Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need help with electrical problems with my 55 Chevy Belair.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evol55, Mar 20, 2011.

1. evol55

evol55

My car will not start. I checked all the wires and they are not loose or frayed. We bypassed the box on the outer fire wall and it started. We think the box is bad. Now I just need to know what that box is called to go and order it. I do not think it is a relay. I also checked the fuse box and all the fuses are not blown out. We checked the alternator, starter and battery also. They are good to go so please help me out. Thanks, Evol55.

2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

not sure what box you are referring to. pics would help

3. marc33

marc33

Ballast resistor? About 1"x3" white?

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Explain box a lil better, a pic would be better.

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If it's the ballast resistor you can jump around it and see if it fires, then replace it if that works. Don't permamnently jump it unless you've converted your distributor to electronic. Stock dist. need it to keep the points from frying.

6. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If it isn't the ballast resistor, then it is an aftermarket system of some type.

The original ballast resistor would be a ceramic hollow block with what looks like a spring inside.

7. evol55

evol55

He is the box in question. Thanks for your help. This car has a 93 lt1, and HEI

Attached Files:

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

that looks like a starter relay from a chrysler product??? I dont know why someone put that on there your car doesnt need it

9. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

looks like it might be a horn relay. how did you 'bypass' the box??

10. that's a confusing mess of wires , and i have no idea what that "box" is doing.

what i would do is follow each wire that is attached to it to see where it goes. maybe with that info we could figure out what it is supposed to do

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It sure looks like a Chrysler starter relay. Maybe it's connected to bypass the ballast resistor for starting.

12. 26 roadster

26 roadster

that is not 55-57 chevy? unaware of its purpose.

13. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

That master cylinder isn't stock either. Did a shoemaker own that car?

14. squirrel

squirrel

Like they said, it's a Chrysler product starter relay. If you want us to help you figure it out, you're going to have to do some detective work, and also learn how to draw an electric schematic...even then it's going to be tough to figure it out over the internets. Suggest you find someone nearby who knows how electrons work, and get them to take a look at it. The wiring looks scary though....good luck

15. pcterm2

pcterm2

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

From what I can see, I'd recommend rewiring the whole car. I do my own but for a novice you probably want a wiring kit. At least you will get instructions and a 1-800 number for help if you get into trouble.

17. Dan57

Dan57

So, I think we need some more info. Does the car crank over?? What engine is in it? What type of ignition system?

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

19. that sure as heck aint original to a chevy- thought you were talking about the voltage regulator.... but someone jerry rigged that sucker.... we got 8 trifives and aint 1 of em wired up like that... the location is for your ballast, but that aint a 55 chev ballast, maybe a chry start relay if it still has a generator on it

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

As said many times already. It does not belong and the wiring is a rats nest. Needs a redue.

21. stronga

stronga

I agree it does not belong. It looks like a relay of some type. I found one on my car that the previous owner put on as a failed attempt to keep the battery from running down. I took it off and put in a new wiring kit.

Ps. The mystery item is where the resistor would go.

22. evol55

evol55

Thanks for the answers. I have had this car for almost 9 years now and have always wanted to redo the original wiring. Over the past two years I have been unscrewing what has been screwed up by the guy I have got it off of. I think now is the time to do the wiring. I just replaced the worn 350 engine for a newer 350. Thanks, Evol55.

23. evol55

evol55

Thanks for the answers. I have had this car for almost 9 years now and have always wanted to redo the original wiring. Over the past two years I have been unscrewing what has been screwed up by the guy I have got it off of. I think now is the time to do the wiring. I just replaced the worn 350 engine for a newer 350. I also replaced the front drum brakes with disc brakes and no that master cylinder is not stock. Not a former shoemakers car it was a trailer trash druggie that had it. Thanks, Evol55.