5.5 inch wide wheel, in 61 they went to the 6 inch wide wheel, in 62-63 they had a 6 inch wide wheel but it didnt have the nubs on the outer part of the rim for the full wheelcover, 64 they changed style of rim, still 6 inch. Not sure on 61, but 62 and up I believe they were OPTIONAL. In 59 and 60 all others had 5 inch wide, still not sure on sedan deliveries and elcaminos what they had factory, 5 or 5.5. I have an original pair of 5.5 inch wheels from a 59 Kingswood, would love to find 2 more.

David, let me know what youre going to need for parts.

13. burger

burger

David,

Are you planning to post your progress in this thread or start a new one? I'm looking forward to seeing this one get on the road. You southern guys have it lucky. There's nothing up here that nice for $1000!

Ed

14. davidh73750

davidh73750

I am going to try get a pole barn put up soon and get started on it. Would like to have it going for LSR 12

15. 31-5window

31-5window
    from Michigan

nics ride its gonna be a fun car always liked wagons keep us post.

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've had all kinds of cars but the one in my Avatar is the first Long Roof. We're having a ball with it. A great cruiser with ice cold air, comfortable and all kinds of room. Get yours on the road.

17. davidh73750

davidh73750

Gman is yours factory air? I was thinking of adding under dash air like the Mark 4 reproduction.. Ed I think some of these wagons have the look I'll be going for. Its got to be fully functioning wagon. Haul ice chests, luggage pedal cars and such for trips with my young boys :). It will likely have a OD trans

Attached Files:

• z5a.jpg
      z5a.jpg
      File size:
      78.4 KB
      Views:
    • za9.jpg
      za9.jpg
      File size:
      116.3 KB
      Views:
    • za8.jpg
      za8.jpg
      File size:
      27.5 KB
      Views:
  18. The Gambler

The Gambler

19. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Thanks for bringing your thread to my attention David.

I love 59-60 Chevy wagons.

Ive been lucky enough to have owned 3, a 59 Nomad, a 60 Nomad and a 60 brookwood.

And dumb enough to sell them all......

Yours looks like a great project.

I'll have another one one day.:D

heres my 59 Nomad and my 60 Nomad(dont laugh at the centerlines! I cant find pics of it wearing the steelies)

Attached Files:

20. davidh73750

davidh73750

I got a pic of your 60 with steelies. I used it in a flyer "wanted wagon" in the local towns and distant ones so people wouldn't confuse it with a 70's LTD wagon :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  21. davidh73750

davidh73750

Here's my donor car, 305TBI and 700r that run great. Im thinking of going after these wheels, He has 2 15X8's and run 14's or 15X7's front if I can find them. go for the 60's drag car puller look not 100% sure yet.

Attached Files:

22. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Nice find! My uncle had a black '59 wagon back in the '60s. Looked pretty cool flying down the highway. I like your idea for the '60s drag car puller look. Subscribed.

23. davidh73750

davidh73750

some crusty imitation cragers but they hold air and roll. Just gathering parts now. I might go after a 60brookwood for the back glass and other odds and ends I could use.

Attached Files:

24. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

That's a nice one, most of 'em are rusted to hell, good find. I have a 60, but 59s are way cooler.

25. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

My father bought a Parkwood new in late 58 with 283 and the famous TURBOGLIDE. Had the power tailgate window. I ended up with it in 68 and changed out the turboslide with a 3 speed stick. Really wanted to put 4 speed dual range hydro in it, but couldn't afford truck kit. I had my first accident in that car, not in 68, but in 59. Took it outta gear and it rolled back into a big redwood tree in Yosemite. I was 6 at the time. LOL.

Does this car have power train in it, and if so what is it?

26. davidh73750

davidh73750

In my mind I wanted a 59 or 60 and maybe a 61. where I got this one there was a 60 nomad in worse shape and for more money those cat eye lights drew me in.

27. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I just scored a 4 door sport sedan and a 2 door hardtop. Will be parting the 4 door. I sent you a PM about your glass needs.

Attached Files:

28. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

David, check Ryno's build thread on his wifes wagon, he knows his way around those big bodies pretty well!

29. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Here is a photo of my wagon. Crown sapphire and snowcrest white. 406, 700r4, ps, cut coils. This is a fargin great road car!

Sorry if the picture is too small but I havent figured out how to enlarge... I know - idioto!

Attached Files: