Register now to get rid of these ads!

Auto Meter Fuel Level gauge question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbo17, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The needle on my Auto Meter gauge started going back and forth like crazy and after I shut the car off the gauge was pined to the far right and now it wont move.

This is the fuel level gauge and not the fuel pressure gauge.

My question is can this be fixed or is it time for a new gauge?

Do these gauges come apart where the needle can be moved the correct spot?

Thanks Jimbo

2. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

Jimbo;
    I just installed Auto Meter gauges in my '40, haven't finished up yet. I think before I tore into the gauge I would disconect the sender wire and see what I got. The gauges are pretty fool proof, the sender has the moving parts. Even try pulling the sending unit, ground the flange, and move the arm by hand. Probably need a spare set of hands. I made a cover for the sending unit hole so as to not have any fumes in case of a spark. Let me know how you come out, in case mine does the same thing.

3. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will check out the sending unit first.

These gauges have been installed in my car for over 10 years with no problems and then yesterday I start the car and the fuel gauge needle is going back and forth kind of fast from empty to full and then the needle to start to slow back down to normal and then I noticed it was just pegged to the past full side.

I will let you know what I find.

Jimbo

4. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

check your ground for the sender, might be crusty causing too much resistance and pegging the gauge.

5. George/Maine

George/Maine

The me its sound like the wire to sender is shorting to ground,and not going thur sender.

6. BigVinDaddyMac

BigVinDaddyMac

very typical of a bad ground connection

7. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

pull the wire off the sending unit, does the gauge unpeg? if it unpegs,, ground the sender wire. Does it peg? if so its teh sending unit or tank ground. If not, its the gauge, contact autometer and see what they say.

I'm betting they say send it back and we can fix it, minimal charge. Thats what they've told me EVERYTIME there has been an issue, even if it was my fuckup that broke the gauge.