Register now to get rid of these ads!

Have ever done anything dumb while showing off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smittystoys, Jan 31, 2011.

1. ironpile

ironpile

And your still ambulatory,let alone alive?

2. ironpile

ironpile

I can`t make anything out what happened?:confused:

3. Ahhhh... To be young... '72.. Los Angeles.. Came off a side street onto a main street a little hot in my '62 corvair. Right rear wheel tucked under and I slid into the curb causing my lil 'vair to flip onto it's side on the front steps of L.A.P.D's Northeast division. They didn't have to go very far to write that ticket.

1974. 2lane road in Glendale Ca. I am driving my '70 Roadrunner. There is a V.W. bus in front of me going about 10 m.p.h. Thought I would impress my girlfriend with my smoooooth moves, I pulled out from behind the V.W. and yanked it into 1st. side stepped the clutch at about 3 grand smoking the dog shit out of the bias tires past the V.W........ And the motorcycle cop she was following...

4. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I've got a few but nothing toooo crazy.

bout ten years ago I was driving into work in my first new car, a little hyundai tiburon shitbox. I was running just a little late and was on the verge of making up the time with my drive in. I worked in a machine shop that had just built a brand new building with nice grass and landscaped trees around the parking lot. thought I was mario andretti pulling into the parking lot. I had learned this new trick called trail breaking that really planted the front end of that little FWD pos as I cornered. Unfortunately the parking lot entrance dropped off a bit from the road and while the front end planted the back end didn't, at all. back end came around and I counter steered holding it completely sideways. right across the lawn still sliding prolly 20mph and parked it perfectly between two of those nice new decorative trees. missed by inches! quick swivel of my head and didn't see anyone around, whew! sometimes it pays to be late cuz my ole man worked at the same shop. go and park it and start to walk towards the building when I see the human resources director standing at the door smoking a butt laughing at me.........

back around 2000 I had been racing at whip city speedway for 5 years. decided that on year #6 I was going to go touring for a change. had a good time but it was expensive so back to whip city I went. Picked up a car that had done very well in the past there and stuck my old engine in it. basically it was the best chassis combined with the best engine. turned out to be a bad idea. after 7 races I got railroaded out of there and called a cheater without so much as an inspection. came back the next year with the same chassis and a smaller engine to race in a lower class just for fun. took it out for my first practice with the bigger class. As a little F-U I find the car is still quite a bit quicker than theirs and instead of feeling my car out for PRACTICE I start racing. the car is flying through the turns. I'm pulling probably 10mph faster through the corner than they are. I come in high carrying uber light speed dive for the bottom to miss some traffic when one of said traffic spins towards the infield. he's stopped I'm going uber light speed. First time out with the car I trash the front end. And I knew better.

5. Lucky3

Lucky3

No !! Never !!
    Well.....nothing that ever required a life flight helicopter......

:D:D:D

6. smittystoys

smittystoys

I need to tell a couple more, ........A good friend of mine had 2 cars a a local rod run we use to have here in town ,he was ready to go home and needed someone to drive his t bucket and follow him to his shop so he could drop one of them off , he ask me ,i said sure ,(never had driven this car before )IT didnt do like a normal car and kind of go back to center on its own . I turned goosed it hit the curb ran up in the park and then right back out in the street without missing a beat i looked at every one like yah i ment to do that . they were al laughing ther butts off ...# .... years back we use to go to a place out west of town where every one use to race it was about 9 miles west of town so every one called it 9 mile there was proubably about 15 to 20 pretty good running cars and no telling how many people... every one was lined up and down the sholder of the road i had a 57 nomad 283 muncie 4 speed 4 11 p, trac , i thougt heck i show em how she runs .I revved her up to about 5000 and dumped the clutch ....boom ...(works a lot better if you release the emergency brake) needless to say i had to tow it home and put a new clutch in it the next day..

7. Toner283

Toner283

Click on the pictures & they will enlarge.

8. FANTM58

FANTM58

The first thing I remeber is when me and my buddy were in my 68 drop top GTO, primered grey,Anyway we passed a Mc d`s and decided to get some fries, rolled into the turn lane for a U turn, Turn light goes green my foot goes to far and I end up doing a 360 ,heading the wrong way in on coming traffic !! woops.
    Second item I was cruising by my buddys house, seen he was outside and decides to pull over and BS,after a bit I thoight I would treat them to a burnout,,,,,Well I had forgot that while pulling over to chat I backed up get close to the curb,,And you guessed it rappid reversehitting the small pu behind me knocking it out of gear and rolling down the street !!!
    This was in my 70 Chev pu.

9. scr8p

scr8p

during my teenage years, my dad "lovingly" (read that with alot of sarcasm ;)) gave me the title Capt. Car Killer. there wasn't a drivetrain out there that was safe when i was the mood to play. :D

10. wood470

wood470

One Saturday nite my buddies all volunteered me to show a friend how to power shift his new Mustang. I was so concerned about making the shifts I didn t relize it was in reverse and went backwards really fast. Just lucky nobody was behind it.

11. shadams

shadams

Mid-nineties, Jr year of highschool I had a 87 Honda CRX. There was a long straight country road just down from school that had a wicked rise in it about 3/4 of the way down. If you went to the end of the road and got up enough speed you could catch o few inches of air. We went everyday damn near. Fast forward about 3 yrs, out of highschool and dating the girl I married and I was driving my moms 91 civic hatchback. A friend was with us and we were bored, and I remembered the road.

Apparently the newer civic was much faster because we probably caught 4 feet of air and flew for a good 30 yards before landing at about a 45 degree angle. Screaming the whole time mind you. It ripped the front spoiler and splashshields off and bent the hell out of the tow hooks. I took people by the road and showed them the gouges for months afterwards. Its funny now, but I could have killed us all. Just recently told my mom about that one.

Another incident, had a Mazda truck that we wedged a 302 in and had a B/M starshifter. The truck was geared really low so after romping on it I would throw it into neutral to bring the rpms down. One Sunday night at the local cruise strip at "the light" a early 70's chevy with a rumpty rump cam pulls up and we do the eye thing. Light turns green and hammers down, and I blew his doors off. The light was about a 1/4 down from where everyone stands and watches, so I come by hauling ass and throw it right into reverse. I forgot to tell you I had two buddys with me crammed in the front bucket seats, with one sitting on the space in between the seats, and when the rear tires locked it sent us every which way there was to go, but somehow I saved it. Again, we screamed the whole time while going from left to right and back again in all three lanes while there were cars all around us ( all racing there own races, btw) I got pats on the back and thumbs up for the rest of the night from everyone around, but had to play off the pile of doo-doo in my pants the whole time.

12. old bone

old bone
    from maine

brake stand in private parking lot behind the bar i was just at..i thought i was was smarter than the cops..had just called a cab for a ride home...lost lic.....never drink and drive again!!...funny thing is the truck never moved an inch...but the smoke was everywhere ..apparently even clouded my mind thinking someone would actually be impressed ...

13. old bone

old bone
    from maine

is that you?...i love the people cheering for you once they realized you were alright...thats my new favorite u tube burn out video

14. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Im sure a couple of people have done this...Anyways when i was 17 i had a 63 Tbird and i cruised by the movie theatres on a friday night since i knew there would be alot of chicks around and when i was in front of the theatre i started playing with my flamethrowers not realizing a cop was right behind me then before i know it i see the blue and red flashin lights pulling me over haha

15. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Some good stories here, and some BS I think. I can't top any of them.

I was 19 years old in 1975. Had a 72 F100, 240, 3 on the tree. Pulled it and put in a 302 from a wrecked 69 Mustang. Done this in the driveway.

Got it all together and put the 240 in the bed of the truck with out a tailgate. (Junkyard wanted the 240 in trade for the 302) Backed out into the street, put it 1st and stood on it.

You know what happened.

16. I had a 66 mustang vert as one of my first cars. I "had to have it" bought it off a local car lot on hwy 99 (Aurora) in North Seattle. Ran like crap, mismatched parts, toploader 4spd, 302, 351w heads, stupid lumpy cam, wrong medium rise intake, over carbed, skyjacker air shocks, worn out locker rearend, etc.. didn't know any better and didn't care.

Doing a burnout in between curb cuts at Golden Gardens park - heal planted on the brake pedal, ease through 1st gear, fast pull into 2nd, throw to 3rd (which was always tough for me). I am impressed with myself, 3500 - 4000k by this time and the Gillette 70's on the back have no hope of grabbing, I feather the throttle trying to walk it out of the parking spot, "something" happens sending me into a 180 to the left, over the parking blocks, sideswipe a sign and break the pinion in the rear end.

I had owned the car for 3 weeks, it was brought home on a hook the 1st of many times. My dad asked what the hell happened, to which I responded "I have no idea dad"

17. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

Leaving school lot in my 71 F-100 beater. I had a 55 gal drum wedged in the bed full of water for weight so I could get better traction in the snow. Decided to pull a holeshot to impress the chicks....Barrel breaks loose, blows out the tailgate and proceeds to follow me down the street in the middle of the road. Decisions, decisions keep going or stop so the barrel doesn't kill someone. I stopped barrel hits truck, goes right underneath lifting the backwheels off the ground. YES it really sucked, luckly my buddies helped pick up the back enough to get squared away. Common denominator ....GIRLS and STUPIDITY!!!!!

18. millersgarage

millersgarage

wasn't me, but...

I was working at a Chevy Dealer Body Shop and an S-Blazer came in rolled. The tow bill said it came from the Mall.

I asked the tow truck driver how someone could roll a vehicle at the mall?

He answered that the driver was waiting at the mail entrance to the mall for his wife. When he saw her come out, he thought he'd be cool and pull a "Jimmy Rockford" reverse spin and pick her up.

Didn't work out so well for him, and she was not impressed :rolleyes:

19. Executed a beautiful 2-3 powershift while riding a recently acquired '69 Honda CB-350. Tagged with the plates from my '67 BSA. The same ones the insurance had expired on about three months before. In traffic. While racing a Kawasaki 350. This was in 1970 BTW.

All the motorists were impressed I think. At least two gentlemen were VERY impressed.
    Blue '70 Plymouth Fury I, with Michigan State Police on the door. I really don't know what happened to the Kawasaki, I let him be the sacrificial lamb so to speak.

Statute of limitations is up, isn't it?

20. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

One summer during my high school years, I was driving my mom's ford galaxie with a 390 around and decided to tromp on it from a red light. So, I'm getting ready...the light turns green and I plowed on the gas, nearly putting the pedal through the floor in the process. I burn rubber through the intersection and past a block or so only to discover after passing the 80 MPH mark on a city street, that the throttle was stuck wide open. I'm thinking HOLY CHIT! now what? Now I'm hitting 90 and still can't get the throttle un-stuck. My last ditch effort was to turn the ignition off. Of course now I have to fight with the car to control it since the power steering and power brakes now longer have any power...The car sputtered to a halt and I'm almost in need of a chothing change...if you get my drift...

Needless to say I didn't tell my dad everything that happened..I just told him that the throttle stuck while I was driving it. Its a good thing the speedo didn't stick on the right side peg ;)

21. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

I know exactly what you mean! giving a friend who builds pro mod chassis a ride in my coupe I burned the slicks off sideways through 3rd watching the tach, shifting it at 6500! Shut it down just in time to see the cop car pulling outta my tire smoke to pull me over! Got a good cussing at was honest with the cop and got my verbal warning that he'd hang my ass if I ever did it again!:eek: Lets just say I've been good in that municipality since then!
    Theres a shit load more too man this thread let me realize who f'in dumb I am!

22. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

All these are great! My loving parents went on vacation. So I could use thier 76 Caddy. Went to our local Del Taco hangout....lit'em up in the parking lot......died right there. My friends weren't so inpressed when we pushed it outa the way.

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Okay, I'm already in for two on this thread - we might as well uncover the tip of the ice burg... Not too impressive without the link, but there is a video floating about here on the H.A.M.B. of myself and my long abused (and loved!) avatar Plymouth leaving a diner here in Phoenix in a rather spectacular fashion... I.E. absolutely sideways taking up about three lanes of a main road downtown. Great 45 second clip, and I will find it for you guys if I can later.But absolutely bitchin' when you figure in the motorcycle cop that watched me perform these shinanigans from the stoplight a block away! or how about this... Leaving an aquaintance's chopper shop on 7th street here in town a couple of Sundays ago with the intention of doing basically the same thing - then hitting a rather large patch of very slick collision droppings in the street! My simple under power right turn became a quick 360, or thereabouts... No traffic Sundays are great for playing!

24. TommyShameless

TommyShameless
    from Florida

Something really sad happened here just last week...car show here in town. Someone in a Cobra was pulling out of the show, apparently was showing off, and gunned it. He ended up wrapped around a utility pole. The driver survived, but had to wait in the car until they killed the power to that pole. Unfortunately, the spectator that was on a bicycle was not so lucky. He ended up mostly under the car. He was still alive, but not for very long, and another spectator was holding his hand. Really sad situation that I had to out in the newspaper.

Of course, I've already heard a few idiots complaining about people with "dangerous old cars".

So sad.

25. ErikHardy

ErikHardy

When I was 8 my brother had to move his truck for one reason or another. I told him I would give it a shot, all I had to do was back it out of the driveway no biggie. Start up the truck, put it in gear, turn around to look behind me and mashed on the gas. I was thrown into the seat going forward and smashed into my kawasaki dirtbike that was leaning against the garage. I guess I was so disrupt of what happened that I didn't bother taking my foot off the gas. The tires kept howling as the handlebars went through the grill of the truck and the garage door. All I could think of was my brother was going to beat me into next week, I looked over and he was laughing his ass off. We quickly beat out the dent in the garage door before mom came home.

26. broskinny

broskinny

I was having a rough day at work and decided to go for a drive (73 MGB with a 4.3 v6/T56 trans) to blow off some steam.
    I was on a very busy 4 lane divided road, just clearing my mind while sitting at the red traffic light. So out of the corner of my eye I see this mustang pull up along side doing the waiting for the green 'creeping' forward.
    Well, I wasn't going to let him have the jump on me, soooooo green light, I nail it and just got it 1st through 4th, lighting the poor skinny dryrotted tires up all the way...then stopped and waited for the next red light quite pleased with my recent performance.
    A few moments later the mustang quietly rolls up in the lane next to me and I hear, "Do you want to try that again?"
    I'm thinking, "Yeah!"...
    I look over and see the officer sitting there in uniform with a not so happy look on his face, it was an unmarked LX 5.0...
    I quickly replied, "No thank you, I don't want to do that again" and then slowly drove off and turned right back around to go back to work.
    My day got much better after that, he kept going straight!

27. anthonyg

anthonyg
    from arizona

wow...im glad im not a show off

28. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

i hit a parked car once while trying to ride my bike with no hands.

29. TwinTownTerror

TwinTownTerror
    from Minnesota

Yes I have! Done some dumb stuff when not showing off too!