Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tighten up a 51 Chevy Steering Box?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sam Navarro, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Morning fellas~ I am trying to help a buddy get his car rolling for LSRU and I have not been able to find too much out through a search. He has a 51 Chevy Sedan and he has VERY loose steering, I have heard a few guys talking about tightening up the Steering Box? Can any tell me in detail maybe a pic or two how to do this please? Any help would be awesome guys.

Thanks,
    Sam Navarro

2. BBMan

BBMan

Don't know about the '51, but the '55 has an adjusting screw w/large locknut on top of the box. Better get some knowledgeable advice or maybe try to google it before wrenching on it too much though.

3. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Thanks buddy, I've been looking around but haven't really found anything solid yet. I hope to find something soon.

Sam

4. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Try here, on-line manuals:

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/index.htm

Look closely at the steering arm coming out of the side of the steering box, if it moves up/down - forward/back when rocking the steering wheel back & forth with weight on the front wheels you need new bushings at that shaft. Best fix is the 53/54 steering assy - it has ball bearings instead of bushings.

A more common problem is the idler arm under the front cross member, if it is loose it will move up/down while rocking the steering wheel. It can be fixed with new bushings.