Register now to get rid of these ads!

Don Garlits video!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brian_03, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Brian_03

Brian_03
    from Largo, Fl

Here is a video I did on Don Garlits. All I really know to say, is that getting to meet him, sit and talk and even work on a motor with Don for a few hours, was one of the greatest experiences in my life so far. I hope you all like watching this as much as I enjoyed making it. Also if you guys want to see some really cool old race footage check out, www.nostalgiadrags.com the Jackson Bros. were nice enough to let me use some of their footage to make this video.

http://www.youtube.com/AmericanRodandCustom

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Great video, great man!! Thanks for posting.

3. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Thanks for that link ,very cool ,

I hadn't seen that one ..

Very interesting for sure......

Some great footage of some nice old cars......

4. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Great video, what a career. I remember watching that e town crash when I was a kid.

5. sp1ke

sp1ke

Great video.I can remember him when I was a kid running at my track in the 50's down her in Fort Myers,Fla. at the old Buckingham Airstrip where we would drag.

sp1ke

6. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

Thanx brian 03 that was cool.great job

7. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

the man is THE MAN!

8. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I went to his Museum back in the early 90's with my Dad. Slow day there and started walking around. Had my old Nikon with me. He walked out a side door and I could not believe my eyes. I asked if he could pose for a couple of shots. He said sure. Pointed the camera and the lens fell off. The mount broke. It landed on the floor and shattered. He went back in came out with a broom and swept up the mess. I felt like a total shithead . He made light of it and he said goodbye and that was it....

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Before my Inlaws passed away they lived in Florida. Every time we went to visit I stopped my Don's museum to see what was new. The first visit he had only one building and every subsequent stop we were met with more construction. If memory serves the last visit revealed 4 buildings and I understand it has expanded more since then.

Frank

10. pcterm2

pcterm2

if he tells you a rooster can pull a freight train ,all you gotta do is hook him up

11. belair

belair

Outstanding job, great to watch.

12. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

hung out with him at great meadows "ISLAND DRAGWAY" NJ last year........
    he's a really nice guy and talked to us for hours.....

13. Nice job Brian!

14. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

glad i watched it, thanks for posting.

15. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

Don has always been my favorit and a positive role model. Thanks for sharing.

16. Brian_03

Brian_03
    from Largo, Fl

I'm glad everyone is liking the video. It would be a huge help for me if everyone would send the link out to all there friends through email and what not.

I am also working on a few more videos that will be out soon.

17. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Excellent video, Truly a unique man!

18. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice. Loved it! Only wished it could be longer :)

19. Nitro crew chief

Nitro crew chief
    from Illinois

Very good video, I have talked with Don several times when we were racing our nostalgia funny car as he will often be at the event with one of the old cars. At one of the events, I think it was Kansas City, T.C. Lemons was with him, I have always thought a lot of T.C. I'm not too sure that anyone knew who he was, so I introduced myself and invited him to our pits. He came and hung around with us for quite a while and had some great stories, we have since become pretty good friends, I call him weekly to see how he is doing and he always has a new story for me.
    T.C. is in failing health, he has cancer and has lost most of his internal organs, but he still has the fire in his eyes. I stopped to visit him at his home in January and had a very nice visit, my wife got to meet him and we both think the world of him.
    Great video as I said, don and T.C. are both very down to earth guys and they love to talk about the days past.

20. You know, we have a full length movie about Bert Munro on his motorcycle. If there was EVER going to be a full length movie about a drag racer, is there anyone that could fill the bill better than Big Daddy?
    Yeah, maybe Mr. 15 time Funny Car Champ, but I am talking olden days, front engine slingshots, 40 Ford Tudors, you know, REAL drag racing....
    Outstanding video, sir, I think you could make a mint by lengthening the movie to about 2 hours or so...
    Hey, Muldowney got a movie, why not Big Daddy?

21. Brian_03

Brian_03
    from Largo, Fl

Yea, T.C. is a hoot, I got to talk to him a bit too at Don's shop. all their stories were pretty amazing. I'm sorry to hear about T.C's health, I did not know that.

22. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

Thanks for the memories, I've have been a fan of Don Gartlis since he ran carbs on his rail. Thanks again, great job.

23. Nitro crew chief

Nitro crew chief
    from Illinois

He is due to have a kidney removed soon, I talked to him before the Gator Nationals and the docs were wanting to remove it then, but he wanted to wait since he had several old friends coming. I tried calling yesterday and got no answer, so he may be having it done now, I'm not sure though. He needs our prayers and thoughts.

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

25. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Thanks for the post ! ENJOYED

26. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

i always enjoy your work brian!!! keep them coming

27. tunram2quad

tunram2quad

Interesting video.Thanks

28. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Nice video and clips. That is just a teaser though. Don has a video, more of an auto-biography. He and Pat in an interview setting tell of his racing career.

The most amazing clip which is also shown at the museum (of which they show the start in this video clip) is when he does the wheelstand up and over, disapears in the smoke, then the crowd hears the motor still running and Don drives back out of the smoke toward the starting line!!!! His books and videos are very entertaining.

29. thehazguy

thehazguy

Here's a couple of pictures I took back in 1971. Don was at Island for a match race (forget who he raced) At this year's 50th anniversary meet I showed these pic's to Don and he was amazed he ran at Island without a wing. I gave him an extra pic (side shot). He also autographed the pic's I had with me. Neat Stuff

Attached Files:

30. aircap

aircap

Superb interview!