Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Jared71161

Jared71161

There's a great thread on this message board specifically marked 60's & 70's modifieds, but EVERYONE has been enjoying all the photos regardless if they are 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's modifieds regardless of the thread being marked "60's & 70's modifieds".

So what's your issue? Really. You seem to be the only one who doesn't appreciate all of the pictures and stories. Maybe next time you should post the exact years and loosen up a bit.

2. Lugs Harvey

Lugs Harvey

I make sure to visit this thread everyday, one of absolute best on the site, it ain't broke so please don't fix it.

3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

My original post (#1) was approved by the monitor, so as long as the cars stay within those boundaries, I see no problem.

Maybe the Linda & Dale photo turned the monitor off, I don't know.

Hberg Lives, your stuff fits well, and I love it. Got any ASA crossover photos?

4. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

5. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Just another comment. Every thread gets a little OT once in a while. On the "Drag Cars in Motion" thread there are lots of photos of cars on trailers, etc. "Cageless Midgets" has midgets with cages and sprint cars. "Vintage Sprint Cars" asks for nothing after 1969, but has some of those plus some midgets. If the monitors want every thread to keep tightly to the guidelines they're going to be deleting more than this one.

6. Keith Koether

Keith Koether

So, if we're good to go I'll scan and post more stuff. If they jump on us again I'll pull my stuff and find somewhere else to post it. I'm have a lot of fun showing off my old stuff and getting to see other peoples collections. It was a very fun part of my life that somehow got away from me and it's fun to get a little of it back and make some new friends along the way.:)

7. hanley_72

hanley_72

Please keep posting the pics. I LOVE THIS STUFF!!
    The thread is called HISTORIC STOCK CAR PHOTOS and these pics are exactly that. Some of this recent stuff posted is already 30 years old and more.

8. slysball

slysball

Keep posting this stuff. I love looking at the racecars I was watching in person as a kid some 30+ years ago. Man they sure look different than I remember.

9. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

like the man said don't post anything later than mid 60s. guys he's here for a reason. i love all the pics myself,love the 70s stuff cause i was there. but rules are rules please abide by them,don't get the thread closed.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  10. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

Yes your are correct,,,if you look at this thread in totality ( 5,000 posts and 250 pages of posts !!) and the % of posts that are off topic,,this thread is not that bad,,,the greatest % of the posts here ARE on topic.

over 1,000,000 hits,,by far the most popular spot on the HAMB,

We will try to abide by the rules,,,but sometimes a new poster gets a little excited about finding this thread.

I really enjoyed every picture form every era.

11. Keith Koether

Keith Koether

Well I guess that leaves me out! I'm not old enough to have taken any pictures old enough to qualify. As I said earlier I was going by the original post in this thread that said "from the beginning thru 85 or so" I assumed what I was posting was OK in this thread. I have stretched it to 86 with some of my pictures. I just find it ironic that after 2.5 years of allowing this thread to grow according to the quote from post #1 that suddenly I and others are off topic when the topic of the original post was "from the beginning thru 85 or so" I've spoken my piece now. I will begin removing anything I have posted and will find somewhere else to post it. I do have some of my stuff over on Track Forum in the NASCAR Forum. Those of you who want to stay in touch send me a PM as I will keep this account for a week or so then close it. It was fun while it lasted.

12. never enuf time

never enuf time

Please don't stop posting pics from the 70s & 80s I have loved all of the pic's of the old stock cars but, especially loved the early seventies- early eighty's late models/ASA ,as that is what my dad took me to.

I look forward to each posting, as currently can't afford a project & don't know when I will.

So reliving the past helps my automotive craving, without having a ride to work on.

Well either way, I will follow the HAMB & where ever the great 70s-80s pics go, I'll follow them.

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

I believe the Drag Cars in Motion and the Cool Pics Threads ( I & II ) are both bigger than this one.

And we have asked them to get those Threads back On Topic as well.

I appologise for not discovering how Off Topic this Thread was sooner.

When I did look at it I found that I had to go back several pages to find one On Topic car, and then several more to find the next one.

So, please stay On Topic.

There are other places that Ryan has provided where the newer cars are welcome.

This one is for Trad Hot Rods and Trad Customs.

14. 35outlaw

35outlaw

I don't see the problem, I have enjoyed these pictures. If the government boys at "the Hamb" are this strict , then I am done with it. If this thread only had 60's and under stock cars in it I wouldn't be interested in looking at it anyway. I am taking my toys to another sandbox, bookmark deleted.........

15. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

John Anderson mid-60's
    (by the rules)

16. cherokee

cherokee

Yeah, I remember that too. As a matter of fact, here is the quote from the first message in this thread.

17. hammer bowling

hammer bowling

Are you a moderator, metalshapes?

18. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

I've only been on this thread for about a year and tried to contribute to "Historic Stock Car Photos", the title of the thread when I joined. I don't want to take sides here (and maybe there is a "domain" problem here that I am not aware of), but as one poster just pointed out, how can the thread have gone wrong with over a million hits? I never saw anything, title or otherwise, on this thread about Hot Rods or Customs, nor would I even have opened it if it was titled as such. Perhaps, as popular as this thread is (and already established in Google for those searching for old stock car pictures), it can be left alone to function as "Historic Stock Car Photos" (perhaps with a date limit, say 1985, latest, so "historic" will technically still apply and no poster will have "overstepped" by more than a year or two....I suggest IndyJohn to decide since, technically, he started the thread) and a new thread started for fans of Customs/Hot Rods with the caveat that said thread be limited specifically (and emphatically) to Customs/Hot Rods with those interested in old stock car photos be directed to this thread. Of course, there is no requirement to leave this thread up if virtually every poster on it has violated some original intent of the board founders, but it just might be a very nice (and popular) gesture with very little downside. Just my 2 cents worth.

19. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Folks I'm exploring the idea of registering and posting over at the Dogfight message board where the monitor recommended.

I will let you know once its up and running......

While I like this site I have too much that is beyond what they are permitting........

In addition to late 60's through 80's asphalt late models I also have scrapbook photos and stories on literally 1,000 of more drivers/cars for both asphalt and dirt.......supers, mods, sprints, you name it in addition to late models....all short track oval stuff.....

It looks like I could start a thread there and do just about any catagory so I will consider this sometime next week......

Stay tuned.............

20. 4everblue

4everblue

I've read and greatly enjoyed every page of this thread. I'm totally bewildered by the nit picking. The date limit was set at 85' and quite frankly I haven't seen very many that were newer. I really enjoyed the postings of the ASA cars from the eighties and if they aren't historic then what is???

"This one is for Trad Hot Rods and Trad Customs." ????? What gives with that? The title reads Historic stock cars.

21. 239flathead

239flathead

this thread was getting along just find , its just like anything else there are a few things that are off topic but you have that any where , I see nothing wrong with the mid 80's Nascar and ASA being posted , thanks for the help but I think this thread will police its self

22. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

You guys are missing something here.........When I was a kid growing up in the 70's in Milwaukee. We had the local dirt tracks and The Milwaukee Mile! Saturday night was the Hales Corners Speedway, Wednesday Night was Cedurburg Speedway,Thursday night the dirt track inside the Milwaukee Mile. Sundays The Milwaukee Mile!....Fair Week and the Milwaukee Journals Active Americans On Wheels! If it was a straight liner or a Roundy round, It made horse power it shouldn't matter! In the 70's and later The Authorities made it virtually impossible to cruise on 27th street (leon's custard) and the highway (Hwy 100 or lovers lane). I lost my license once and almost again drag racing on the street in my '67 camaro. Need I mention the new points system (12) in Wisconsin for your driver licence and not to mention Insurance! Great Lakes was over an hour away and The Corners was 15 min from my house...I sold my "hot rod" and bought a roundy round! Soooooooooo......After racing for over 25 yrs.....waisting all my money......I retired! I'm now building Hot rods! I guess if it moves and has horse power whats the difference?......just my opinion.... and we know what that means!

23. jrose7004

jrose7004

I have followed this thread since way before I registered and have looked at and enjoyed every page. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be allowed to continue!

24. metalshapes

metalshapes

Hberg Lives, I want to thank you for keeping your cool and just calmy looking for a sollution for this.

Thanks for being on the HAMB, and hopefully soon, on the Dogfight.

25. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

what is "dogfight"

26. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

27. metalshapes

metalshapes

28. [​IMG]

Before ya'll get mad at metalshapes, please allow me to do a little "language interpretation" here

The above car is my storage container, the "body" is a 1933 Chevy Coupe- that fits

My Dad raced it in 1968-'69, which to some would make it a "1968 race car", and the way you guys are literally taking the definition, it wouldn't fit..

"I think" metalshapes is meaning the BODYSTYLES need to be mid-60's and earlier, which "IF" this thread were to get back into that mode of thought, and consistently stay there, we might even get away now and then with a bodystyle from up the late '60s and possibly up to 1972(maybe) without getting far enough off topic inso that something has to be done.

I LIVE old race cars everyday, love this thread and feel it is an important aspect of bringing the old genre of these cars back into a spotlight on a large scale here.

1 guy wants a 1969 bodystyle, then his best friend comes on here and posts a 1973, then the next guy somewhere posts 1975, and so on.......and nobody says anything

And yes, one day the next group coming in here will be posting their "vintage IMCA MODIFIEDS", which will be replaced by "vintage MINI-STOCKS" etc. Yes, people do that and ruin the core of what really makes it work to begin with. .....and nobody says anything- still the product that built it, has gone away to a "Traditional" site.

I, along with others in my area, am trying to get a vintage race car group off the ground, and I see this misinterpretation every single damn day, somewhere.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  29. My other fetish is getting to see 1955-'57 Chevy short track cars - with dents and mud! Glass free, and useless for any restoration project, other than short track purposes.

30. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey