Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eastwood Mig/gas 220 welder model 175

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Im looking into buying my first welder. Im goimg to be doing patch panels,floor braces and floor pans. I was looking into a brand new lincoln or miller. My boss is selling his new eastwood welder for a very descent price. It has a cart,bottle,wire and a auto dimming mask. Has anyone used this welder?

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

the wire is always hot, if i'm not mistaken. would be fine for hobby stuff, but I have no experience with one personally. some say it is the same as a HF unit.

3. Im sorry...you might think im a moron but I dont know much when it comes to welding.

4. Igosplut

Igosplut

One thing you always want to remember no matter what mig you chose, get it with gas capability's. Flux wire welding sucks for the most part. I don't know anything about that welder, but you can be assured Eastwood didn't make it. I'm sure it's a decent unit as Eastwood generally sells good stuff. Try and find out who made it for them.

5. Yeah I have been trying to find out who made it but nobody seems to know anything

6. Ricci32

Ricci32

spend a few bucks more buy a lincoln or a miller i have a 220 htp good machine but always have to order parts. dont buy a machine from lowes or home depot not the same quality.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

most mig welders, the stinger is only "hot" when you hit the trigger. Harbor Freight and Eastwood use a cheaper circuit that is always hot when the machine is on. also the drive mechanism is not as smooth. but it can do light work with the gas attached.

and I am far from an expert myself. I have a flux hobart 125 and a lincoln stick for heavy stuff.

8. perk30

perk30

Don't buy a mig that is always hot. My first one was like that and when I got the Lincoln that I have now where the trigger has to be depressed before it's hot the ease and quality of my welding greatly improved. I'm no expert but it's a lot easier setting up the weld if the tip isn't hot until you pull the trigger.

9. Igosplut

Igosplut

Didn't know that. Not only trying to weld, but just setting it down like working inside of a car would be a pain in the ass.

10. So does anyone know for sure if this model is "hot" all the time?

11. gsport

gsport

my first question would be why is he selling it??? i'd save up some more and get a good name brand.
    i bought cheap the first time and hated it.... finally bought a miller 211, and couldn't be happier

12. mkrog1

mkrog1
    from Austin Mn

No it is not hot al the time.

13. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Lincoln is the brand for me,I know Miller also has a good reputation,the wire you run is also important,the easier weld to grind is with .030 # 130TF44 wire. the Industrial grade wire supplied with most new units makes for lotsa grinding to smooth your welds. if you want .023 wire the # is 130TF43 for the softer grade

14. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

I have the Eastwood 175 welder I found it to be a very good unit I haven't welded a whole lot with it but am very happy with it. The fact that spool gun was included made it an easy choice. I think Eastwood thinks things out very carefully before they bring a new product to market. Mine replaced a Century by Lincoln. Someone said it was always hot thats not so For the money compared very favorably to Hobart I love mine!

15. Does anyone know who makes the eastwood 175? My boss only used this welder a few times. Pretty much just learning how to weld on it. Would give me a killer deal on it.

16. Anyone know by chance?

17. I really dont want to re wire my grandfathers garage for 220. So my question is ,shouldnt I be able to get a good enough weld with a 110 welder?

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the deal is that good, I'd buy it and use it. If it works well and you like it, fine. If not, there's always CL.:)

19. I just dont want to settle for something that I will regret. Plus I cant rewire the garage im in. I will be welding floor pans,sheet metal,some frame work. So I need a good 110 welder thats not going to break my bank account.

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Check and see if it is or isnt a "Hot wire" Mig..if it is, they suck..you'll grow to hate it (trust me)
    I bought a Miller 180+..great machine for the money.
    I had a 110 "hot wire" gas or solid wire machine...hated it..for 2 reasons, Not enough heat for good work, or thick enough metal, and the Hot wire issue.
    My 2 cents..No 110 wire feed welder is good enough for any frame work i want to be riding on

21. revjimk

revjimk
    from Denver

I was a professional welder for many years,& as far as I know 110s are basically for sheet metal & light stuff... NEVER saw one in a steel shop. I would get a 220 for frame work.

22. musicrodder

musicrodder
    from Upstate NY

Years ago my Dad bought a Lincoln 220 mig welder, it was early on when the digital display first was introduced. Works good to this day, depending on the wire spool, it can weld sheet metal up to 1/4" plate, capable of nice welds once the settings are fine tuned.

23. I think I have to stay with 110. There must be a good enough 110 that can do frame work

24. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

I responded earlier that I had an Eastwood 175. I had a Century by Lincoln that was a 110 It was really pushing hard to weld 1/8 if you are gonna do frame work you are gonna want 220. Before I built my current garage I ran a 220 line from mamas Dryer outlet out to my old garage a pain but it worked. Trust the guys that tell you a 110 is for light duty work!

25. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

I've got a 110V Hobart wire machine I bought for portability on stuff 14 ga and lighter. Works fine for what I bought it for, but there's no way I'd do any structural welding with it, and that would include anything on the frame of a car.

26. Ok thanks fellas.