Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Go-Karts

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by VonMoldy, Mar 17, 2008.

1. I miss that track. When we moved to carrollton it was still vacant, made a bunch of laps before they put the shoping center there.

2. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  3. graysgarage

graysgarage
    from central IL

Just picked up this cool old kart...Anyone have any info or know the year? I 'm guessing late 50s , Called a wonderbird roadrunner,I even got the original assembly manual but not dated. Has a clinton engine & it runs. Body panels are old fiberglass. Any info appreciated.....

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. mosher

mosher

Pictures of my gokart when I was 15.

Bob Mosher

Attached Files:

5. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Bob, My brother and myself had a blue 1960 Bug kart with a Mac 10 on it Just like yours, sure would like to find one like it, great times! started driving it at 6 years old and have been hooked on speed since

6. The kid next and I had one. There was a great parking about six blocks away. We had a blast and the cops were after us all the time, I found an old junk onr that I got running for my boys. I am realy glad I did they have had hours of fun with it. Soon dad will get it back and we'll re do it correctly.

7. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Graysgarage,I have something similar to yours that I found on clean up day by where I work after a flood. The info I found says mines a '58 by the look of yours it could be older but maybe this info can point you to a starting point in your research ,It took me 9 months to come across my first picture of mine, now I just have to get the time to work on it......Rich

Attached Files:

8. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

RE: post #66
    Naw, I quit in '74 Ran C-open reed. that looks like he is runnin christenson B-boombs.
    Sounds like he is running "slipper" clutches (oil filled clutches)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  9. Do you have any of your kart stuff left ? I am always on the the hunt for old kart parts.
    Brian

10. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

All I have left is some 8mm (buried some where) and a lot of memorys.
    Would love to get back into it tho. :(

11. Did you see our Fox kart in our alblum here on HAMB ?

12. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

Nice kart, I started out with a sprint kart then went to enduro karting for the next 10 years. then had to give it up. :cool:

13. eye bone

eye bone

14. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

i have 3 carettas in my collection. a original paint early one with 2 580 5 ports, restored 1961 with 2 nos 820 west bends. and a restored 1963 laydown -sprint with a mc7.this one has go power wheels. a lot of vintage kart paper-catalogs magazines. the whole collection is for sale. pics for serious buyers.thanksmike

15. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

16. daddylama

daddylama

i always stumble across threads like this just before a big swapmeet...
    last year it was the mini bike thread. it reminded me how much i wanted one... swapmeet came, and i went home with two of them.

now... it's go karts. i used to have a montgomery branded kart as a kid. it was a blast... now i have kids, and they have no karts. they've got mini bikes, pedal cars, all the other cool stuff...
    but now they need karts, too. it's for the kids, not me.

(doubt the wife will buy that story this time, either... but i aim to come home with at least one kart project after next weekend)

17. For the drag racers ,,, 4 mac motors on a drag kart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJsAnV3FJLE

The Kendick dragster .
    Its a restored kart that was originally built in the mid 60's .
    It was claimed to run the 1/4 in the 12 second range .

Brian

18. Aircooled1

Aircooled1

I have a small collection of Vintage Go Karts,in the mid 1960's when I was 15 I ran an old Go Kart 400 with a Mc10 engine and a 1963 Bug Wasp with a Mc7 engine at the Mormon chuch parking lot up the alley from our house in East Bremerton Washington. Jim Anderson

Attached Files:

PEDDRO and volvobrynk like this.
  19. Hi Jim
    I know you , I have bought from you Anderson Aircooled !!!
    Great collection , you should bring one out to the track.
    Brian

20. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

I had a century "speed" cart in 1965 with a techumsy 7hp , 2 cycle engine & disc brakes with slicks. It was scary fast. My dad lengthened the gas linkage so i couldnt top end but i learned to reach behind me and throttle manually on carb shaft........

21. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Glad to see you still have the GK1200 I did for you!

Dean

22. two488

two488

I saw this one at a local cruise night this past summer. 'Turbonique' cart.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. rambunctious

rambunctious

I have my original Margay racing cart i got at age 10
    Dad bought it with a blown Mac10. was a full modified engine, ported, polished, head milled and filled. ....

I learned how engines work with my dad with this cart
    we rebuilt it. I drove the mac 1 time and he blew it up 3 times :D
    that thing was FAST
    we then got a briggs which is still on it today !!

I still have it. my 12 year old son has run it down the drive for two summers.
    we plan to rebuild the briggs so he can learn how engines work.:D

p.s. when I worked for Ford motor company in the early 90's , I had a suppler of seat components( in St. Louis) that I went to see. we spent one hour on business, then went across to his other company.... MARGAY !!!
    as far as I know they are still making carts.
    while at Ford. I ran in the famous Ford thunderbird cart club at Flatrock speedway. This was a modern Cobra chassis, running birggs 5Hp running on Alcohol, floating the valves at 6000 rpm ;)

Ramb

24. loco 52 ragtop

loco 52 ragtop

i have a body just like itMobile Uploads

25. seatex

seatex

HOLY SHITTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

26. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Vintage karts are cool, indeed...I still have an early 70's Meyers Lancer kart that barely qualifies as a true vintage kart, but I've had a couple nice 60's Dart karts and a really nice all original 62 McCulloch 200 kart. Unfortunately, I sold the three older karts to help finance my hot rod habit.

The earliest karts were often times powered by hot two stroke engines pirated off big chain saws. It's low-buck fun to cannibalize an old McCulloch saw to make up a kart engine. Here are some pictures of the two Dart karts I had, and the Lancer kart I still have. If you check out the engine on the yellow Dart, it's a 1959 Super 44A McCulloch chain saw engine I converted. It made for a pretty good neighborhood terror, but wouldn't have been any competition for a Mac kart engine.

Attached Files:

BRENT MAGGI and volvobrynk like this.
  27. Ga55er

Ga55er
    from Texas

I did up this retired racer as a custom job for the lead singer of Slobberbone. Move over Monkee Mobile! Total investment $215!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didn't hack it up it was that way when I got it

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  28. allanfalls81

allanfalls81
    from Arizona

I totally dig vintage go karts. I feel like going back from the past. Just a little different the kart im using in the track is an electric and those vintage karts are still faster.

29. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Here are a few of the vintage karts that have passed through the garage to be rebuilt... Had to sell them off (except for my son's) to keep the wolves at bay, but I'm working on a 1961 Fox Flyweight and a 1960 Go Kart 800 is in the rafters waiting to be done next.

bonanza3.jpg bonanza.jpg

4E9U3330210.jpg 100_0779.jpg

Picture160.jpg Picture159.jpg

61Bug.jpg 61Bugrear.jpg

Craig Owens likes this.