Register now to get rid of these ads!

Australian Members - sprint cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steve hackel, Mar 23, 2011.

1. steve hackel

steve hackel

Hello to all of you from down under - I have heard that there are a lot of sprint car guys in your country, and that someone had built a new cross flow head for the older Chevy II 4 cylinder engines??? Have any of you seen one or know of someone that builds them?? Do you have a web address that I might use to contact them. Thanks for your help, Steve Hackel ;)

2. I am a bit confused by your query.

Any speedway car down here in Oz running a Chevy II engine would be a midget or speedcar as they are called down here. Some early form of political correctness. The Chevy II certainly ran here in Oz in speedcars.

Sprint cars since the early seventies in Oz are V8 powered. These superceded the old Super Modifieds of the sixties . They were mostly V8 powered but some were 6 cylinder powered. I don't believe Chevy II's were ever used in sprint cars.

The only crossflow 4 cylinder Chevs that I know of were the Sesco Chevs which was basically a Chev V8 with one bank of cylinders lopped off. Taking your basic 302 Chev with the 4" bore and 3" stroke you wind up with a nice 151 ci engine with 8 port crossflow head and big valves.

3. Mercruiser made one. There is a great threat here about them.

4. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

You can change some bolt holes and use a SB Chev head

5. in_circles

in_circles
    from Denver, CO

Check out http://www.fontana-automotive.com/. They're the biggest builder of chevy II based midget engines. We had a Fontana a few years ago that was the second from newest generation motor. It was 174 ci and made about 350 hp.

6. in_circles

in_circles
    from Denver, CO

Oops. If you're looking for a cross flow head Fontana's not for you, but they do make some great flowing reverse flow heads. Arias made them before Fontana but it's also not a cross flow.

7. Retroline

Retroline

Not sure if you are talking about the Duggan head, not crossflow though.

8. AFL

AFL
    from Melbourne

Duggan was only a 6 cyl head for the "Red 202" from memory.

A