Register now to get rid of these ads!

Camping out at shows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SOLID9, Mar 21, 2011.

1. hemi

hemi

We camped a few years back at the Hot Rods and Hill-billys show in North Georgia.. It was pretty fun. We used the back of a pickup, but things were pretty mellow after a fight or two and the helicopter life-flighted a four-wheeler (I think) crash victim out. :D

There is fun camping at the drags if you race... done that a bunch in Bakersfield, Palmdale, and Inyokern (R.I.P.)

2. Clark

Clark

I love the events you can camp at. We did it for years at York until they kicked the campers out. Liked it so much we rent a lot and camp outside now.

Jalopy Showdown is a good one to camp at.

Then there is the Western MD Rod Roundup. It is a throwback to the 70's when rod runs were fun. They have parties every night and up until just a few years ago the beer was free.

I gotta say the English and Sweedes know how to build cars and evidently they know how to have a good time too.
    Clark

3. wizzard23

wizzard23

Different don't mean better. What we need is more old timey "Rod Runs" and alot less Sat. afternoon "Trophy Hunts". BTW I do happen to help put on a 70's style run. Hole in the Wall Gang's 37th Annual Rod Run and Campout, Osborne KS. Sept, 9,10,11. PM me for details!

4. Wowcars

Wowcars

I can't think of many shows in MN or ND where there wasn't camping involved. Usually that's the highlight of the event!

5. FlatheadFanFromMI

FlatheadFanFromMI

6. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

The Hole in the Wall Gangs Rod Run and Campout 2nd weekend in Sept. for the last 35 no maybe 36 years. WIZARD23 can tell ya all about it. Hot showers and indoor plumbin even.

7. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

Steel In Motion at Shadyside Dragway in Shelby, N.C.. Camping, dragracing, music and BYOB.:D

www.steelinmotion.net

8. El Mirage. Used to be free, now they charge you to camp on public land. But there's still nothing like it.

9. Aint it to cold in ND and miNN to camp. Its like always cold there rite ryan

10. hbwoody

hbwoody

You can Motorhome are Trailer camp at the "Great Labor Day Cruise" in Costa Mesa, CA.
    http://occa-inc.com/

11. firingorder1

firingorder1

Thankfully El Mirage is a Car GO not show. Well worth the $15 to get in. BLM charges BTW not SCTA.

12. slick 65

slick 65

i always go to camp and drag every year in indiana 3-4 day show, i just started doing halloween classic at summit motorsports park 3 day show very fun camping weekend on the grounds with dragracing all three days

13. Muttley

Muttley

I can sleep anywhere but cant function without a shower, no camping for me thank you.

14. narlee

narlee

I think they had camping at Billetproof Northwest.

15. Under canvas is the norm over here.
    There's full shower and toilet facilities,so no stinky tents!

[​IMG]

A few years back one show I was at was 'invaded' by non rod types, they raided our gazebo during their night of partying and stole all our food for the morning after fry up.
    We were awake early as usual to take in the show while the culprits slept off their night of excess and discovered the theft.
    By luck I had my tool box with me,it's amazing what you can 'write' on the thieving bastards windshield!!

16. You can camp at le 24 heures du Le Mans - went there with the Caterham Club and had a great time.

17. Soreback

Soreback

I'll be at the PIR track in a tent for the swap meet next week for five days. And Billetproof in June for the weekend. Always a lot of fun.

18. Steve from PA

Steve from PA

Camping has been on forever at the Western Maryland Street Rod Roundup, Cumberland MD Labor Day weekend.

19. screwball

screwball

rod runs are what got me into the hobby free beer Fri night dinner and party Sat. night only leave the park for the rod tour or poker run and more booze.

20. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Vintage Torque Fest will have camping - I think it costs $15 for a spot....and I am pretty sure they are installing portable showers for everyone.......not sure what that will cost.

The fairgrounds get that $$$ - I am not involved.
    You can call them direct - the number is on our site.

Camping last year at Torque Fest was ..............
    well..........
    interesting.

3 inches of rain on Friday made it VERY interesting.

Seemed like no one had a bad time though.

This year the camping area is not on that muddy dirt.....much more sandy dirt which will help get the rain away much faster and hopefully avoid any vehicles getting stuck in the mud.

21. Weasel

Weasel

Well since nobody else has said it, the bend at Bonneville....

22. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

The Rumblers show in Terryville (CT) has camping on sight, and a great group. Jim

23. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Probably wouldn't be too fun here in central TX in the summer. Trying to sleep in 90 degreee high humidity weather with no breeze while a bunch of people get pie faced and whoop it up untill 4am? No thanks. Maybe for the under 40 crowd.

24. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

when i was a pup it was cool, but now i'm to old to sleep on a rock, in the rain. nowadays my idea of roughing it is sleeping in a hotel with the window open!

25. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

I thought we called that Sturgis?

26. HambBurglar

HambBurglar
    from Cincinnati

Don't forget Hot Rod Reunion at Beach Bend Park. Dragstrip, campground and amusement/water park for the kids all in one. Awesome.

27. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

in san diego we have a couple shows like that

king of clubs event has racing, bands and camping
    hippy killer hoedown has bands and camping
    Big 3 swapmeet has swapmeet and camping

28. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

You can sleep in the street at the rust revival! We don't care and neither do the cops! Couldn't be more laid back offa show! Porta pottys the only source of water so get there...a few days early! :)

29. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

Wow well thanks for for all of the responses guys, guess I've been looking in all the wrong places! Campin out at shows here has brought a whole different kind of fun to this hobby for me. When I make my come back to the US of A I will be sure to put some of those places on my list. Or I could quit blowing my money at events and finally get my own shit built :D

Oh and to the guys whining about a shower, smelly tents, and hotels with out pools... Ya'll should check out the good guys shows and stuff like that. I hear they got some really fantastic all billet trailer queens and they even got light beer! Haha I'm not sorry I just gotta pick on you guys, dont be such a woman about it. We're not a bunch of grungy dirt bags, just keep up the spirit of it all man! Ya think hot rodding started out in a metro/suburbia with the RV's with all the fancy bells and whistles and air conditioning, propane grills, and a wall mart by your side with all of the OFF spary and sun screen you could possibly need?! NO! Ok I'm done ranting, now go pitch a dam tent!

30. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Back in the 80's most of our street rod club members use to camp at the KOA for the colorado rocky mt nats. It was a blast,everyone kicked back and enjoyed sitting around the fire at night ,a few brews and a great BS session. Now days no tents but motor homes seem to be what they call camping,LOL.