Register now to get rid of these ads!

Walton mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54FISH, Mar 19, 2011.

1. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hello , i'm tryin ' to install the walton trans & eng. Mounts on my 54' belair 350/350 . First the tailshaft of the trans hits the "u" of the mount when everything tightened , then i moved to the engine mounts & the left (drivers side) is going to overlap /interferr with the stock steering box bolts . Has anyone had this prob on the 54' i thought about making spacer blocks to lower trans plate (which mount is on). Don't know what to do with engine mounts , fan is 1" away from rad as is ?? Please help!!!!>?????

2. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

On my 51, they bolted right in. you use the rear xmember bolt to locate them. I didnt use the trans mount, but the engine mounts couldnt have been better.

3. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thanks , i double checked & my mounts will be right on top of the stock steering box bolts on the inside of the frame !!?? I'm thinking of altering the walton mount , but don't want to alter to sacrifice strength. "what the @!$#%!!!! . Relax , theres always a way!!

4. dgc15

dgc15

Call Todd Walton before you do anything. He is a good guy and will solve your problem. I used the motor & trans mounts in my 51. Everything fit like a glove.
    My tailhousing hit the tube also. Todd sent me a new plate that lowered it 1/4" and everything is fine. I am putting a 90 TPI motor and 700R4 in it. When we install it, it bolted up perfectly.

5. X2 Call Todd. He will get you installed.

6. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Ya, I met him when I picked up me mounts and firewall brake pedal. He is a super nice guy and let me poke around his shop while he finished up what he was doing. Definatly a top notch guy with top notch service quality. Give him a call, He will make it right whatever you need.

7. gsport

gsport

i agree... call todd, he walked me through a problem i was having with my steering linkage conecting to my R&P... super nice guy to talk to

8. BadLuck

BadLuck

same here.. nice guy and had no problems with my mounts...

9. J53

J53
    from WI

Something doesn't sound right. Are you sure you are putting the mounts in the right spot? You use the holes from the original motor mounts to locate the Waltons, isn't the steering box just to the rear of them? Like others have said, call Todd first.

10. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

x50 bagillion....call Todd. One of the best guys I've ever dealt with. On the trans crossmember, and I'm not sure if yours is different (it shouldn't be), the "U" plate that bolts on in the center that the trans sits on (and allows you to drop the whole thing if need be), should have a convex and concave side, if you look at it from the side. I had the same problem until I figured out that it was hump up, instead of hump down. That gave me the space I needed. I'm pretty sure he made it that way so it could accommodate damn near any trans....that thing is a work of art.