Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Toymaker's Twin Engine Dragster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toymaker, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Checked it out this morning in the grove. Looks outstanding. Proud of you Rock!!!

2. Troyz

Troyz

saw it today as well, i love a project that stirs the imagination. I grabbed a couple of extra flyers and gave them to friends in my area.

3. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks Carl, your has been instrumental in a Fire-Up soon!
    My next goal is to finish the intakes and fire it up again with the Strombergs, Video included:D
    Thanks for the Thumbs Up, I'm sick about the Aristocraft as the wind blew the windshield off and busted it:( Makes me wanna sell it!
    Thanks Dean, hope you make the 1st performance at Eagle Field May 21st
    Thanks, we had a good amount of interest and some who couldn't understand why:D Hope you guys make the trip north!
    Deniss Friend who has the Two Too Go website dedicated to Twin Engine Dragsters has posted a page of my car at
    http://twotogo.homestead.com/rockystwin.html
    (for some reason you may have to try twice to get the site to appear:confused:)
    The website has helped me answer many of my questions over the last couple of years, check it out!
    [​IMG]

4. Let me know when you plan to fire er up, maybe I can be there. Need to get out and get away from this one handed hell.................. sounds like the weekend went well, and to those who ask why, guess they wouldn't understand a flat powered FED either. There is no why....... just do, because you can or always wanted to........................

5. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Learned a long time ago..."the people who ask why" don't have a clue and all of the explanation in the world will never help. If you don't understand this kind of stuff, you are incapable of having a dream. True hotrodders don't wonder if it can be built or why it should be built...they build it because the believe in the idea.

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Tom;you,Carl,Tim,Rocky and so many others FULLY understand the true meaning of Hot Rodding!! Rocky,I saw the dragster but not you,wild weekend[weather wise]!! ROY.

7. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I've got a couple pics of a flathead powered dragster, much like yours but with full body, some guys local to me are currently running.
    I replied to your post on the FED social group, but could not post the pics.
    If you are interested, let me know how and where I can post them.
    Tom S. in Tn.

8. Conniptor

Conniptor
    from New Jersey

This is my FAVORITE thread here, can't wait to see/hear video of it running! Side-by-side twins are coooollll... :cool:

9. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

That's turning out real nice!

10. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Hey Rocky...here's one more for your files...:p

[​IMG]

12. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

13. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Kinda got stalled after the March Meet, even robbed some parts from the Twin but were getting back on track. I had to remove the small chamber heads off one of the engines for our other Digger so I drug some "461's" out from under the bench, cleaned them up and cut the guides down for Positive seals. I found I'm going to have to make an oil return line off the heads to help get the oil out of the valve covers and the positive seals will help with oil control or lack of:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With Eagle Field closing in I've had to change my goals to have the car running with the Strombergs so my first step is to finish the intakes. With the runners, mounting and logs all attached I cut out the valley cover out of 10g metal and tach'd it to the intakes while they were bolted to a mock up engine using gaskets. Next I'll quickly braze the seam to seal it up, then work on the distributor mounting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With our HAMB Dragster in the hands of my Good Friend Joe Roseberry and needing it's front wheels and tires we bought a set of 17" for our Logghe Car and I put the 18" on the Twin. I think they represent the era perfectly.
    [​IMG]
    Plans are to get it running real soon and post some YouTube videos! Rocky

14. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Awesome. Can't wait for the videos. :D

15. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

It's going to be interesting to see this car launch the first time.
    I still have a hard time believing I'm seeing this one.
    Tom S. in Tn.

16. pcterm2

pcterm2

can't wait for the vids

17. good plan Roc, keep it up..............

18. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Wish I could be there for the first launch!

I'll have to settle for the youtube vids, so I'm waiting anxiously!

19. Hey Roc,
    Is that go-cart project on the cherry picker to compete in a not-yet-announced go-cart class or is it the tow vehicle for the twin?

20. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

HaHaHa, no that's a 30 yr old project that I started for my son and just now have it running for my Grandson:D
    Almost got the intakes done last night, would have photos but forgot to have the memory card installed:eek: I'll get some more shots today.

21. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Kerry started a Nitro 97 thread a while back and and also brought it up on a board I'm fortunate to enough to be a member. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576730
    I cut and pasted the responses posted on the board and will consider the modification if the Twin is Lazy and won't "Get out of Bed":D
    Here's what I got................
    Kerry starts his thread with..............
    I was going some old goodies I had picked up when I came upon this I'd completely forgotten about it.
    I bought it from an older gentleman who used to run a speed shop out]of the basement of his appliance shop. He still has some car parts but nearly all the speed parts are gone. Mixed with it all is a wall of old drag racing trophies. He used to be a Chassis Research dealer and has a rear engine Chassis research car. Or I should say his grandson has one now.

While looking around I found a stack of eight of these boxes. He was kind enough to sell me one for cheap but I'd like to go back and buy the rest. I love the Eelco label
    Responses............
    The Bandits told me all that & more , like drill out the discharge tubes & press in 1/4 in. brake tubeto replace them, and bein the the good guys they were it was free advice . like " kid , I will show you once & you can do it" "Dont Never let it run lean "
    In 1959 I ran my unblown fuel dragster with eight 97's on a log manifold on 75%, Three jugs of nitro and one jug of alcohol. Bought the carberators from Gilmore in Denton, Tx. He had built them and ran them on a fuel roadster at Caddo Mills for several years. No jets and the dump tubes were .180. You just had to jazz it and keep it cleaned out stagging, pump it up good at the line and maybe hit it a lick or two down the course. Those days were always intersting.
    Interesting. We did the same thing with this 348 Chevy only we were running 90%. No jets, no drag chute. Set the track record and went off the end of the track into a corn field. Julesburg, CO.
    I still have the specs. to convert 97s to nitro. My specs. have floats with most of the passages drill out about twice there normal size. the delivery tubes normally had an .080 bore and they are relpaced with 1/4" OD brake tubing.
    Garlits told me he used to over pressure to tank to about 10 psi when on the line . This would force the needles off their seats and flood the carbs and about 1/2 track the carbs would delivery enough fuel to lower the tank preesure down to about 5 psi and kind of gave a high speed lean out effect.
    The 97's that we ran on our unblown fuel dragster ( eight of them ) in 1959 had needle and floats . Did not have any type fuel return . They sometimes flooded and caused the engine to load up if the driver failed to keep it cleaned out on the starting line. The tank worked best with 6 or 7 lbs of pressure with the hand pump.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  22. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

23. Hey Rock, here's a little more inspiration. Not side by side, but it is a twin, and it is a roadster!

[​IMG]

24. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks Dean.
    After a long weekend of "Match Porting" steel runners, shaping the ends, and fabbing distributor mounting the intakes are done!!!!
    A big Thanks to Carl who helped out on this project making the task easier. I took alot of photos but I can't believe I forgot the memory card:( These suckers were alot of work and I'm glad they are where they belong! Rocky
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  25. bubba22349

bubba22349

You do nice work

26. Amen to the nice work...

27. Roc, Man do they look better finished, great job man........
    Can't wait to see this in person, less than a month away!!! GO EAGLE...........

28. jfg455

jfg455
    from NH

I like it! subscribed. :D

29. Lets see, Nitro if its lazy. You one crazy dude Roc.....................