Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB friendly family car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nate, Apr 6, 2005.

1. We are expecting kiddo #3 in a few months, and we've just about outgrown the current grocery getter. I wondered what might qualify on the HAMB as a good family car? Got to haul a bunch of critters comfortably and safely, but be all that the HAMB holds dear. Suggestions?

2. Snake9t9

Snake9t9

It would be hard to beat a late fifties to early sixties wagon, or even a sedan of the same era. I've looked at several nice tri five chevy wagons and a 55 ford mainline in the last few weeks. I also plan on putting one to use as the family truckster, Just can't beat the value compared to brand new cars.

3. TINGLER

TINGLER

How 'bout something like this? :D

4. murph

murph

Not mine, but if this '57 Del Rio Ranch Wagon is still for sale, it sounded really nice. The seller was flexible on asking price as well. Located in Tacoma. Was still running drums all around, but could be upgraded down the road. Add some seatbelts and yer whole family's cruising custom-rod style...

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/7/9/78363879.htm

-murph

5. Jake H.

Jake H.

We have a '57 Pontiac more-door hardtop that is on its way to mild custom territory. It's a great riding, roomy, powerful tank with loads of style. With the windows all down, it looks better than some two-door posts.

Mid-50's GM products are my new favorite road car. Our 19-month old digs sawing the big ol' steering wheel back and forth more than anything (parked, of course).

Jake

6. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

Why do you think I have a 4 door ;)

7. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

I am partial to the wagon 's , since I have a 59 ranchwagon .
    But you could also look to the 60's burbans tons of room in those too .
    Congrats on the addition !
    BTW the more door wagons be it 50 's or 60's are just plain easier to load the troops in and out of .
    good luck

8. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Mid 50s to early 60s four door or wagon, looking for the same, I got four kids.

I got you beat, fool!!!!!!!:D

9. fishtank

fishtank

My choice would be an early to mid sixties Cadillac. It should have more than enough room. Plus these cars are affordable, and hard to beat on when it comes to style.

10. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Anything four-door with a/c,a stereo, and non-trad window tint for the bebe's...

11. same here with 2 kids it comes in handy and both kids prefer riding in it more than my wifes jeep. :) But now it is for sale because we want a late 50's early 60's wagon for my wife.

12. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

'58 Bel Air Sport Sedan!

13. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Talk to unclescooby hes got a flaked and panel painted 60's style custom square bird for sale. I'd buy it if I had the dough. If I remember right it was a hell of a deal to.
    Drew

14. N8, before looking at a family car, I'd get rid of that avatar!!!! :D Just kidding, I'm a CatBacker. I'd agree with most here. Anything late 50's early 60's moredoor, preferbly a HT. That car of Buzzard's looks bad ass :D I've got a 64 buford lesabre moredoor, low miles(under 33K, needs paint and upholstery)

Farmall

15. TIKIFREAK13

TIKIFREAK13
    from Duluth MN

no kids here well two legged got 2 4 legged ones that go every where with us & we are doing up a 65 Starchief for a daily & a big back seat for pom poms car will be primer cherry red & motor is 400Hp 67 GTO 400 has 400 trans & 12 bolt pois so will be fun to beat ricers for shits & giggles build & buy what you like only people a car matters to is YOU & family

16. Find a nice, unmolested late 50's/early 60's wagon, bag it, and do nothing else to it. Those cars have so much class straight from the factory that they don't need anything other than an altitude adjustment.

17. DIRTY T has an awesome ford wagon for sale -

18. Station wagon... for sure.

Make it a big one... Galaxie maybe?

There are also some really good deals on four door tri-five Chevies...

On craigslist.com... I even saw a 2dr '56 wagon for CHEAP... $6500 and it was DONE...

But a 2dr wagon would be a pain in the butt... get a foor door!

Sam.

19. airkooled

airkooled
    from Royal Oak

A big convertible would be cool. Like the opening to Full House.

Oh come on, don't pretend like you never watched Full House.

20. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whatever you get, especially with little bambinos, make sure it has tempered glass. You might want to consider collapseable steering columns ('68 on) or swap a '68-'69 column in for a key in dash car. Seatbelts are manditory. Maybe retrofit 3-point belts, they need a mommy and daddy too.

21. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

Unclescooby has this for sale a bit of work you can haul a large family in it.

57caddy

Dawg

22. Ambulance, on a Cadillac chassis.
    You can easily cut the floor out for two full size bench seats, they almost all have dual heat and A/C, and are roomy as hell.
    Most have division windows, just in case it gets noisy back there, AND, best of all, most have the heat - air master control up front, where it can be shut OFF!!
    The lack of A/C always had my ex's brat quiet in a few minutes :D

Easier is a Fleetwood 9 passenger sedan (not a limo, quite a difference inside, though they look alike). Super comfy and roomy, and all come with jump seats for an additional 2-3 people, just in case you haven't figured out what caused the FIRST three :rolleyes: .

Checker Marathon. Also available in a wagon. Cool fifties lines, SBC in the later ones, and easy to get hard parts. Available in colours other than yellow, or so I've been told...

Cosmo

23. FatRat

FatRat

I'm looking for a family ride myself. I have a six month old daughter and her car seat just won't fit in the back of the 39. 50's wagon seems to be the route that we are going to take. The wife thinks they are cool too. Just have to sell the bike first:( .

24. GO-rilla

GO-rilla

Man I dig 59-64 Impala wagons and sedans, And some times you can flat out steal them for 200-300 bucks and drive them home.

25. AKATIREGUY

AKATIREGUY

Thats why I went for the 55 Olds. Easy to find mid 50's GM stuff in great condition and reasonably priced. Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Caddy.... none of that common Bel Air crap. There is a big Buick, Olds, Pontiac following so parts are more redilly available than you would think.

I got this for $6,500, as is. NOT BAD. the 454BBC was an added bonus.

[​IMG]

26. I picked up a '61 Chevroet Parkwood (wagon) with a '62 Impala to go with it as a donor car for $2000. I, too have a 4 year old kid and a 2nd one on the way (girl... now cleaning up shotgun...)

But now, we have spent so much fuckin money on our house, I am going to have to sell it along with the 60 El Camino. I agree with the late 50's to early 60's cars. Reasonably priced and ultra cool. My faves are GM cars from 57-62.

I don't feel TOO bad since I still have the 59 Impala coupe and 60 Impala coupe on the way and they can hold up to 6 people in the car and 10 dead bodies in the trunk...

Travis

27. Wow guys, thatnks for the good advice. I totally dig the 50's sedans and the 50's and 60's wagons. If I could get a killer deal on a wagon I might go for it. I've got a few months before she pops, so I'm going to try to save up a little and see what happens.

Pete, I've got to stick with the hawks.... spent five good years there and I still owe them money :)

28. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

You need a Dragin' Wagon!
    [​IMG]

29. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

SOme of the '60's Wagons had an optional 3rd seat. A suburban may work too. or a International Travellall. They had a 3rd door in '59 or '60 can't remember for sure.

30. rt66jt

rt66jt
    from York, PA

KIDS is exactly why wife said she wants two doors only!