Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom Build Windshield Frames?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jville_hot_skater, Mar 23, 2011.

1. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

So ive been doing an extensive search on the subject...but i really cant find anything cut and dry.

I just picked up a late 40's ford that has a build in windshield....
    My goal is to build a windshield like they did in the 30's that youll be able to swing open.

First off, i wouldnt know where to buy the window framing kit and how to bend it vs cutting it.

I did find some info on swinging windshield hinges...which is helpful

any guidance or tips...i would very much appreciate thank you all.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I suppose you can do anything if you put your mind to it. I have to wonder why though, the designers of the late 40s cars went away from the opening windshields for good reasons.

One advantage of a fixed windshield is that it adds to the structural ridgidity of the body. Which is one of the reasons it was designed and built that way.

A non opening windshield usually doesn't leak either.

3. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

what other advantages do you say? i might change my mind on the windshield if theres good reasons....but i always did dig' the swing windshields.

4. toolman1967

toolman1967

My 41 Chevy truck has a swing out windshield and it is great during the summer. Yes it leaks a little bit during a good downpour but that is a fair trade for the airflow. I have seen several glue in kits for my truck but will not even consider getting rid of it.

5. gonejunking

gonejunking
    from NW USA

You can buy "U" channel in aluminum or steel to make your frame from. Cut out some 1/2" plywood the same size as your glass and bend your channel around it. I bent my channel around the plywood then cut out the top of the channel to slide the glass in. I also cut out a piece of flat sheet stock just a little bit bigger then the window, welded it to the channel for strength and trim. The flat stock was about 3/4" wider then the glass on all sides. put weather strip under it to seal out the rain, and covered up the hinges.
    Just my 2c worth.
    Jeffrey

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

That sounds pretty slick do you have any pics?

7. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

Thought about doing this myself. Seems like a fairly straight forward solution. Gonejunking, what is that in your avatar? I would like to see some more pictures of that. Sorry to hijack.

8. toolman1967

toolman1967

When I was doing Motorcycles, I used to build show boards with the build pics and used the U shape aluminum for the frames. I bought mine at the local hardware store (True Value if you care ?) I could see how this would make a good frame. I have been thinking of building a new frame for the 41 and this is a great idea (wonder why I didnt think of it)

9. gonejunking

gonejunking
    from NW USA

I'll look to find my pictures, will have to scan them. It's pretty easy to fab up.

My avatar is a design study for Tucker sports car. 1948