Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 302/332

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by capten icon, Mar 24, 2011.

1. capten icon

capten icon
    from Lodi

Hello everyone,

Maybe I'm not as good at Google as I thought, but can you guys/gals tell me how long the ford 302 and 332 were made? What years? Not the Boss 302, the old 302. And what cars/trucks they came in? I very much appreciate it as I hope to go to a junk yard and pull some parts. Just need to know which cars/trucks to poke around in. Thank in advance.

-Pete

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Go to www.mre-books.com/interchange/index.html and check out the book on High Performance Ford interchanges,you can preview it by clicking on the blue sections to the left,this will give you the info you need.

3. frankenfords

frankenfords
    from SoCal

The Ford 302 was made from 1968 until 1995. The Ford 332 was made in 1958 and 1959 only. For the record, they are totally different engine families, and nothing interchanges. The 302 is a Windsor block, and the 332 is an FE.

4. capten icon

capten icon
    from Lodi

My Dad has a rebuild book for these motors, and they look very similar. The only way to tell the difference is pull the heads and measure the bore. The motor runs strong and we don't want to have to pull the heads unless we have to. Thanks for your help.

5. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Maybe he's asking about the old '62-'63 302-332 truck engines, members of the early Lincoln OHV family, look like and similar to a Y-block, but larger. I had a '63 F750 10-wheeler with a 332 and 6-spd Allison auto, and it was a tough sucker, had way too many different drivers and driven pretty hard. Only a couple parts interchange with Y-block, but the early Lincoln stuff should fit. There was also an earlier 279ci truck version

6. capten icon

capten icon
    from Lodi

Yup, looking for the older motors, as this motor I think came from the '60s. It was put in a Texoma Drill Rig. It had this huge coupler cast for the flywheel that turned the fluid drive tranny for the rig. I'm looking for the cars/trucks these motors came in so I can find the right flywheel that should be on it for non-industrial purposes.

7. 65COMET

65COMET

It would have come in a big truck,over 1 1/2 ton,or it also could have been just an industrial engine not used in a vehicle.You are in a good location as the Central Valley is a great place to find old industrial,agricultural type engines.Some of the Ford truck and industrial engines had some weird crank snouts too,drove various items from the front. ROY.

8. Willy301

Willy301

actually, if you are looking to make your 302 stronger, a later model ford explorer has a 302 in it, it has GT-40 P heads and they require different exhaust manifolds, but are a better than stock 302 head for the older stuff.. just food for thought...the reason for the different ex manifolds is because the spark plugs come straight out instead of at the backward or frontway angle.

9. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I would think most anything for the early Lincoln OHV should be "adaptable", same engine family- but not very common

10. fbama73

fbama73

I have to disagree slightly, as I drive a 1996 302 every day. I'm pretty sure '96 was the last year for them in 1/2 ton trucks, though.

11. Johnunit

Johnunit
    from Toronto

if he IS talking about the "small block ford" 302, the production ended in 2001 with the end of the 2nd gen Explorer. The last car to have it was the 1995 Mustang.

12. 65COMET

65COMET

He is talking about an early commercial 302-332 based on a different design than the Windsor based 302. ROY.

13. Very similar as in they are both V-8 engines?

An FE and an SBF are two entirely different animals. If you can't tell by just the sheer external size of them look at the intake manifold and where it separates from the head. The FE will have the rocker cover hanging over the intake manifold and the SBF ( 260,289,302) will have the valve cover on the head only.

14. OK, misunderstood - thought some were claiming an FE based. It was the Y Block, so here's what I found
    Introduced in 1952, this was Ford's first production overhead valve V-8. Original displacement was 317 cu. inch for Lincolns and 279 cu inches for truck use. The Lincoln version was increased to 341 cu. in. in 1955 and then 368 cu. in. for '56-'57. The truck engine was used until 1963 in 279, 302 and 332 cu. in. displacements. Very similar in appearance to the Ford Y-Block only larger. Only the oil pump and distributor will fit Ford Y-Block.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  15. 73RR

73RR

...even this Mopar guy figured that out...

As for the flywheel, if you are planning to use the engine in a street type vehicle then you probably don't want an original truck wheel as they are likely to be very heavy. In early/big farm trucks a 50-60lb wheel is not uncommon. Some of the big wheels can be cut to trim the weight but not all.
    It is somewhat common to 're-purpose' newer wheels for certain combinations, maybe like yours. The main goal will be to find a wheel of the correct diameter to reach the starter and, hopefully, find a ring gear with the correct tooth count.

I would not worry too much about the wheel until you have the engine on a stand and can start doing the 'measuring-pondering' thing.

Here is a Wiki line: 1952–1957 Lincoln Y-block — mid-sized (317/341/368), HD truck (279/302/317/332)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  16. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

PnB, they are neither, sounds like he is dealing with the old truck Y blocks which did come in 302 or 332. There was also a truck 332 that was an FE a little later and it does get confusing. I am not sure on parts interchangability but those truck/industrial engines were low revving engines and had pretty small ports. They also often came with really expensive sodium filled valves

17. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Do some of you guys actually read the thread before posting? :p
    He's asking about the old truck engines based on the "bigger" Lincoln Y-block type engines- not, FE's, not Windsors
    One interesting thing about those old truck engines, IIRC, they had a two-gear cam drive, reverse rotation from "normal", and big-stem sodium-filled exhaust valves like a 391HD. Also had that "different" Y-block sound. The 332 I had never had any top-end oiling problems, though. If you didn't know better, or start measuring the dimensions, you'd swear they were a "regular" Y-block- just a little bigger

18. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Google has called in extra people to handle the sudden overload ;)