Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moefuzz

moefuzz

Sheriff Jeff decides to checks in on the kids back at the sock hop,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. moefuzz

moefuzz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sheriff Jeff: *What* did you hit him with?
    Chase Winstead
    : My brand new, 100% completed hot rod.
    Sheriff Jeff
    : You'd have had to start in the next county to get up enough momentum to do that to him.
    Chase Winstead
    : Not with 4 quarts of nitro glycerin riding with me.
    Mr. Wheeler
    : You drove across that rough field carrying nitro?
    Chase Winstead
    : Yes sir!
    Sheriff Jeff
    : Do you realize what could have happened?
    Chase Winstead
    : It did. I lost my car!
    Sheriff Jeff
    : Don't worry about that, the railroad will be *glad* to buy you a new one.

[​IMG]

And everybody lived happily ever after
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  3. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Okay, I have got to see this masterpiece of a movie! :D

Whoops, sorry if they were already posted, it's so hard to look to see if everything has been posted or not due to the sheer size of this great thread.
    every time I look at this high rise photos I feel sick, and I'm not afraid of heights!

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Larry, I've told ya and TOLD ya to get off these cancer sticks.
    These f----rs'll kill you!!! You LIKE takin' chances or something? :eek:

[​IMG]

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by chryco [​IMG]
    bump

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thank you.... Captain Obvious

Thanks for the laugh, 1320/150! :D That's funnier than crap. Bump, indeed.

5. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

You think those guys are brave merely standing up there in #23796 ?
    Look to the left in the photo and see...bricks!
    Some poor guy laid those bricks-- in a straight line--that high up in the air.
    And some schlub passed the bricks to him as a helper.
    No thanks, I'll offer free advice from the ground.

6. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Grahame, THANKS for not only posting the link to the BEST article I've read on Tommy Ivo (#23,774), one of everybody's fave racers and personalities:cool:, his MONSTER as you called the 4-nailhead dragster:), BUT also very considerately remembering Byron Carter (#23,773) who was the FIRST to build a multi-engined car:eek:, as well as originating the CVT and making it practical and marketable. Ivo and Carter, two geniuses, IMO. :D

Ironically Carter's untimely and very tragic death prompted his friend Leyland (THAT Leyland) to help accelerate Kettering's work on the automatic starter. That not only prevented the kind of tragic accident the killed Carter (start-crank kickback :eek:) but help gasoline engines pull out ahead in the race with steam and electric cars for the auto market.

Back to the Ivo car: IF it cost $13,000 to build in 1961, what would it cost TODAY? :eek: (Assuming like availability of key components, of course.)

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->[​IMG]

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009...eum-gt-gt.aspx

(BTW, I'm thinking of going for the HAMB record on use of smilies and other emoticons! LOL)

8. Nooooo!!!!! :eek: :eek: I get dizzy on a stepladder!

Those guys must have some big gotchas, for sure. Either that or some darn good drugs!

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

You can say that again, Paul! Makes mountain-climbing seem like -- er, uh -- just a sport! LOL. Guess that's why insiders said that each floor of the Empire State cost an average of one life eh?

To look at the skyscapers, bridges, rr trestles, dams and other engineering and architectural wonders of this world is just mind-boggling!

10. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Isn't that PEDRO from Napoleon Dynamite?

[​IMG]

11. I always liked Hugh Marlowe, think he was underrated. He played in many sci-fi movies but I think one of his best roles was as MAJ Gates, and co-starring with Gregory Peck as GEN Savage in Twelve Oclock High - IMO one of the all-time best movies ever:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Earlier in this thread I posted photos of guys standing out on free-swinging beams suspended from crane cables. One photo had a guy sitting with others on a swinging beam while eating lumch with others and holding what appears to be a liquor bottle.
    Un-effen-believable.

Also, if you want to adjust "good old days" prices into inflation-adjusted present day dollars I posted a chart maybe 500 pages ago. I'll find it if anyone wants it.

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yes, I'd love to see that chart, if you could locate it, Paul. Also, nobody has mentioned the WIND up there on those girders, nor other inclement weather. Yet, amazingly, it only took about a year-and-a-half to build the Empire State, for one example. Men have lots of ways to show their bravery, even if it means ultimate sacrifice.

[​IMG]

The Battle of the Bulge. Some of the toughest winter fighting American military forces had been involved in since Valley Forge and the U.S. Civil War. Massacres of U.S. POWs by the SS led to a directive that no SS nor German paratroopers were to be spared. Some American GIs complied with such venom that the directive had to be toned down, so that there'd be some German POWs left to interrogate.

Malmedy Massacre, Belgium
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Darn right, RacerOn! And Dean Jagger was so good as the benevolently
    conniving clerk that HE won an Academy Award. What a great cast and
    classic film -- probably ONE of the first (after "All Quiet on the Western
    Front") to address in human terms the psychological impacts of combat.

[​IMG]

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Actual quote: "The tragic result of improperly supervised
    all night teenage partying!"

[​IMG]

'58 public-service ad

16. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

The Malmedy/St. Vieth massacre was a group of forward observers that had been captured by the Germans. My Father was a forward observer for the 7th Armored Division and had split from this group the day before. He often talked about this terrible incident and how he had escaped their fate.

17. Ghostcruiser

Ghostcruiser
    from NE Florida

Damn if that's not the same thing I said when I saw that pic....:)
    Rob

18. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Here's my post #18916 that will allow one to take the
    'good old days" price of years ago and adjust to present day dollars. Prices havent really changed in reals terms over the uears, only the "inflation game" dollars intended to rob savers. But don't get me started.

Here's the inflation site if anyone cares .
    Just plug in your own numbers.
    Takes two seconds.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

It's not as good as a different method of calculating but
    close enough for us.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Wow, when this clutch blew, it REALLY let go!

[​IMG]

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Wow, SixDogs! So, inflation has been about 640 percent since 1961, and Tommy Ivo's four-engined dragster would NOW COST him over $96,000 to build. Yowsa!

21. Rod Zombie

Rod Zombie
    from Florida

President Reagan in his younger years. He was a ladies man.

22. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

And that's to build with baling wire and tape, etc and wear the old day's safety equiment. None, for short..
    Guys back then were sure brave and the mere fact that most lived until today a testament to their true grit.
    A lot of the posters on this thread are those very guys.

23. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Cool models.

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Ha! Good point there, Paul. :) My dad was a car guy from 16 when he started doing anything and everything in his uncle's garage, as well as hauling anything, anywhere with his '41 Ford truck.

He shared with me a lot of tricks he learned at the station to keep cars going on a shoe string (in the war years, parts were a problem, and many people didn't have money to do anything but bare essentials, meaning those who hadn't reverted to "horse"-power :eek: for the duration!). One of my favorite stories was about himself and buddies (own cars) wrapping the baling wire to do a temp fix on tierods, in particular. Safety? What was that?

BTW, I rate baling wire right up there with duct tape among ALL-purpose tools! LOL :p

25. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

26. Andy

Andy

What is that with the hoses on the back of the engine? Some kind of cam driven fuel pump? I wonder if it had some strange flywheel in it to clear the pump. I wish the driver well. Probably was not good.

27. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Did I die and go to Woody Heaven???? :D

28. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

If you lived in western New york in the mid '60's, you listened to Joey Reynolds.

[​IMG]

Joey Reynolds is the South Buffalo boy who became one of America's all-time rock radio superstars at WKBW in the early 1960s. His nightly 6:55 "changeover crosstalk" with Dan Neaverth became must-listening, and he and Neaverth scored a hit record with "Rats in My Room." Reynolds later luxuriated successfully in New York, Los Angeles and Philadelphia as a radio jock, TV personality, showbiz producer and music impresario.

29. wit's end garage

wit's end garage
    from Iowa

30. Yeah! Say, didja ever have a GF that you just didn't unnerstand? Maybe this movie explains it ! :eek: :

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.