Register now to get rid of these ads!

1948-1950 F1 dash ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Finally started working on my 48 Ford 1/2 ton. The truck was factory green. The exterior was repainted 'cream' a few decades ago which looks OK for a beater but the interior is still green.

Just scored a really nice blue seat so gonna repaint the inside factory dark blue.

My dash is in good condition so I'm going with a 'stock' look. I'd like to paint just the center part (the raised portion with the gauges, ashtray and glovebox) a contrasting color BUT around the glovebox door recess is irregular and could turn out goofed up looking because of the shape.

If you have any photos I'd appreciate them, especially 2-tone. Might as well post up what you have. Custom, mild, wild or stock. Inquiring minds want to know......

I'd love to put in a custom dash from another vehicle in there but I'll be lucky to drive this thing before I die of old age. Still gotta' rewire it.... oh and get it running...

[​IMG]

~Mark

48-50 dash looks like this, it's not mine.

[​IMG]
    dash photo from
    http://www.fatfenderedtrucks.com

2. fleetwood39

fleetwood39

I am about to put a 1955 Mercury dash in my 1950 f-1. The gauge cluster from the Mercury is what made me want to do it. The f-1 will also be getting a steering column and wheel from the same Mercury. I'm thinking about 1949 Mercury tail lights also. Maybe I should think about some wheel covers....

3. can't post photos as I'm well away from home base BUT if you want the stock look with a bit of an edge think about using your stock dash panel & adding a piece from another F-1 to make it like a big oval. That flat right side doesn't work but if you blend in another to the left viola!!

4. ironpile

ironpile

I just got a 51 dash for my 48,it has a nice style to it and will fit with no real problems. Removed section between guages ,filled it in and cut holes for 4, 2inch guages. It`s painted bright Yellow and is right here beside me in my man cave.

5. WOOO-HOO

Got the truck running tonight!! Ran a hot wire and used a 12V battery (wiring harness is toast) This truck hasn't been started since 1982. I didn't have a clue if the motor was good or not.

I screwed with the usual stuff then it farted, coughed and lit off. I had a couple plug wires switched so was running rough. Fixed that and it purrs. Carb didn't even leak. It is leakin' some oil though, looks like I have a harmonic balancer seal replacement in my future.

I'm so stoked! wiring and brakes and I'll be cruisin'

6. k-member

k-member

That sounds like that will be a cool dash. I have 49 Merc tail lights on my 51, there a natural.

Attached Files:

7. I have seen those billet gauge panels installed on one with SW gauges put in...looked kinda cheap and busy. Just my 2 cents...

8. I "mirrored" the stock oval, framed it in brake line and made a new insert. It came out ok and let me use all the guages I wanted.

Attached Files:

9. budalt

budalt
    from Winder, Ga

im thinking about putting a 59 belair dash in mine. have to cut about a foot out of it to get it to fit.

10. bobj49f2

bobj49f2