Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lost then found, 34 hot rod roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Welp, been keeping this under wraps for awhile. A few of you know, as we speak off online that I was on the hunt. I have been hunting for over 6 years. I found this car while chasing down a grill, got to talking, and heard about the old hot rod living in a barn in Pa.

The body had been hung by chains for 15 years from the rafters in an old barn. Before that it was in Pa. I believe with another owner whom bought the car in 1950 out in Ca.

Originally the 34 was an old Navy base resident in Ca. It was a Colonels everyday car back in the thirties. It also had a pick up bed in the trunk area during its late thirties/forties lifetime.

The story goes, a young cadet also out in Ca. and staitioned at the Colonels base asked his Co. officer if he could have the day off to go buy a car. The officer asked what kind of car? The cadet replied, any car, an old one, an affordable car. The young cadet only had a 175.00 dollars to spend. The Colonel then told the cadet of his old 34, and they struck a deal for the 175.00 dollars.

Apperently, when the cadet brought the car home, his young wife cried. This young gent then proceded to make the old 34 a hot rod! It got a later flathead, hydraulic brakes, a dropped axle, a lowered top, a custom dash, etc.

You could say, I saved this car! As it was headed to be restored into an old stocker. Can't wait to get started... it has been a dream for along time now. I'm very excited. I'll keep you guys up to date with what going to go down. Don't have much time this morning to chat. I know some friends are dying for pics. So here she is...

Attached Files:

2. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

cool story,cool car...man, you find some great stuff!

3. Lord Purple

Lord Purple

Looks pretty straight and solid, good luck with it!

L.P.

4. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Thats a cool story GREAT roadster best of all save from a restorer getting it!!!!!

5. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

oh man. that's awesome. congratulations on the find. can't wait to see what you do with it.

6. Great score! I look forward to watching the build.

7. Oh man guys... there is so much more of a story. I had to shorten it as Moms at the gym, and I have the little guy right now. He is all over...

We were out early this am staring at it. Oh boy, can't wait!

8. Holy Sh!t that is awesome!

9. I lost internet connection for a moment, I had written some more stuff.

So, I was pretty loaded down yesterday. We had the body packed, below the car packed, the bed of truck, inside of cab... just crazy! I got a shit ton of stuff. A lot of extras to sell off an recoupe I hope!

I gotta thank my best little hot rod bud, Kevin. Kevin Horton rules! Always there for a hot rod adventure. I had so much dust in my nose yesterday, I was blowing blood from it last night. We did a lot of heavy lifting and hauling. Thanks Kevin! You locals will remember Kevuin from our Motor Speedway days.

Attached Files:

10. VanHorton

VanHorton

haha we had fun picking this thing up! and we managed not to kill ourselves which always a plus!

11. I was lucky enough to get some doubles of things... Not a lot of roadster doubles though. But some things to sell off and help out. I got a sweet set of 34 three window doors... WOW! Amazing...

Got an extra decklid, wheels, and extra frame, gas tank, etc. What a day!!!

Attached Files:

12. Now unfortunetly I have to send the T about a half our away to another garage. I have to make room for the 34 at home. The wood is perfect, can't let it get wet!

Attached Files:

13. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

looking forward to hearing the rest of the story. The wheel wells look like 1933's but the cowl is a 1934. Those doors are (Speechless) At Ease soldier(sorry could not resist)

14. Truth is, I like 33's! Hence me looking for a 33 grill. I have something special for a 33 I want to use. We'll see what happends.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  15. I gotta run, as I have to get her into the garage. Rain is coming tomorrow.

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Good score Mel! I knew you were looking for one and I am stoked that one popped up with a good story behind it.

And honestly that thing is going to look great driving all year long in Charlotte when you move down here. Hint hint ;)

17. skirtless33

skirtless33

I like them 33 roadsters. Wish I had a steel one instead of my glass one.

18. scruff

scruff

All the 34 open cars had smooth wheelwells.

19. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

20. sololobo

sololobo

D.D., what a great story, and saving saga. I am so proud of your multi year pursuit to save this baby. Hot rodders rule, and you are hereby nighted, "Sir Save a Rod". Good luck with the neat-o project man. ~sololobo~

21. 343w

343w

This will be a great thread to follow, keep us up dated as you bring her back to life!

22. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Thats a cool story with a great end. It looks nice and solid, can't wait to see the end product.

23. brady1929

brady1929

wow what a find. congrats

24. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

GREAT FIND!! Love it.

25. True, Cabriolets too

26. That thing is awesome Mel, glad you finally got it! What the hell kind of trailer is that??

27. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you can keep your 32 in my garage. I got room.
    ________
    Headshops

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  28. You can keep your 34 in my garage I've got room!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome find beyond belief!

29. hasty

hasty

Great find - congratulations

30. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Great score and I love the T!