Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone deal with The Hot Rod Company ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RobsHemiA, Jan 12, 2011.

1. 5window

5window

Sure, I Don't know if they're vendors, but to start with-Mac's,Yogi's, Sachse Rod Shop, Sullivan's Garage,Bratton's,Gary's Upholstery and,you can laugh if you want to, but Speedway.

I'm sure the list is longer. All of these folks answer their phones and mail, ship promptly, have good communication skills and seem interested in their customers. None are perfect, your experience may vary.

As I previously stated, I have no experience with the HotRod Company. I can say that I would not want to wait 10 days to get you to send me an email on shipping costs after you promised to send it to me .

2. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

When I order, i get my items in a week..
    Duane.

3. Von Brandt

Von Brandt

All good, no problem!

4. Fenders

Fenders

Lots of anecdotal evidence here as to whether or not the HRCo does or does not provide good customer service....
    I have never dealt with them but it sounds like they have good products but don't like to answer their phone or respond to emails about 50% of the time, and take their time to ship....

OTOH speedway and jegs always answer their phone or email and ship the next day...
    If the HRCo is not competing with speedway or jegs I guess they can do as they do... but if they are, sounds like they should get their act together...

It's nice to support an alliance vendor but if you need the part in a few days who do you call...?

5. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

THANK YOU. my point exactly.:eek:

6. flthd31

flthd31

They have owed me money for a returned item for some time. FedEx confirmed the delivery. They don't answer the phone, return calls or email. Too bad...they have a lot of unique items but I won't trust them again, They've lost my business.

7. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

it's been said before, but really a big problem is with online ordering is most shopping cart programs don't check stock or many companies will take payments on items they don't even have in stock and may not be able to even get for awhile from their distributors.

best way to avoid this is call ahead and make sure they have the part

bummer is we see alot of these threads, and all of them could be avoided with better communication. some of these responses are just plain silly, it shouldn't take 10 days to return a call, that's just bad business.

8. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

just ordered again from them...they wouldn't pick up the phone..but after ordering online I got my shit in 3 days. I tried calling before I placed the online order because I wanted to confirm that they had the stuff I wanted in stock. I took a chance and went ahead and placed the order after having no luck getting in touch with them. Luckily, the stuff was in stock and I got it right away in the mail

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  9. hemifarris

hemifarris

I agree. All it takes is communication. Once you lose your credibility, your pretty much screwed........just my opinion.

10. U-235

U-235

In February I called them 3 diferent times (about a week apart) about buying a gas tank.....they NEVER even returned my calls....seems like a hell of a way to run a business...I guess they didn't need mine....I am bumed because they had what I wanted....from what I read on here and my own experience, I guess i'll buy from someone else....maybe their alliance membership should be looked into...?

11. Just an observation but:
    It seems "most" of the negatives about this company are coming from those with less than 100 posts. Coincidence? Dunno

12. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

What the hell has the amount of posts got to do with it.

Update, due to the power of the HAMB, someone told Mike I wanted to cancel my order. Apparently he was at at a show in Indy and that is why he did not respond to me. So I guess if you dont mind waiting for 3 or 4 weeks for your parts with out communication Mike is your man . Sorry but I cancelled my order. Larry

13. crashbox

crashbox

I bought my model T style gas tank from them, ordered it on a Monday, delivered on Thursday (Wis. to NorCal). I'm a happy customer.

14. So if a FNG walks into a garage full of guys on shop night and starts bad mouthing a service provider or vendor many have used for years, how much credibility am I supposed to give the new guy?

Based on what?

Do I give the FNG the benefit of the doubt or the vendor I have spent money with?

15. von birch

von birch

man the HAMB is a great tool for everyone to use, posts aren't some status symbol...at the end of the day, its a hot rod forum, meant for everybody to collaborate, not to down those with less posts and those who haven't been members for as long as others...the guys asking a question about a vendor he's not particularly happy with, maybe there are better ways, but it's not like he's downing your best friend or a buddy from your club...just my 2 cents, that's pretty much all i have to my name

16. George/Maine

George/Maine

If any of these 10%ers have parts coming out of Japan ya may have a long wait.

17. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

WELL SAID!!!
    Mike is a great guy - and he has always been cool to me - and I meet a LOT of people - he is top shelf baby.

All you people that dont wanna do business with him....I am sure you will be able to find the same top quality parts at your local Auto Zone.........
    yeah right......

18. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

how about if it happens twice a month? there are a couple alliance vendors that have complaints posted fairly regularly, great guys I am sure, but what does that have to do with providing great service

it's not a bad thing to let members know that if they want to deal with these "great guys", expect to pay up front, wait an undetermined amount of time, and don't expect any response from them but eventually the parts will come and they will be good or maybe they will ship right away

19. If its a choice between an errant post or my transactions with the vendor and the money I've spent.... no real choice

Money talks, BS walks

Twice a month, sure call them out.

I need patch panels for my dads truck, will I use Howells.... hmmmm

20. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

call ahead.........

21. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

This is just an observation but when I see the threads I click into them and to see the rub as one day I may find myself with a little more disposable income that I can spend on something other than a restaurant meal.

The gripe I always hear/see with HRCo. is the shipping. This makes me think...well maybe they don't do business in close proximity to a PO. You can't just hand the package to the postman anymore because they want you to go online and give them recognition for their service of taking the package for you...which is bogus, they were eventually gonna end up back at the PO anyway so why not do part of your job besides if I had the time to praise you online I would have the time to drop off the package myself!! Anyway just a thought I had.

What gets me is, protocol calls for contacting Ryan if someone finds trouble with an Alliance Vendor. Is this step almost always skipped? If there is at least one person that can get something done, it's Ryan...not a message board of people choosing a side of the fence.

22. 1Cheesecake

1Cheesecake
    from Houston

I placed an order with The Hot Rod Company last week and received it yesterday...they even credited my PayPal account the difference in shipping...

When you are a distributor for parts that are manufactured by someone else unfortunately you are at their mercy...this includes delivery & technical questions

As far as answering e-mails / calls this should be done in a timely manner...just common courtesy...

CC

23. My point too.

24. Everything I've ordered has been shipped quick with no problems.

25. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

High quality, Low prices, Fast service. (Choose Two)

26. Austin Speed Shop

Austin Speed Shop
    from Austin TX

Second order placed, shipped fast AND emailed about a back ordered item.. HRC is ACES as far as I am concerned...

27. I have never had a problem with HRC either but from the number of posts that keep poping up there are definitley some issues.

I am willing to bet it is a combination of Mike sometimes not responding in a timely manner but I would also bet that some of that is a result of guys who have no patience and expect everything right now not getting an immediate answer so they start emailing and calling every day which probably just backlogs things further.

I would order from him again in a heartbeat.

28. Austin Speed Shop

Austin Speed Shop
    from Austin TX

The HOT ROD company comes through in the pinch again!!!
    THANKS Mike!!
    great stuff ,

29. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I've made many orders with HRC. Always had a very good experience. The hamb alliance discount is great too.

30. 5window

5window

Seems to be a rash of Newbies dragging up months to year-ld threads. Don't y'all have anything new to say?