Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My favorite Barris photo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twochops, Apr 6, 2009.

1. [​IMG]
    This is my favorite Barris photo ever ....... Sams car getting chopped according to the books ...... oh wait a minute,Sams car never had an antenna on his rear bumper,Jerrys merc was the only one who had that.Infact Sams antenna was NEVER changed or moved,to this day it is still in its stock location. Thank you so much Marcia Cambell for clearing all this up for us with your stunning photos you took. R.I.P Marcia Cambell

2. havi

havi

Thank you! I would've missed this awesomeness otherwise.

3. [​IMG]
    What gorgeous car and a great photo.

4. One I took at Atlantic City auction...

Attached Files:

5. That is a great picture. I wonder why Bob didn't have the skirts on the car?

6. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I like to post this link up every now and again when it looks like the George haters are coming out,and to inject a little factual history in amongst the opinions;

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385721

It makes for a good read, and puts the whole Barris deal into perspective. Without one you wouldn't have had the other.
    Paul

7. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Oh yeah,I forgot to add, I don't really give a shit what George does now, just back in the day when it mattered.
    Paul

8. Rikster

Rikster

This Barris photo is very special to me.

The photo was taken by Marcia Campbell... and I'm a huge fan of her Custom Car photography.
    The Subject - Sam Barris and his 1949 Mercury - is absolutely perfect.
    And the actual photo was most likely hand developed by Marcia herself. This was a very old print that had aged very nicely with very small crack all over, and a wonderful slight sepia tone... and I got to hold it in my hands...

Very special moment.

[​IMG]

9. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I found that picture.... :D it was crazy like discovering a dinosaur bone..

Goerge tells the story that he was bugging to get Sam to pose next to the car and while
    he was working he got him to finally doit that's why he looks annoyed..

But I never knew that Marcia took that shot? Crazy how the storys change.. :D

10. Ya that article is a good one,I have that issue of Hopup and I like reading it from time to time.

11. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I dont think I've ever seen this Merc but I know its my new favorite (next to BADBOBS of coarse) Its BEAUTIFUL!! where is it now?

12. Rik that photo is great and word is .... that was the last time Sam ever saw that car in person.The photo was taken as the car was leaving with the new owner,according to John Barris.It really is a great photo.

13. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

This is mine.... shot at "Blessing Of The Cars" a few years ago.........with my Pinhole Camera....George was kind enough to stand still for the long exposure...twice......!
    [​IMG]

14. Rikster

Rikster

Motor Trend magazine feature...

photos by Marcia Campbell... (note the retouched work pants.)

[​IMG]

15. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

interesting.. thanks Rik..

Maybe he was getting Sam so Marcia could shoot the photo.

16. [​IMG]
    Great Picture ,Same grill as the Dan Landon chevy.I love the look of this.

17. HRod 50

HRod 50

This is my favorite Barris photo.. As you read about all these builders and shop owners, like Bo Huff who do not have health insurance or shop insurance, living barely pay check to pay check. It makes me really appreciate what George did for the Barris shop, and custom car world from a business aspect. George should be admired for being the man on how to run a business. George may, as some of you put it, whore himself out, but I'm glad at least he's the one reaping the rewards from it. I actually appreciate George for doing it. I've shaken the man's hand, and had numerous conversation with him. I feel honored that I have, and it is something I can tell my children and grand kids about and show them the cars he and others have had a part in, when they are all driving boring cookie cutter areodynamic electric cars....

Attached Files:

18. Rod Zombie

Rod Zombie
    from Florida

George was athletic as seen in the picture of him doing a hand stand. In addition George was an accomplished photographer who photographed Marlyn Monroe on numerous occasions. Last but not least here is the 1958 Ultrabird George built for his wife Shirley.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  19. [​IMG]
    When talking about favorite Barris photos ................

20. The George Barris that photographed Marlyn Monroe was a different George Barris.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    George Barris grew up in New York City before the World War II. His interest in photography was lifelong, and as a young man he worked for the U.S. Army's Office of Public Relations. Many of his phtographs of General Eisenhower were published.

After the war, he became a freelance photographer and readily found work in Hollywood. He photographed many stars of the 1950s and 1960s, including Elizabeth Taylor on the set of Cleopatra.

He is perhaps best known for his work with Marilyn Monroe, however, with whom he was collaborating on a book at the time of her death. As part of this project, he is believed to have taken the last photographs of Monroe while she was alive. He did not allow these to be published until many years after her death. George Barris and famed photographer Bert Stern claim to have taken the 'last picture' of Marilyn Monroe, when neither of them did, since photographer Allan Grant photographed Monroe on July 7, 1962 for a LIFE Magazine article. This article was printed just two days before Monroe's death.

21. b.t.b

22. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

Crunched running boards and all the Zaro and Andrill Mercs are beautiful. When George was in Sacramento a couple years ago he was unvieling some bicycles and they were filming him riding down the street and when traffic caught up to him he just smiled and flipped them off. As nice as he was I would really like to talk to Sam, the things that must have gone through his head to come up with these cars back then.

23. [​IMG]
    I find myself having to look at this pic from time to time,I can just imagine how good this sled sounded pulling out on to Atlantic Blvd.

24. i gotta say... i've always hated that side trim treatment, and i'm nowhere near thrilled about those taillights, but that is probably one of the most stunning merc 'verts i've ever seen. even without skirts. maybe its the top... perfect. maybe its the rear bumper... again, perfect.... i don't know. i just love it.

25. lukey

lukey

This is an awesome thread. Im a huge fan of their work tho!

-LUKEY-

26. ..........

27. What great pictures!! Thanks

28. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Funny, I love the taillights. What are they? Is it obvious?

29. Rikster

Rikster

1953 Pontiac wagon