Register now to get rid of these ads!

flakin' a frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sk8ncruz, Feb 28, 2011.

1. sk8ncruz

sk8ncruz
    from pratt, ks

a friend of mine is getting ready to paint his frame and wants to flake it
    he's lookin for input on whats the best paint & process to use. he's been readin up on the different products out there but really wants to know what works best and the best way to do it from someone thats done it before. he wants a heavy flake but only wants to do it once, not a half/ass job then have to redo it to make it right. any input would be great. its a T frame so most of the frame will show. thanks

2. sk8ncruz

sk8ncruz
    from pratt, ks

btt, any one have any input????

3. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

i`m gonna try to help, but i think the problem is there are no definite ways to do it, there are a bunch of the right ways to do it, and alot of it depends on your location and what kind of product you can use and what equipment you have and how much experience you have, myself, a frame, shoot the base color, then mix the flake in the clear, spray it, then a couple of coats of clear over that, thats my way, not the way everyone would do it, but not a wrong way to do it either.....i have use all kinds of paints and flake, i like the custom shop stuff, price isn`t too bad, and so far, products are pretty good, but i`m not everyone.......hard to wrong with a name brand on the stuff too.....good luck

4. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

are you going to see the frame other than what you see in the engine bay?

5. sk8ncruz

sk8ncruz
    from pratt, ks

yes, he's using a austin body

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

A friend of mine made a rad post in his house and had it it powdercoated in red flake. Bulletproof and really not to expensive.

7. I have a powder coat shop and I've done some heavy flaked powder jobs, it would be more durable than paint. The only down fall on a frame would be if you have to touch it up for some reason you would be kinda screwed!

8. sk8ncruz

sk8ncruz
    from pratt, ks

btt again......

9. sk8ncruz

sk8ncruz
    from pratt, ks

over 500 views thought I would get more input...................

10. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

I'm in the process of getting my frame ready for paint as well. I will be using House of Kolor paints. They have a lot of choices as far as flake sizes and basecoats and such. The thing with flake is, you will need a larger nozzles size if you are going to use a large flake. Here is the link for TCPGlobal. http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflake.aspx

They carry all of HOK paint products and this link is specifically for their flakes. There is info for each flake size and what size nozzle needed for each size. Hope this helps.

11. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

I used HOK Black base and a ton of gold flake in the clear. Easy to touch up if it gets scratched and looks killer. I painted my motor the same way

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  12. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

depends on the color he wants ... this is what i would do , i have done i a ton and it works , but i am no professional painter just a garage jerk. if say he wants blue .

prep and prime get ready for paint as you normally would no less than 320 grit

shoot a silver metallic base and let it flash dry

use silver flake

load up the flake gun with a cup of mid clear, I like a 1.8 tip and or my hopper i drilled out from harbor freight.

I would use med flake to begin with and finish with micro mini cause it just dances.

start by putting a couple of ball bearings or clean nuts in the gun 2 of them this will help keep the gun from clogging.
    start pouring in the flake, i normally will enough in to wear when i stick a paint stick in there it gets pretty covered.

start hosing 6-10 inches from surface take your time!!!! watch your over lap
    do a coat at a time then let set . dont shoot your load all at once or the flake will start to sag!!!!!

the last few coats i use the micro mini it fills and really dances when it stands up

let it tack up and repeat till you have 100% coverage or your happy with it .
    the silver base kicks the flake into high gear.

finish with a couple coats of regular clear.

let it all dry like really dry set it in the sun to bake let stand for a week . really dry !!!

color sand at this point to get out all the junk and make smooth again

take back into your painting area and candy it with the color you like . finish with a few more coats of clear and your done . well after you cut and buff it .

its a process but it has worked for me . hope it helps , and like i said i aint no painter but i have flaked a few things in my time .