Register now to get rid of these ads!

upholstery terms?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bct, May 30, 2008.

1. bct

bct

i have never used a sewing machine in my life BUT i just bought a brother db2 sewing machines and am going to make my convertible top

i have been hearing some unfamiliar terms used and would also like to know some proper names for certain things too

i also have some basic questions for the upholstery gurus ...

1....whats the edging that is sewn to carpet called
    2...is it possible to make your own pipeing with an average machine
    3...what is the firm foam called that you can cut pleats into on your panels
    4...what is the best thread to use for outdoors (car top)
    5...what will clean the contact cement off my vinyl??
    6...canvas or vinyl...pro's/con's
    thanks in advance

2. Terms mary vary in different locales...
    1..Bias Tape
    2..need an industrial Mach/w walking foot and a welting foot
    3..pleating foam
    4..I use dacron for outdoors
    5..I use a little enamel reducer vary sparingly
    6.."stayfast" or Harrtz cloth the best

3. Slide

Slide

This book has a section on terms and definitions, as well as an explanation of a lot of the tools of the trade.

I recently bought an old Juki machine myself, but haven't really had a bunch of time to play with it... but I am learning, and that book has been helpful for me.

As for your questions, I'll try to answer as I know:
    1. Most people call it "binding". If you just stitch a tight pattern around the edges, it's "serging".
    2. That's how most pros do it. Most recommend a special asymmetrical foot for the machine.
    3. ??? Most trim guys I've seen just sew the pleats into foam-backed vinyl/leather/fabric.
    4-6. Beats me!

4. Squablow

Squablow

I've done a little bit of upholstery myself and I would say that making a convertible top (especially from scratch if you don't have an old one for a pattern) has got to be one of the toughest things you can do for upholstery.

Making door panels, carpet sets, and reupholstering seats isn't impossible for a beginner but making a top sounds like it'd be pretty tough. I would suggest starting with the easier stuff first to get the hang of it before you tackle the top.

5. bct

bct

great... thanks for the help guys...mine does have a walking foot , so i'm guessing that the welting foot is an optional add on...

6. Welting foot has a groove in it to channel the cording thru...Must get one that fits your machine however..

7. bct

bct

library had it on the self, awesome info...thanks

8. 5window

5window

Good point. I have gotten close to a dozen good instructional books from my library on inter-library loan. Don Taylor's among others. Some I've gone on to order for myself, some I've just copied some information out of.

Books are great and the library is an excellent resource. The 'nets' a wonderful resource, but I've never been comfortable using my laptop in the bathroom or in bed. Must just be too damn old.:)

9. The Cap'n

The Cap'n
    from Kansas

A walking foot just means that the foot moves with the material...it's great for preventing the material from slipping but it's not the actual foot itself. You will need a welting foot, and they work just fine...it's an easy thing to pick up on with a few practice strips.

The edging is really binding. Depending on the app. then sometimes bias binding tape is used, but there are also many times when you just use material and bind the edge with it.

For the foam, if you mean a top-stitched pleat, then you want to go with scrim foam. It has a mesh on the back of it so the thread has something to grab and hold on to.

For topping, wbrw32 has it right on...haartz cloth is the best stuff to make a top out of.

10. tooslow54

tooslow54

Gas.

11. MrBullet

MrBullet

pretty much all those heavy machines use the same foot, Juki an Consew, you can get a good welt foot from ebay for about 20.00. As far as the top goes, you if you can read a tape measure and are able to sew ,, you can do it,, just measure twice and stitch once and then resew