Register now to get rid of these ads!

shop owners question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jleblanc31, Mar 26, 2011.

1. jleblanc31

jleblanc31

I ve been doing mobile repair work for some time now and the majority of my customers are vintage cars so I have desided to go exclusive to classics and antique cars. I'm ordering new buisness cards and I would like to put my labor rate on the card. is this a good idea or should I omit the labor rate. Also I would like to put a min of 1 hour. let the coments begin.

2. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I would avoid putting your rate on the card ~ what if you need to change it? Be better off to put up a website and have the rate & services on there, and reference the website with the business cards instead.

They'll look more professional and less like coupons.

3. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

I totally agree with davidbistolas, above. All the reasons he cited are spot on. It's going to be awkward to change the hourly rate and then have someone present an older card with less per hour.
    Best of luck with this endeavour!!

4. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

never........first of all, its sticker shock for alot of people........put it right up front that you are more worried about money than your customers cars, and i know for a fact from my customers, they want to feel special, not like your cash cow, but thats my opinion and in california.....good luck....

5. Using the word 'minimum' just has a bad sound to it. You can convey the same message in a less harsh way. If someone asks you "How much to ..." your reply would be "Starting at $xxx and up, depending on how large the job is"
    Sends a better message than "I won't even consider coming to your shop unless you pay me at least $xxx"

I do in-home services for a home improvement company. Our estimates don't say "Minimum job $1000". But we DO say "We could complete that project for you for as little as $1000, depending on the job requirements". I know its a fine line, but it does say the same thing just in a nicer way.

And don't put it on your cards, that's not a normal business practice and it would look weird. Like the other guys say like a coupon.

6. .....all good advice, not to mention the fact that working on a million dollar car may require much more careful attention to detail and specialized tools requiring more effort on your part, so don't pigeon-hole yourself with a "one-rate-fits-all" hourly...

7. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I wouldn't either. You can explain your pricing structure after they come in the door.
    When I ran a shop, I found it pretty hard to keep the prices carved in stone anyway. You'll always get people who want waste your time, want to spend an hour yapping about a 20 minute repair.

8. jleblanc31

jleblanc31

Thanks guys it will not be on the buisness card. thanks for all the advice.

9. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I've been seriously looking into the whole business card concept a lot more lately. I am myself pondering a display type car with art work on it, something neat that a customer will find cool and hang up on the wall or something. You get so much printed crap now days that it just becomes trash before it gets your attention. The words reasonable rates covers your pricing inquiry, in that way you set that into the subconcious.

10. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

I would not list the labor rate, or minimums on either a business card, or even a website. This is poor business practice to start talking about money before you even score the job. This approach would turn me off and not even bother checking out your shop in more detail.

11. I'm with everyone else here. Your best NOT to post pricing on your cards.

12. A Rodder

A Rodder

I find in my business which has a store front that I have an hourly rate of $60 an hour but most jobs I quote are at a fixed rate, a qoute rather than by the hour. The only time I say it will be by the hour is if the problem needs diagnosed, as that time is unkown. I like knowing a close price before work begins.

13. Do not put the labor rate on your business card. Consider your experience/skills first and foremost. Why promote price, when quality of work should be the emphasis (particularly on classic and antique cars). When the discussion turns into price for labor, you will have had the opportunity to inform/educate and yes, impress him. The hourly labor rate becomes less of an issue, then your ability to provide the service the customer wants..as it should be.

14. bob collins

bob collins
    from MA

I would make the argument that ALL automotive shops, custom, mechanical, collision etc should bill in dollars, not at a hourly rate.

There are things that you can not build into a hourly rate, things like acceptance of liability, warranty, degree of diffcultly, the value of the service, and others.

The only two professions that sell services by the hour are lawyers and hookers.

15. blt2go

blt2go

list me as a hooker then. doing crash work and dealing with insurance companies i have to have an hourly rate. i agree with most above, don't put your rate on a card. good luck, and don't limit your service to one group of autos. specialization is great when honing skills but in this business i think you should sell your service to all that will pay your price.

16. MODELA30

MODELA30

I think it depends on the work you do. I really think that if you are good put the amount out there..but only on the wall of the shop. Business cars are the opening line in the conversation of the shop. When the person goes in the shop then looks around at the work you do then he will know if you are worth the money you want. I would put the sign on the wall you first see when you are walking in so it is clear. A person of common sense will know you get what you pay for. Knuck From Indiana.

17. ems customer service

ems customer service

i am not sure about the mobile thing with older cars, hard to find parts, drivetime and special tools etc. yes there is less overhead but a out of the way shop could be ok too

maybe get your own rollback and pick up the cars for work

jmo

18. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The market rate isn't the same for all kinds of jobs.

Every time you change your rate you will need new cards.

Unless you intend to work time and material, providing an hourly rate can work against you. Say your rate is higher than the next guy. But, you work faster than he does. In the end your work could be cheaper, but the hourly rate makes you look more expensive.

Based on my own experience, and as was mentioned by several, an interesting and good looking business card is worth the extra cost. For your kind of work I suggest a good grade of card stock with one, two, or maybe three, photo quality mechanically related images. Some business card printers can't make those kinds of cards, but it can be done.

19. A Rodder

A Rodder

I like the extra thick card stock well.

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Put as little info on your card as possible. Name, Phone number, adress, town and company `s name. The quality of work you do speaks for itself.

21. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

What are the legal requirments where you are- here the law requires that
    the hourly rate be posted on the wall in an area generally visible to the
    public. I would never put it on a business card. Jim

22. Jimm56

Jimm56

Post your hourly rates on the shop wall, not on your card. Customers will come into your shop to sign the work order, contract, agreement, whatever, and your rates will be visible then and they'll know you charge everybody the same.
    And don't use chalk on the sign:)

23. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I agree. Business cards don't make a business, any more than the card stock does.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  24. BurnoutNova

BurnoutNova
    from USA

My biggest fear would be not having an opportunity to actually talk to the customer, they may disregard your service without you even knowing they considered you. The worst customer to loose in my opinion is the one that leaves silently, because you never knew what you missed or in some cases what you could have done to earn their business.

25. oj

oj

What you charge is what you charge, period. That should not be your best business advertisement - let the bottom feeders occupy that domain because most of your customers would be price-tag shoppers. They are not what you want as a permanent customer, those are the type that want something for nothing and take pride in the fact that they got it for less than the market value and will share you with thier like-minded buddies. You do not want them in your shop, they will run you out of business.
    Last week i turned down a new customer that wanted 2 disk brake conversions (a '56 merc & a '57 ford) and an airconditioning install ('57 ford) because he price-shopped everything and wanted me to compete against ebay componants when i chose packages from Stainless Steel Brakes and Vintage Air. It was a lot of money, i need the work but i could see where it was going and i ran the cocksucker out of the shop, that is type of customer that will prey on new businesses, get them in trouble and a horror story in the making.
    Your business card should be plain, professional and a minimum of information - it is what you are in the briefest words so that an interested person won't have to do a bunch of reading. He looks at it, sees your name, what you do and a phone number and website. A nice clean professional card without frills and gewgaws can be a reflection on how you do your work and conduct business.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with O in that your business card should be plain and simple. But it should also have a classy enough appearance so that guys will keep it when you hand it out.

Leave any reference to prices or rates off the card.

If you do good work and are reliable your main advertising is going to be word of mouth anyhow if you are sticking to vintage or what you refer to as classic cars.

Work will come more on the "call my guy, he will come to your garage and do the work there". Thing rather than someone you just handed a business card to.
    And the majority of those guys expect you to be discreet in that you don't blab about what they have in the garage or where they live.

Sounds interesting but I'd still rather have the vehicles come to my shop where I had the equipment and resources to do the job in a timely manner without the issue of having to go to someone else's place. Even walking back and forth to the truck for tools eats up a lot of extra time.

27. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

To one degree or another, successful small business operators have some degree of self-promotion skills. A business card can be a mini-brochure, a way to promote what you do, and an way to help/make people remember you. If you are George Barris, or if you already have more work than you can do, your suggestion makes sense. Otherwise, while it is possible to go too far, it is a lost opportunity to give name/rank/serial number and leave it to your potential customers to figure out the rest for themselves.

28. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I like the peanuts cards but fear I would eat all of them.

29. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

Have a minimum show up charge for quote on work you will be performimg

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do not have anything on the cards but the contact information (telephone and email) and the website.

I don't even have the address of the shop on the card, or the website. Why create a mini-brochure of what you do, and then tell the world where the tools you do it with are located?