Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alright tranny experts, I have a good one for ya...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JK, Mar 18, 2011.

1. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

dumb question ,but are you getting 12 volts to one of the wires to the plug.had an odd prob with my 94 c10 stuck in first,took me forever to troublshoot to the dumbass that hooked up a remote auto start unit and tied it in with the wire from ign switch to power the tranny plug.it had fallen out of the household wire nut they had used to unstall the start unit.

2. I had somebody else ask that. They thought I might have 12v on when it shouldn't be. Causing it to be locked up in first and not shifting. I will check that tonight.

3. I had a non-HAMB friendly car do the same thing about 15 yrs ago. Drove it home from the shop, next day I had first and reverse. Called an expert....he said "Governor gear's broke".....sure enough....
    Hate to see a guy rebuild a trans over something so simple....just sayin'.....:eek:

4. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

hey jk,
    iv been building transmissions for 35 years,
    hope i can help yu.
    the 700r4 throttle valve train has a plunger which the cable actuator works, you can remove the role pin and pull the plunger and spring out, the throttle valve its self is held in by a role pin inserted from the inside of the valve body,
    shy of pulling the vb, what id do is use a Phillips screw driver and see if the throttle valve its self can be depressed.
    remove the plunger and spring, and poke the Phillips in the hole, depress the valve, if its stuck you can tell it,
    stock there's no spring to push the valve back, so sit the trannie up on the bellhousing, and tap on the valve with the Phillips, tap tap and maybe squirt some wd40 with the little straw, up in the hole and tap some more till yu feel the valve fall free.
    the governor, hold it by the gear with the weights hanging down wards, squeeze the weights in and watch the valve through the little slots move up and down as you work the weights in and out.
    if the valve don't move up and down, wd40 it and wack the shaft a couple times till its free.
    also try to twist the gear, sometimes the gear will shear off and it looks good but will turn in the governor.
    hope this makes since and helps yu.
    also if the cable is to tight it wont shift.
    cheers..

5. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Dont have a lot of experience with trannys, but check for an adams apple, that should be dead give away.

6. Mark, thanks for the advice. I did everything you suggested yesterday and it all checked out. The only thing I couldn't check is the TV cable tension. I have to get my new engine in for that. After I get it all back in, I may be asking you for advice.

7. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group