Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why is cruising dead???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zombie 51, Jan 24, 2011.

1. dseale4888

dseale4888

We have loads of "cruise nights" here in Mass. There a few of us who travel together to get there and back which is where we get some of the enjoyment. The other part of "cruise nights" is getting to check out what others have done to thier cars and how they went about doing it. We socialize and talk to one another. The lawn chairs I mentioned in the earlier post were to watch the show cars cruise in the evenings as only they are allowed to cruise from 7 to 10 pm Friday and Saturday night.

Dave

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Do you have any idea how hard it is to drive slowly, while sitting in a foldup chair and listening to the raffle while the girls chat in their own little corner?

3. allyoop

allyoop
    from Michigan

When I moved to a small town in Michigan they cruised through the 80's but the cops cracked down on it after that. The main issue was trash. There were turn around spots where people would hang out and just leave trash everywhere. I really think that was the biggest issue. There was some racing but we went out onto I69 for that. There were some stop light to stop light runs but just to size up who you were going to race on the interstate.

4. lazee

lazee

We cruised to see your friends that were near your age (Hopefully the girls ( or hustling a race, Mostly it was showing off what ya drove. Now those things don't seem so important.
    The rod runs and monthly get togethers are still a nice place to be.

5. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

After reading through this thread, it seems that the word "kid" and "gang-banger" are completely interchangeable.

There are a lot of kids out my way who don't cruise around looking for people to shoot. I think maybe some of you guys who claim all the youth bust caps to settle their differences live in bigger cities in bad neighborhoods.

I live in a small town of 30,000 people, and if I have beef with someone, I'm not going to shoot them for giving me a dirty look or something, and I doubt there are any around my area who would.

Facebook is sort of the new cruising, I suppose. A lot of folks my age are always surfing Facebook and posting all sorts of ridiculous status updates. If all that were to go away, and the only way you could get your social fix was to go out and find people, everybody would be out cruising, but that's never going to happen.

6. outlaw256

outlaw256

ive just read this thread from 1st page all thru.im 55 and i cruised till around the late 80s. in dyersburg tn.only a handful had really cool cars. most drove drivable projects.but we cruised. that was what we did.we would park for a while at the d.q., then off we would go for a round or two and back to the d.q.cruisin started out as a 50s thing that carried well in to the 90s.and it changed along the way, as all things must.how many things that teens started in the 50s lasted as long.hell look at rockin roll.back in the day it was rockin roll now rock is so veried that it is divided and sub divided. so many different genres.so it is with life. it just changes even if we dont want it too it does. i would love to go back to my time and live it all over again. but i cant.so in my mind, when i get in one of my hamb friendly cars i go back in time and im young again.with a 8 track on or cassette (i dont have a cd player)playing.dont much care for criuse-ins.but ill take it if all i can get.i cant stay up as late as i used to.yea, i have health issues i never had before.i cant see good at nite anymore either.but i still love to drive my cars and i will keep doing it until i die.even if i have to do it by myself.guys my age dont go criusin around here so i go alone.or with my wife. (who doesnt get mad at me for lookin at the young pretty girls)but it was lot more fun in the day because it was shared with my friends.times change. we cant stop it.im just not very much part of the NEW TIMES. i do live alot in the past. thats where im comfortable.

7. It almost happened in Egypt a week or so back. Then everyone had to hang out in the town square. I'll bet they never do that again. :eek:

You're right about one thing not all young people are gang bangers and there's the rub. Its not the "Gang Bangers" that you have to watch out for, its the wannabe gang bangers. The real bad boys are out doing there own thing not out cruising up and down main street.

Bottom line is that you really can't go back, and having been there I'm not sure I would want to. Given my choices I would much ruther set my old hooptie on kill and cruise on over to the San Francisco for crab or down to Midland for texmex than run around and around in mid town for hours on end.

8. choptvan

choptvan

Originally Posted by 49ratfink [​IMG]
    it has been outlawed because kids these days are stupid.

My kids are not. So careful what you say. Maybe saying something along the lines of " A few bad apples ruined it for the rest " would be a better way to put it? You think?

My kids will be cruisin. They already fight over who gets to ride in the 54 and where at and love to go for drives. Every sunday usually. While drivin they talk about what cars they want. All old thankfully. And then you should see them at car shows. That is entertaining.

9. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Yeah, I heard they blocked international IP's and didn't have internet. I'm not sure about cell phones and all that though, but that's no big deal. Egypt doesn't have great car manufacturers anyway.

You're right about that as well, a lot of people feel like they have something to prove...

We're never going back to the '50s and '60s. That's all there is to it. It's just a culture change. Cruising doesn't fit how it used to.

10. Russian

Russian

I will be 24 in 2 week and i go for a cruise in OT car, gadder my friends and drive around the city just for fun or for girls :D I see lots of young guys driving in my city just to drive it not to get from point A to point B... young guys still cruise the streets of there cities only the cars are different from what they used to be... there is a place where every friday drag races are held not far from my city and cops know it and come to watch (they are actually watching) you can do burnouts, drag race in front of the cops, but you have to do it save or it's over

so if cruising is alive in my little shit city whit it's little shit cars, then i think it's alive everywhere!

11. sic-nic

sic-nic

we get a bunch of us together and pick a restaurant thats a good shag from where we are and drive there. we also do a leaf run in the fall up to the adirondack mtns. really kool cruise.

12. tjmercury

tjmercury

When we went cruising in high school, the city passed a law that if a PO "observed" you passing by them three times within 15 minutes, they could write you a ticket for obstructing/hindering traffic. The worst part is that you can cruise around the whole town in 5 minutes doing the speed limit!!

13. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

It ain't. I actually think cruising has a better chance of survival out in the little towns than the big cities to do legislation. At least in this country.

14. encswsm

encswsm

I grew up in Wilmington Delaware in the late 70's.. we used to cruise on Kirkwood Highway all the time and Over in Newark by the college. or on Concord pike, hanging out at the Old Charcoal Pit. On thursday night we would go into Philly and race on South front street till the cops came and opened the fire hydrants to wet the streets.. we would move over to Broad st.. or just roll home.. Those dats were sweet... I havent found the place here in Southern Louisiana.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  15. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

Wow, never die's here in Los Angeles So Cal. Sorry to here about your lonelyness.

16. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Cuz we are all crusin the internet!!!!!! Get outside and go some were. They can't bust us all.

17. I remember cruising 15th in Longview back in the day. Before that was Commerce Ave. We used to street race on Fiber way...which is far from where the cruising was.
    Longview police just got tired of doing their job and store owners bitched...after alot of whining to the local government, they made it illegal. Now Cowlitz county can pride itself on it's young substance abusing population.
    Your fuel tax only allows you to make so many trips up the same street in an hour.

18. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

im always cruising in my chev, i have a daily driver that i never drive, after work/on weekends il do a lap or two of what ever town im in (to see whos hanging around where) if i see someone i know i pull over and have a chat. the best time sin my life have been because of spontaneously meeting people and doing stuff whiel cruisin around ha

19. God I miss cruisin' Deer Park ave!!!! Moved here to Colorado around 84, they used to close Colfax between Kipling and Wadsworth....no one ever told us to turn down Billy Squire?

20. Zombie I think you hit that one right. But I don't think it's just the kids fault. I don't know one other kid in her school that spends anytime in a garage with thier kids. My daughter has been involved in my car business since she was born. She still argues about having to work at the shop and she will be 16 in June. We make her sit down to dinner everynite with us as well as go to car shows and cruises. Family style...What else would she be doing you ask....NUTHIN'! laaaazzzyyyy. My mom was a Rockette and I had to sit in a dance studio all day if i wasnt in school...now that sucked. Free time is what kills these kids, and us. lol. I built my 64' just so we can cruise as a family....When we were growing up I would of died to get in my neighbors garage to see what was up, hand em' tools etc. So if anyone has a pesky kid hangin around the garage hand em a tool, put em to work maybe we can keep our hobby alive one more generation.

21. tubby44

tubby44
    from Long Beach

Damm I remember seeing that it was so cool cars all over the place, people seating in the parking lot ;)

22. We use to cruise all the time in high school and college. In high school parents always knew where to find their hoodlum children. They were cruising main street. The city fathers were against cruising and did everything to prevent cruising. They would block off parking lots and streets. They hated to see kids having too much fun. Now the business wish there was more traffic on their street.

One thing that they hated was the cars with ten million watt amplifiers. You could hear them ten blocks away and I did not enjoy this part of cruising. I was gald to see this end.

I drive by the high school now and there are no cool cars that kids are working on and fixing up. Most kids drive newer cars than my newest car. I think they would rather play games on the computer than work on a car. I do not know where they go at night. They are not on the streets like we were. I think school busing has changed how think about cars. In the old days you walked to school or drove your jalopy. Now you walk out to the school bus stop.

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

Smitty777, back in the day we used to cruise Sunrise Highway, and hang out at Schorrs Drive In restaurant and street race on the Jones Beach Causeway.

24. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

This thread should have stayed dead.

25. smarg

smarg

This thread should die off.

People will keep saying the same crap without reading through the whole thing.

Read all 20 pages before replying to this topic!

26. drunkandgreasy

drunkandgreasy
    from nunya

maybe ya'll should stay off of it then and let the other guys enjoy it....

27. ems customer service

ems customer service

28. smarg

smarg

Maybe you should go get "drunk" and "greasy"?

29. drunkandgreasy

drunkandgreasy
    from nunya

Spot on HAMB douchebaggery...well done.

Well, I dont want your keyboard to beat up my keyboard...guess you win...

30. Cruising in Chicago got killed due to street racing, Fast and Furious movies, gang bangers, underage drinking, loud music systems, and littering.

I hope we can see some come back, I'm hoping to talk to any Chicago guys with older cars who want to find a spot to hang out once a week.