Register now to get rid of these ads!

clueless sellers: let's hear your success stories. (model a coupe=32 ford, etc)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironandsteele, Feb 15, 2011.

1. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

anyone else have any good stories?

2. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Back in the 70's I must have bought 30 Chevrolets from guys who swore the valves were burnt.Engines ran rough and popped back through the carb.Buy them for next to nothing,never more than $30.00.Replace the base gasket under the carb and they were good to go.I'm sure some of the other old farts here remember that problem those engines had..Bought a 1965 Plymouth Satellite with a 361,4-speed,3.23 sure grip from a guy who had it in his back yard.$75.00 got me the car and title.Aired up the tires added a new battery along with a gallon of gas and I drove it home.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  3. I always like this classified.
    "Ran when we PARKED ten years ago!"

4. STUKA

STUKA

Just bought a 65 Galaxie to replace my broken ass Dodge Dakota..Guy said it had headers and was fast.Turns out its a 428 with a factory aluminum Police Interceptor intake,pertronix /Mallory ignition,driveshaft hoop,etc..Bad ass car,except the gay velvet interior complete with import bucket seats!.

5. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I wanted to bump this back up in case anyone else wanted to chime in with their story.

Any more out there? Love to hear it.

6. Igosplut

Igosplut

A friend bought a ZL1 motor back in the 80s. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it, let me know. I asked again in 1997. He said sure. The price? 2300.00 just what he payed for it..

A guy that used to be the service manager for the local now shut down Chevy dealer called me and said he had some parts for me if I wanted them. One of the boxes was a brand new factory GM AM/FM radio kit for a 65 Chevelle with all the instructions/hardware and an under dash 4 speaker balance unit (I do think they ordered it to swap a non-working radio out of another Chevelle, but it looked brand new). This is back in like 01, I put it on ebay (first thing I ever sold on there) to get enough money to buy a pair of buckets for my 66) A guy with a Z16 resto project bid it up to 1776.00. I was blown away..

Also on ebay I looked at an add for a "Cast iron pulley". Bought it for 1.50. It was a 67 427/435 vette lower pulley.

A guy I knew asked me if I was interested in an old trans he had lying in an old shed that fell down in his back yard. Said if I wanted it, go get it. It turned out to be a 63 (one year only) muncie in like new shape.

A friend was contacted by a guy hauling junk in the 80s about this motor lying under a cast iron bathtub in a yard he was cleaning up. He wanted a 100.00 for it, said it was funny-looking (spark plug wires come out of the valve covers??) He bought it sight unseen, and went we went over there it turned out to be a 68 426 street hemi complete pan to air cleaner....

I also remember when I was pumping gas as a little kid, they had a sorta ugly looking car with a blown motor that the guy wanted 1500.00 for so he didn't have to haul it back to NY (this is 1970) Nobody was interested, so the guy came down after three months and towed it home. The car??? 427 AC Cobra..

Last edited: May 22, 2011