Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help need chrome shop in Long Beach area

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tubby44, Mar 24, 2011.

1. tubby44

tubby44
    from Long Beach

Need to find a chrome plating shop around in Long Beach area in Ca.I when to one to day and he said no way I just wanted it redone not show chrome! its a horn ring for a 1958 Ford He was also rude:mad: also has anyone tried that chrome paint? system

2. IWB

IWB

Try Artistic Silver Platting in Signal Hill it's on orange south of willow

3. Berky

Berky

I used Custom Chrome on South St. a few years ago to straighten a bumper and re-chrome and I was very pleased with the results. I had planed on using them again unless someone can tell me who is better.

They seem to cater to the low riders and you know how they love their chrome :cool:

4. TV

TV

Custom Chrome on south st. has always done me a good job at a good price. They do all of their polishing on site. Then they send it to their chroming shop in Arizona. If you don't like it they will re-do it.--TV They are on Cherry st. at South st. in N Long Beach.

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

If you don't mind driving to Pomona, there is superior chrome on 2nd street. I have had many parts chromed there recently and I am very happy with the results. 1044 E 2nd St Tel: 909.865.4936

6. Offy 220

Offy 220

Not sure which Chrome shop you went to but I have had a few bumpers re-chromed at the shop on Anaheim between Harbor and Santa Fe in West LB. The guy I used had a night crew that did the work and he even picked up the parts at my house. I am wondering if the shop you went to thought the horn ring was too small or too difficult to re-chrome?

7. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

Do you know the name of the shop?

8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Cal bumper/Gils/ Long beach plating

Closed up a few months ago

I use Greg at artistic for my show stuff, and Decore here in Gardena for everthing else.

9. Offy 220

Offy 220

Thanks for the update on Cal bumper/Long Beach plating. The guy I used went by the name of Holiday Chrome and bumper and was using the shop at night. I found him in the phone book but now he is not listed.

Artistic's phone number is 562-427-0113. Decore is involved with USAC/CRA sprint car racing - Don and Rodney Argo.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  10. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

I would use Verne's in Gardena - excellent work. Or I'd mail it to Josh, the plater here on the Hamb - he always gets very good referrals. I've also used Orange County Plating for years. They do good work. (714) 771-1510. On Parker near Katella

One of the other Hambers referred you to a place on Second St in Pomona. He didn't say the name but I think he was referring to Hoak Brothers. If so, they are temporarily closed as the shop has been sold and the new owner won't be in till around April 1st. Hoak was always the cheapest around; the work was OK but not phenomenal. Don't know how the new owner will be.

Most shops charge a minimum on small orders - maybe $50 to $85?

11. tubby44

tubby44
    from Long Beach

he's the one that didn't want to do it!:mad:

12. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Heard Vernes was closing down also--- tired of all the EPA crap

13. Squablow

Squablow

A horn ring is a very intricate part to have rechromed, and it's also die cast so more than likely has pitting, it's not going to be cheap no matter where you bring it. Also, I'm fairly sure that Ford used the same horn ring from 57-59 so I'd say you're much better off searching for a cherry original one on eBay, especially if you don't need it to be perfect.

You should be able to pick up a really nice used example for $50 or less, and even the cheapest chrome shops will charge you triple that. A cheap chrome job will wash out the details on a horn ring also and won't look as nice as a clean original will.

14. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

Just to be certain, it was never brought to my shop.

I do horn rings all the time, but they can run up to $200 range because they are a pain to make nice again. This stuff was never designed to be restored when made new, that's for sure.

15. contact restoration pieces in lawndale. 424-288-6514 did all the work on my 52 and they do all the local lowrider stuff (picky bunch)

excellent work and very reasonable.

the guy is also a MASTER with stainless.

16. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

No Josh it wasn't in your shop sorry. its was Vern's and I just wanted re driped and I would have payed that! like I said he was rude on top of it:confused:

17. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

Yeah, I knew what you meant, I just want others to know too. :cool:

If you asked for the part to just get "re-dipped" it may have struck a nerve with a cranky plater, as us platers have to do so much more than that to restore these old pieces. It's his loss for being rude regardless of how you asked.

18. tubby44

tubby44
    from Long Beach

No Josh it didn't go down that way He told to get a repop ring and I told him that they didn't make one he said that he had BIG buffing wheel and if they caught a corner someone would brake a arm! and then he give me the horn ring back and walked away

19. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

He's right about the big buffing wheels not being safe for a horn ring, but there are small buffing wheels, too, we've got a collection of all sorts of types and sizes, any custom shop should. It's a stupid excuse.