Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1954 chevy ash tray

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DRAGULA54, Feb 20, 2011.

1. DRAGULA54

DRAGULA54

How does a 53-54 bel air ash tray hold it self in place da one I bought won't stay in place n keeps falling?

2. 54oldie

54oldie
    from Oklahoma

The ash tray itself has a raised groove on the top of it. On the back of the dash panel, it goes in, there is a "L" shaped bracket that bolts above the ash tray. That bracket has a recess groove that hold tension on the ashtray. Look on the back side of the dash panel, on top of the ashtray opening and see if you see two small holes with threads. The tension bracket attaches there.

You could also buy a dash panel from a 150 model, it does not have a ashtray. The dash panel is solid, w/o an open for ash tray

3. 54oldie

54oldie
    from Oklahoma

Here are some pictures.

Attached Files:

4. DRAGULA54

DRAGULA54

Thanks man dat helps a lot! I now know what my problem is but how 2 fix it is the question do they remake those lil tension brackets any more or am I goin 2 have 2 keep my eyes open for one?

5. 54oldie

54oldie
    from Oklahoma

I have never seen a re-man tension bracket. You have several choices. Find one at a swapmeet, or find another complete dash plate with an complete ashtray assembly. If you find one that has alot of pitting, I would think you could get the whole thing for $5-$10. Remove the ashtray part and you are in business. The other option is to buy a dash plate from a 150 model 54. The dash plate on a 150 came from the factory without an ashtray in the panel. It is just a flat panel. Good Luck.

6. 54oldie

54oldie
    from Oklahoma

Here's picture of the two dash plates side by side. The one without the ashtray opening is from a base model 54.

Attached Files:

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Dragula 54
    check into National Chevy Assoc..they may have one, or at least know where to score.
    I'll keep my ears and eyes open for one

http://www.nationalchevyassoc.com/

i think there is also another place called chevy of the 50's?..google it ..you might find something..

8. DRAGULA54

DRAGULA54

Ya I got a 150 model as well but wanted the ash tray n this one is rechromed n got da glove box door 2 match from bel air. I'll just have 2 keep my eyes peeled thanks oldie for all da info

9. DRAGULA54

DRAGULA54

Ya I'll check em out Von rigg thanks

10. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

It's actually Chev's of the 40's

11. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Check with Dubie54 he's got a bunch of parts cars

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

ahh yeah yer right, my bad:eek:

13. anthonyg

anthonyg
    from arizona

i agree with engine138...dubie54 is where i would look, he's got tons of stuff and he's quick...i hate waiting!

14. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

If not, there are tons of those dashes at Pomona swap meet everytime I go. Let me know if you cant get one before the next PSM...ill try to get one for ya. GoodLuck