Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod terms that are no longer in common usage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adjustablejohnsons, Feb 15, 2011.

1. chip chipman

chip chipman

Gimme two dollars and don't forget the STAMPS.

2. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

OK i'll jump in. Brody, or is it Brodie, Peel Out, Super La Gerra, Bitchin, or Gintchy, or is that Ginchie, (think '77 Sunset Strip), all of which I still use. Or "Triple throw down" (may be only So-Cal).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  3. encswsm

encswsm

How about Binders for brakes... Thats what my Grandfather would say.. He had to "Get on the Binders" to stop his old car

4. terryr

terryr
    from earth

"Shoeboxes" used to be 1955-57 Chevys. My 55 was called that. I see on this site they're now 1949-51 Fords.

I just did a goggle for 'shoebox car' and they have it both ways.

5. k9racer

k9racer

when the ford mustang came out in mid 64 a lot of folks called them "mules".. The mustang motor cycle/scotter/bike was also called the same thing.

6. nexxussian

nexxussian

Tripple throw down?

Dang, that's gotta be one better than the Doubles I remember. :D

7. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

One of the local "hotshoes" had a particularly badass '57 Chevy with a 327 and a 4 speed with a "posi" rearend back in the 60's. One night he was showing off at a local drive-in (burger joint, not theater.) He was cruisin through the parking lot, and stopped and revved up his engine until the clutch "grenaded." A friend of mine that was "riding shotgun" got "fragged"(from the Viet-Nam experience.) A piece of pressure plate, bell housing, or something just missed his eye and cut from his eyebrow up to his hairline. There was a corresponding hole in the asphalt under the car. At the time "scattershields" were only seen on full out drag cars.
    "Mickey Mouse goodies" were the inexpensive and commonplace accessories that were sold at a typical booth set up inside an Autorama car show or local Lucky Auto or Western Auto parts store.
    BTW...,I finally got a minimum wage part time job at a local hardware chain store after being out of work for 2 years, and Blackie Gejeian came in the store to buy a ladder the other day. I was trying to do the carry out for him because I wanted to say hi, and he doesn't get around too well these days, but I had to help someone else. I hope that there is a next time!

8. nexxussian

nexxussian

46', glad to hear you're working, sorry to hear about how long you were out.

Definitely hope there is a second time on that one for you, as I didn't know he was still around.

9. k9racer

k9racer

Pinstripe decals or some times called waterslide they had very good lines and were from JC Whitney.. Western auto also sold some but not as good.. these came with many designs wou just cut them out and hung them.. one more give me 2 penneys so I can block off the exhalst cross over in a flathead ford..

10. encswsm

encswsm

Cool story!!

11. Real education circa 1952, just remember I am a 25 year old trying to understand the past for the future.-Weeks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Weeks, thanks for that post. I enjoyed it. What rag was that out of?

13. Splinter

Splinter

When I was younger, always heard the term "Souped Up", meaning an engine set up to run on race gas, or "soup". Still use it, and get a lot of raised eyebrows. Also, revving out an engine close to redline was "wrapping up that engine tighter than a cat's ass...."

14. LabRat

LabRat

Squirrel's piss - WD40 , CRC or anything that helps loosen rusted bolts ...

15. rusty bill

rusty bill

Anyone ever have and "X" Shift transmision? Not the shift pattern but the case!

16. k9racer

k9racer

babbit connecting rods..

17. revjimk

revjimk
    from Denver

Haven't had time to read the whole thread, but how about "kemp"? I always used to see it in California magazines (I'm 60) but never heard it on the East Coast at all.
    By the way, I'm 100% in favor of "Engine". A "motor" converts energy into motion. An "Engine" coverts fuel to motion.
    unless we're talking Prius (highly doubtful, right?) its "engine"!

18. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Juice brakes, For hydralic brake. " lets drag in out" start of the term drag racing.

19. 62nova

62nova

20. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Hasn't the engine vs. motor deal been covered enough?:rolleyes:

21. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

In the 50's we would go from Merced to Fresno to hang out at Stans drive in, even with gas in the 20's we would go into mexican over drive to save gas. neutral and coast for a while. worked out great

22. k9racer

k9racer

Double clutch..A way of shifting gears for the sound of mufflers or if you had a thans with no sincros or bad ones. Also used to go into low gear while still moving. And Tipping the can meaning adding a fuel additive like Nitro or Proplene oxide.

23. nexxussian

nexxussian

Weeks that is cool, what is that from?

24. This thread sure is swell.

25. Mash the foot feet.

26. 3/8 x 3/8 flathead. Pete.

27. fergus

fergus
    from Nor Cal

Is it bad if I know most of this stuff even though I'm only in my 30s? I guess I hung around grandpa a lot... didn't know it till i was an adult, but he had a '40 ford sedan with mooneyes and and spots...and milled heads. He was always sayin "give it some more foot feed".

28. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Monkey motion, when over head valves and rocker arms first cam out.

29. nexxussian

nexxussian

No.

It shows a sophistication and intelligence beyond your years.

At least that's the story I'd stick too. :p

30. I am 25 so I must be really up shitcreek paddle.-Weeks