Register now to get rid of these ads!

I Need Small Block Chevy to T5 Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Little Odd, Mar 26, 2011.

1. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

I have read through many articles here and online on the subject and some of the threads here have me confused as many people disagree on the finer points.

I would like to mate a SBC to a T5. I have a 327 that I am thinking of using for my Model A project and I want to put a T5 behind it. (I could do without the criticism PLEASE?) :rolleyes: The 327 will be mostly stock with maybe a big carb and double hump heads. I would like to know what T5 to get that is the simplest to adapt and would do the job best.

I have very limited knowledge of transmissions, clutches etc. and I would most likely be pulling the used parts myself. So, I will need as much info that anyone will share for me and illustrations would be especially important to me.

Thank for any help in advance.

2. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

do a search its been covered here a million times. but you just need to find a T5 from an s10 with the wide chevy pattern on it. the rest is pretty self explanatory when you try to bolt it on youll see what you need to do. my friend just put a later bolt patturn t5 behind a chevy just by redrilling the holes because the center bearing retainer is the same. just buy a clutch thats the same diameter as the 327 that has the splines for the trans.

3. domination

domination
    from pittsburgh

get one from a camaro. You may need your crank drilled for the pilot bearing. Once you have that the solutions will present themselves!

4. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

no need to get anything machined. just use the stock 327 bearing the mainshaft is the same size but just sticks out longer so you just grind the front off a little!

5. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

6. The absolute easiest route (I believe) is to start with a T5 that came from the factory behind a V8 (also gives you "V8 gearing"). The only modification I had to do was drill out the four holes to 1/2" where the trans bolts to the bellhousing (in order for the later T5 trans to bolt to an earlier style bellhousing).

I am running a two-piece rear seal SBC with a regular V8 bellhousing (from an '80 Z28) along with the flywheel, clutch (11") and release bearing from the same Z28. It all bolted together with no modifications other than drilling out the four holes mentioned earlier. The T5 I used is a Non World Class (NWC) T5 from a mid eighties V8 Camaro. This means I end up using the old style mechanical clutch, not the hydraulic clutch from the Camaro I got the T5 from.

Now, that being said, there will be two issues that need to be addressed ... one is the fact that the shifter is quite far back on the tailshaft housing of the V8 T5 and two is you will also find that the trans mount is now on a angle/tilted. The solution for both of these problems is to use the tailshaft housing from a (NWC) S10 T5 ... (it bolted on to my trans with no modification needed), this will move the shifter forward (perfect for early cars) and also levels the trans mount.

I ended up getting a complete V8 T5 and a complete S10 T5 from our local wreckers for $120 each. I had the bellhousing, clutch, flywheel and release bearing left over from a car I had scrapped several years ago.

7. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

Thanks for the replies. I wonder if there are differences with fitting other Chevy small blocks or are they all the same...

8. Far as I know all SBC's use the same bellhousing to block pattern. There is a difference as far as flywheels go though. Somewhere around '86 the SBC changed to a 1-piece rear seal and because of that, the flywheel to crank bolt pattern changed (meaning you can't use an early 2-pce flywheel on a later 1-pce rear seal crank and vice-versa.

As far as 283-302-305-307-327-350 etc they should all accept the same bellhousing.

9. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Redirecting an old thread

Have a question , if you use a bell housing that is designed for 153 tooth flywheel will it work for a168

I assume you can not be cause of starter placement

If the answer is no, do you need a bell housing from a pickup or early car to get a 168

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  10. sdluck

sdluck

Starter nose changes starter offset for flywheel

11. I think your going to find you need a large clutch bellhousing for the 168 flywheel.Block mounted starters use the same holes for mounting,but the starters themselves are different,one has offset bolts.

12. I used flywheel (168 tooth) bell housing ,T5,clutch,bearing,slave ,wellwood 3/4 clutch master cylinder all
    out of 1984 ASTRO VAN with V6 4.3 in. It all bolted to a1964 283 chevy in 1932 Ford 5 W coupe. The
    shifter came through floor behind stock K member. Made a removable trans mount. It could not been
    easier. If all parts in van are good you could use ever thing but master cylinder. JERRY DRYE

13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Extend splines using a cutoff wheel.. Cut end of input shaft and housing.. (Can't remember the exact amount so measure off Saginaw 3 or 4 spd).. Get GM "M" van clutch disc.. You're ready to go...**clic pic** T5 install 001.JPG T5 install 007.JPG T5 install 008.JPG T5 install 009.JPG

14. Dennis D

Dennis D

How much "taller" is the five speed compared to the Muncie? D

15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48