Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motor mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimV57, Mar 19, 2011.

1. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

I am seeing 2 different types of motor mounts and I'm wondering what I should use for my 430 motor in my truck. The OEM with rubber or make my own out of metal without the rubber? Making my own would be less expensive but I don't know if they would cause too much vibration.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

OEM, that way vibration is not transferred back into rest of truck. If you isolate the drive train it guarantees a better quality ride. I suppose if solid, it's an easy of earthing the engine to the frame. Solids to me are for racing. Still you have rubber trans mount. Personal preference I guess. Manufacturers spent $MM doing R&D, I take advantage of their expertise.

3. Fenders

Fenders

Buick 430? OEM type not that expensive, rockauto has them. (Of course, anything's more expensive than welding your engine to the frame...)
    In any case, I'd use rubber isolation.

4. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

its a Lincoln 430. I was just curious because I see and read different things about each. I was planning on using OEM type. The thing with the Lincoln 430, parts like that aren't always easy to come by. I saw a used set on ebaymotors for around $160.

At any rate, thanks for the advise

5. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

If you are considering solid mounts you should read this discussion.

Making solid mounts would require some fabrication. If the original mounts are unavailable or too expensive, fabricate whatever it takes to adapt a mount from something else. Even a properly installed set of universal urethane bushings would be better than solid. "Properly installed" would include an inner sleeve through the bushing that allows the bolt to be securely torqued, not just a loose bolt installed through the bushing's center hole.

6. papaford60

papaford60
    from illinois

made mine for my clevo and incorporated sbf rubber mounts, I had a truck years ago with solid, I wouldn't recommend it.

7. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

WOW! I just found OEM motor mounts for the 430 for less than $7.00 each! They had some on ebay for $160...I'd say $14 bucks is a better deal than $160 eh? lol

8. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Cool... Where did you find them?

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Yeah one guy was trying to gouge a collector for his "RARE" parts. The other guy was tired of tripping over parts that didn't sell. Always shop around.

10. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

11. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I I forgot to put this link in my previous post:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570328