Register now to get rid of these ads!

If emergency ever arose...could I push start my 1962 Buick special 2-speed automatic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slim tempo, Mar 14, 2011.

1. slim tempo

slim tempo

I seem to remember starting some of my Dad's old Buicks by bumper pushing it with the transmission in Drive or Low or something. Was that possible?

Attached Files:

2. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

Does it havea power glide? I have an original manual for the power glide my elky and it says something in there about compression starting it. but its some rediculous speed if i remember right like 25 mph. I can look later for you

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My '50 Olds could be push started. As could my old cast iron torque-flit. But I don't think yours can. Once won a bet with a guy and a '61 Pontiac. Don't care how fast you push it. No rear pump. No go. I think that is your position.

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Rich is right. Needs a rear pump to push start. I, too, got a '50 Olds push-started back in '74.

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

There was a point in time when rear pumps disappeared from all auto transmissions. Can't say just when but I'd guess around '60. Without a rear pump the drive shaft cannot pressurize the transmission thus no connection to the engine.

6. when i went to tech school in 1963 we had a tranny dyno and the instructors were always running the hydromatics with power to the tailshaft, they seemed to think that was cool or they may have had a reason for it checking the rear oil circuit??the good old days, never seen another trans dyno seince then

7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I push started a Powerglide equipped car once. Some friends and I were hanging out one day and a guy's 63 Impala wouldn't start. It was late and no stores were open for a new starter. We got Slowandlow63 to sit on the hood of another guy's 66 Fairlane and put his feet on the trunk of the Impala. We had to get the car up to about 35 mph and I slammed the Impala into low gear, it sputtered and fired. Crazy stuff when we were like 18 years old.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

hmmmm.............maybe that was '62 impala. I believe Chevy used the cast iron PG (which has a rear pump) thru '61 on all models (except Turboglides) and in '62 6 cyl and 283's......full size cars.........intro'd the aluminum PG (no rear pump) in '62 on 6 cyl Nova's and 327 V8 equipped full sizers......

Ray

9. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Stop on the top of a steep hill, shut it off and then try to start it by rolling down the hill. Be prepaired for no power steering or power brakes though!:D :eek: :rolleyes:

10. slim tempo

slim tempo

Got no power brakes, no power steering, no roof rack, no antenna, radio block off plate. All it got is charisma....

I drove it today and started rolling down a long hill. Got it up to 35, put it in neutral, turned off the key. Engine off. I rolled for 15 seconds and flipped the key back on...in neutral. Engine started up. What's up with that?

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      482 KB
      Views:
  11. rynogeezy

rynogeezy
    from seattle

the air speed must have created a supercharger effect and made the motor fire.

12. The manual for my Comet has instructions on push starting it at a speed of 25 MPH. Ive always been curious about that.

13. I hope this is FNG humor:confused:;)

14. slim tempo

slim tempo

Air speed...I like it.

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      482 KB
      Views:
  15. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Some aluminum Powerglides had a rear pump. Think the cutoff year was 1965. Those trannys were in high demand by circle track racers in the 1980s.

16. Smokey2

Smokey2

Tha' Secret, TO the Secret Recipe IS.....You HAVE TO get tha' PUSH CAR up to 40 to 45 mph..............Hope you have STRONG BUMPER PROTECTION!!!!

Smoked UP........in Tha' GREAT SMOKEY MTS. (SMILE)

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

In that case you had pressure in the case when you shut the engine off. The clutches were applied. Trans kept turning from driveshaft, pressure in lines did not exhaust? Back in gear it turns? Try shuting it off with the car stopped. Then rolling down hill. If that works, it works.

18. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

65 Pontiac Tempest with 216 straight six and PG - would not push start. The car was weird and might have originally been Canadian delivery.

19. BuickLeSabre1960

BuickLeSabre1960

Haven't tried it but the manual says you can push start a '60 Buick, it's got the Dynaflow in it

20. k9racer

k9racer

If your car has a rear pump remove drive shaft if towing the car.. If it runs let the engine idel in N.. old car manuals stated this.. This is why most of the wreckers pulled cars from the rear..Cars I have owned with auto and able to push start were 53 and 56 ford, 53 olds 51 pont and a 52 stude..and a 55 panel delivery 1 ton with 261 and a hydro trans..

21. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

22. 32fordroadster

32fordroadster
    from Wisconsin

Had a 61' Impala in high school, 283 power glide that we push started all the time(couldn't afford a good battery)

23. SixFive

SixFive

I had an O/T car, mine was a 4-speed, but in the owner's manual it said the automatics could be push started at 35mph. That always made me laugh, if I could push the damn thing to 35mph I would just push it home.

24. Ramblur

Ramblur

Push started my 63 Belair wagon once in high school. Jeep with a push
    bumper and around 20 mph she was spinning over. Fuel pump dying or
    plugged filter I'm not sure but he had to push me about once a mile for
    the 10 mile ride home as it would not stay running. Good times...

25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reminds me of the old joke. Guy shows up at he body shop with his car, which has the rear clip pushed in about 2 feet. The bodyman asks, "What happened to your car?" The guy says, "Well, when I tried to start it, the battery was dead, so I got out the manual, and it said we could push start it if the speed got up to 35 mph. I went in and got the wife to get her car to push start me. Last thing I remember was telling her is that she had to have it up to 35 mph when she pushed me.":D

26. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky