Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Winter Project: 1957 Pontiac Starchief

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bryan6902, Feb 7, 2009.

1. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

So, next stop the paint booth...??? Any idea how long it's going to be away...??? It's looking really good tho...

R-

2. bryan6902

bryan6902

Thanks! Yes it is at the body shop right now. The shop is 40 minutes one way so I'll throw up pics once a month or so. I didn't want it to be too close or I'd be over there ALL THE TIME, hovering.

No real time frame on it, its a regular collision shop so it's kind of back-burner, but he knows I'd like it back this summer. Then I get to hang bumpers and trim and wire it...... Oh, and put windows in, your favorite part, Roger!

Photos will be posted when I get 'em, thanks for looking!

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

LOL...40 minnits away isn't THAT far...I'd be hovering (and I was when mine got painted - it was 20 minnits away...!!!).

I hope your side windows go in better than mine did...good luck with it...

R-

4. bryan6902

bryan6902

Ok, thought I would toss out a quick update with a few pictures. Things took a while to get rolling as we are having a "Body Shop Dream Winter" around here. Lots of snow = lots of collision work. So my car got pushed back a little, which isn't really a big deal. We started off by getting a different hood since the blaster warped mine. So the hood and deck got all straightened and filled and are primed and ready for paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course be fore they really got started all the panels were re-fit and aligned. One more picture for now and I got to go to work, we are currrently getting more snow!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

[​IMG]

5. bryan6902

bryan6902

So I stopped by yesterday to check out the progress. They are mostly done with the right side, just a few little things left....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems like a lot of filler, but it's actually just a skim coat. Was really happy with how our rocker repair turned out on this side. Thanks slim53!! We also found the 1/4 panel had pulled away from the inside wheel well for whatever reason. They shrunk the metal up and it pulled right back in. Was thinking this is maybe why my rocker rusted out so bad? Years of water and dirt and whatever hanging inside of that couldn't have been good!

6. bryan6902

bryan6902

They also fit up the trunk lid and started working the rear panel between the bottom of the trunklid and the bumper. This must be a common rot-spot on these as the ones I see in yards are either completely eaten away by rust or completely cut off for some other car. I replace about 2/3rds of the metal here, from the license plate cut-out to the right fin. Obviously it was not perfect but they seem to have worked it so it looks good. With the car completely assembled you hardly even see this area.

[​IMG]

They started work on the left side 1/4..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And are metal finishing the left fender and door...

[​IMG]

7. bryan6902

bryan6902

Thats about where it sits at this point. I personally have not done a whole lot this winter except for shovel/move snow, lame-o! We just got another 6-10 today so I suppose they will have a couple of more days on this before the collision work starts rolling again. Sent a couple of pieces out for re-plating, excited to see those and will post before/after pics when those come back. Keep watching for updates, when these guys get moving things seem to happen quickly!

8. Bull

Bull

Looking good Bryan! I was out at the shop earlier this week to see it for myself.

9. Tall Tom

Tall Tom
    from Austin MN

I just stumbled across this today. Nice job and documentation (I have over 200 pictures of my T coupe build).
    I had a 57 Poncho from 63 to 65. It had dark, dark metallic Brown paint, white/gray leather seats. Stock engine with a four barrel, what a top end..... that sideways bar on the speed-o would go out past 120 and silver would come out to 15 at the other end. Did lots on street racing with it.

Attached Files:

10. bryan6902

bryan6902

Thanks! Now would be a good point to mention that Bull's dad's shop is doing the body and paint work for me. Neil is a hot rodder from way back, he put together a very nice 50 Ford that was nominated for MSRA custom of the year a few years back. It was a no brainer to bring it to him, quality is top notch! Here's a link to his web page, http://www.WrightCountyCollision.com/

Also want to mention that Bull and I have be friends since Junior High. I remember passing magazines back and forth in class and having Auto Shop together in High School. We drifted apart for a few years and became re-aquainted through the HAMB and Facebook. I also got him hooked up with my car club, The Scavengers, because you can never have too many class acts in one club. Heres a link to his current build just in case you missed it, http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371150

11. bryan6902

bryan6902

Thanks Tom! Can't wait to see the speedometer on mine do that! You're from Austin I see. Scavenger's started in Albert Lea, so I bet we know a few of the same guys. Thanks for posting the picture, got any more? Bryan

12. Tall Tom

Tall Tom
    from Austin MN

That's the only picture I could find of it.

My Father-in-Law had a brand new 57 and he got the silver out to 35 mph.

I knew a lot of guys from the Thumpers Car Club but not the Scavengers.

One time I raced a Ford Falcon with a Four Barrel 289/four speed. I got him out of the hole and he caught up quickly with his rear wheels right at my drivers window..... he was power shifting and peeling rubber up to third gear and then HE started pulling away up to about 85 mph where he backed off... just as I was narrowing the gap. Sure wished he would have kept going.... like I said that Poncho had a great Top End.

13. hemifarris

hemifarris

Cool car. Great progress. You don't see many '57s any more...Mike

14. bryan6902

bryan6902

Got a sweet Birthday e-mail update from Bull that was chock full of some new photos!:D:D:D

They're clipping right along with the body work, I am really pleased with the progress so far! Seems like its happening so fast....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So as you can see the body work is about done and they're going to start priming and blocking it out soon. I really can't wait to get out to check it out! Having it 70 miles away round-trip is good and bad sometimes...

15. Buckin_Rodz

Buckin_Rodz

Man that y'all are doin a great job on that poncho as a new daddy myself (1st timer) and I've got a 55 chieftian you've inspiried me to take my time pay attention to detail and not be temped to slap it together just to drive but to build something a person can be very proud of and enjoy for years to come keep up the good work

16. bryan6902

bryan6902

Thanks, means a lot! Got some fresh updates coming in the next couple days so stay tuned!

17. leroys85coupe

leroys85coupe
    from usa

nice car man i read the entire thread very kool

18. bryan6902

bryan6902

So its time for a little update. I do not have any recent photos from the body shop, but have been told that the entire body and all the panels have been primed and are being block sanded at this moment. Was out a week ago to undercoat the front fenders but didn't bring the camera, sorry guys.. In the mean time I've been busy making the interior usable, since I'm not going to have the $$$$ to do it exactly like I want. So Mom & Baby got me a matching set of Mexican blankets for my birthday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put it all together over my original frames and springs that I had blasted and epoxy primed. I put in some new foam from the craft store, Michaels, a hog-ringed the blankets in place. It looks good and will get me driveable. I love to do things right the first time around but am willing to sacrafice here to be able to drive the car as opposed to just work on it all the time. Also spruced up the original armrests for the time being...

[​IMG]

19. bryan6902

bryan6902

Also got some shiny stuff redone with the folks at Ogden Chrome. What started out like this...

[​IMG]

and this...

[​IMG]

Came out like this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very pleased with their work, except for one spot in a so-so core. Its unseen in these photos and will be out of sight with the hood closed, so I'm ok with it at this point. The goal is to drive this car at some point THIS YEAR!!!

Thanks for looking, hoping for more updates in the very near future....

20. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

21. bryan6902

bryan6902

Swung out to the body shop today to check the test panels they sprayed out for me and took a few photos of it all primed and blocked out. I asked what's next? And he said to make up my mind on colors....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting excited!!!!

22. bryan6902

bryan6902

Ok, we'll try photos again...

Attached Files:

23. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Bryan, the links aren't working. Please fix them, I want to check it out :D

*edit, ooops, there they are. Looks great man!

24. bryan6902

bryan6902

Here are some better pictures, I was really excited last night and was trying to do to much and the pictures just weren't working...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thats looking really nice ! By the looks of the block sanding that thing is gonna be as straight as a laser !! When do they expect to lay down the shiny stuff?

26. bryan6902

bryan6902

This week, so it can sit for the long weekend, with no one around touching or moving it.

27. skoh73

skoh73

Looks awesome! I like your color choices- very classy. Can't wait to see it shiny.

28. bryan6902

bryan6902

Couple of update photos.... Was hoping there would be more paint on it by now but a couple issues came up. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Nothing huge, just time consuming and after having this car for 16 years what's a couple more days, right???

Got the white/ivory color sprayed on the roof and side insert....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They started with the white since they weren't sure exactly where the side trim went, issue #1.

So while I left work to bring them the trim, they started on the white figuring it would be easier to tape that off than taping off the green later. Then they ran out of a mixing color, issue #2, hurry up and wait....

Then a 3 day weekend, equals another working day lost.... What can you do! Regardless, I am very pleased with how things are going and cannot wait for it to be done at the body shop and be at home again.

They also sprayed some color on the dash and inner door panels. Seeing the color actually on the car and not a sample paddle or 40 years of sun-baked laquer is awesome! I love how it turned out and am getting even more excited to see it on the whole thing....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Looking great ! thanks for keeping the updates. That will be one sweet Poncho when done !

30. This is one of those threads where I actually wish I'd found it after the car was done, cuz I'm always left hanging for the next installment. Keep the updates comin'...