Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engler's junk yard in NE Pa to crush cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skidsteer, Mar 18, 2011.

1. skidsteer

skidsteer

Update on Engler's Junk yard off I-81 in NE Penna, which has been covered here before -- I was there today, lady in the office said they will be crushing starting next month, she expects all cars to be gone within 3 years. Hundreds of 40's, 50's, 60's cars, most are beyond restoration, but you can easily kill an afternoon just walking around. Lots of cars with decent glass, stainless trim, decent bumpers, busses full of hubcaps and other parts. Closed all day Sunday, and also closed Wed and Sat afternoons. I would recommend calling first (570) 868-3990. Take I-81, Exit 159 Nuangola, head west 2-1/2 miles to 1768 Stairville Road. White garage on the left "Englers Auto Parts", stop there to sign release form and to get directions to the yard. My experience has been that the more parts you buy, the better deal he will give you.

Attached Files:

2. skidsteer

skidsteer

Somebody asked about the hubcaps -- most were '60's and 70's, looked like somebody probably sorted through them years ago, because there were no sombreros, smoothies, spinners, etc.

3. F&J

F&J

Sad that another is going to be scrapped. Decades ago, we never worried about finding parts because yards were everywhere.

I can't blame them for whatever reason they have. Scrap is high, and selling tidbits and tours may not pay as well, or maybe they want to retire.

4. fleetside66

fleetside66

Here are some pics I took a couple of years ago. There is a lot of stuff there, but the old tin worm has definitely taken it's toll. The is the northeast, not the southwest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I'll be damned... haven't seen a '57 DeSoto in a junkyard in my life, and there are two right there in your pics - a Firesweep coupe and a Firedome/flite wagon. Looks like a LOT of stuff, but mostly parts cars at this point. Hope some of them get saved!

6. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

any 39-46 chevy/gmc their

7. skidsteer

skidsteer

Yes, I saw a truck similar to your avatar, however it was large, maybe a 2-1/2 ton. It still had the grille, although that was pretty rusted.

8. How long has this place been there ? Don't remember it from my youth.

9. skidsteer

skidsteer

Judging from the cars there, I would say at least 50 years. Quite a few 40's to 60's cars, and I saw three rusted hulks from the late 30's. Not far off the Interstate, but not visible from any road. I lived up here for 25 years before somebody told me about it, and I drove right past it many times.

10. Gotta make a trip up there.

11. fleetside66

fleetside66

The nice thing is (1) the people running it are sane....they're not the wacko types that you more than often run into at junk yards & (2) you can walk through the yard by yourself with no scrutiny on what you're doing or how long you're there. The office is in a garage across the road from the actual yard if I remember correctly.

12. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

If I buy a car there is there anyone that would be willing to go pull a pair of taillights for me and ship them to me if I gave them the rest of the car? I am working on buying the black lincoln in the first batch or photos. Thanks, Jim

13. Great place to take the camera and spend an afternoon.

14. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Headed to Maxton ,NC in a couple weeks . Definately worth a side trip. Thanks for the heads up.

15. F&J

F&J

Fleetside66 pics: What the heck are the 2 cars... the red convertible next to the Ford convertible, and also the rusted brown car 2 dr with orange paint on the glass?

16. Have you asked the yard owners if they would do it for you? I was there last fall and they removed a door for me, had it off and waiting for me when I went out there to pick it up. They might just send it to you as well or a HAMB person might do it. The owners are very nice to deal with. Now that this post mentions the crushing, I'll have to make a quick road trip again as it rained just as I got there and couldn't look around much. :(

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Very sorry to hear they're going to crush out:(, BUT glad it seems
    to be a three-year program, so things will be weeded out gradually.
    That way, HAMBers can get in there and get what they need or can
    save:). Sounds as though Engler's is almost directly south of
    Wilkes-Barre, close to Hazelton and very near I-81 (?). AT LEAST,
    we all have a heads-up! :eek: How many times have you gone back to
    an old yard and found bare ground! This situation beats that, right?
    :eek: Here are two more pix posted from a late-'09 trip by our Power-
    Shifter & Norville. More can be seen on the thread entitled,
    "Black Friday '09 Junk Yard Day."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Engler's is actually southwest of Wilkes-Barre,
    four miles west of the Nuangola Exit # 159, I-81.
    Near the burg of Wapwallopen.
    Yard is located in Dorrance Twp., 2 1/2 miles
    off Route 81 exit 159 (Nuangola exit).

Hours: 8:30 am to 5 pm M, T, Th, F
    8:30- Noon Wed and Sat

Mailing address:
    Englers Autos and Parts
    1768 Stairville Rd
    Wapwallopen Pa 18660

PH: (570) 868-3990

19. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

what a damn shame first baughmans now this one, this is a great yard definatly gotta make another trip soon.

20. that lincolns taillights are already gone.
    tok

21. Couple from last year before the rain got too heavy to stay...

Attached Files:

22. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

The red convertible is a 53 Dodge and the little 2 door coupe I have no idea. Looks somewhat like an Italian coupe from the late 50s or early 60s but can't find a match for the emblem on the grille.

23. Wapwallopen, just rolls off the tongue doesn't it. It's an Indian word for "rusted junk." Good place to stop when you're heading to the Pocono Drag Lodge reunion.

24. TomWar

TomWar

"and also the rusted brown car 2 dr with orange paint on the glass?"

That looks like a 58-59 Goliath. German front wheeldrive opposed 4 cyl water cooled.

25. skidsteer

skidsteer

Although Fleetside66's pics are a few years old, that Goliath is still there, right at the front as you walk into the yard. In fact the letters spelling the name are still on the hood, except for two.
    Incidentally, that nice new house in this last pic sits right in the middle of a field that was full of cars a few years ago ..........

Attached Files:

26. I stopped last fall in my '51 Plymouth. Owner of the yard pointed out every Plymouth in the yard on the aerial photo hanging on the wall. I'm going to do my best to get a few parts i was lusting after out of there with a quickness. If any other locals want to make a day of it let me know...

p.s. Since I've joined the ranks of the unemployed if any of you out of town guys needs anything shoot me a pm. I've got nothing but time these days :rolleyes:

27. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

im looking for front clip or fenders for 58-60 dodge truck, or from 58-66 townwagon/panel. let me know if you come across any

28. 41woodie

41woodie

Anyone id this car, it kind of looks like 56-57 Hudson but not quite.

Attached Files:

29. Already answered in the last couple posts. ^^^
    Reading is FUNdamental - have fun. :rolleyes:

30. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Here's a '57 Hornet. Maybe this is what you had in mind. But,
    yeah, they'd ID'd that as a German-made Goliath a tad earlier.

[​IMG]