Register now to get rid of these ads!

what/how to lube leather seals?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott F., Mar 19, 2011.

1. Scott F.

Scott F.

What do I use and how do I lube the leather seals on some NOS front wheel bearing seals for my ride? Thanks,

Scott

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Buy new modern seals is the easiest way and they won't leak.

3. Scott F.

Scott F.

Thanks. At least you brought my thread back up to the top.

4. F&J

F&J

Motor oil works good. I personally would use them if they are not rock hard from a hot attic.

After you soak them overnight, just try to slip it over the spindle to see how it feels. If it is not shrunk, it should fit fairly snug. If that's ok, then use them.

or buy new seals, which likely will be china. I just heard from an engine shop that he is now finding name brand crank and timing cover seals made there. He has had to replace some because he had not noticed the ultra fine letters "china", and some of the seals were failing.

5. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Just pack the space between the bearing and seal with the same grease you use on the bearing. Leather seals don't require any different treatment than neoprene.

6. F&J

F&J

he said they are NOS. I assume 40 years old? so I think it does need an oil soak;)

I worked for CT DOT years ago. They used old RR train brake air cylinders to lift the plows. The NOS seals we had for those air cylinders needed soaking in light oil, as well as stretching with your fingers, to get them soft enough to use.

7. Scott F.

Scott F.

Thanks all. The seals are still soft and in great shape. I guess I'll soak them in motor oil for a while. Suppose the key is to keep from getting it on the inside of the drum. Made in the USA baybay.
    'buy modern seals' bleh.

8. LowFat48

LowFat48

Uncle Max gave me a good tip when I rebuilt my carbs , soak the leather seals in neatsfoot oil , worked great , it is the same stuff you would use for shoes or a baseball glove.